Opinions on new Gibsons

Daniel Kamerman

• Members

I'm still amazed at the number of guitarists I meet that can't wind a string properly around the tuning peg. Sadly, most of them automatically blame the tuners for not being able to hold the rat nest of string windings.

Even the {censored}tiest, open gear tuners will hold tune if you wind the string properly. It's really not that hard. 2-3 wraps with no slack on the peg.

Mine didn't stay in tune too well until I had it setup, I think the nut not being cut correctly can cause the string(s) to bind or something like that. :facepalm::lol:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm still amazed at the number of guitarists I meet that can't wind a string properly around the tuning peg. Sadly, most of them automatically blame the tuners for not being able to hold the rat nest of string windings.

Even the {censored}tiest, open gear tuners will hold tune if you wind the string properly. It's really not that hard. 2-3 wraps with no slack on the peg.

Nine times out of ten people wrongly blame the tuners. It's usually a poorly cut nut.

• Members

Yeah new Gibsons always have {censored}ty nuts. Both of my gibsons are from the custom shop, and both had badly filed nut slots the strings got caught in the nut and made it really hard to tune until I fixed them.

From what I hear Gibsons are getting better, but at the current rate of improvement, its gonna be a few more years until theyre up to standard.

• Members

I bought a 2006 SG Faded for pretty cheap just intending to sell it (they sell for like $1500 here in brazil), but it's so surprisingly awesome that I've decided to keep it

it's one of the best, loudest and more resonant mahogany guitars I've played, along with a 2000 Flying V Gothic

of course it wouldn't sound that great with the stock cold and lifeless 498/490 Gibson pickups (I hate them and the burstbuckers)

I've played several other older and way more expensive Gibsons that were no near as great sounding (not bad ones, though)

• Members

Sounds good, if I don't like it I can always turn around and sell it too, but I have a feeling I'll like it, I'm so used to Ibanez necks, playing this baseball bat of a neck might be kind of weird at first.

the 50's neck isn't really fat at all....its just not a wafe like those anorexic Ibanez types. If you've played an american strat - think slightly fatter n rounder...thats all!! No big deal. Me I prefer the 50's neck by miles...and I was brought up on Ibanez necks! I've had 2 LP Standards - my first was a 60's 2004 standard...neck was not too different to an Ibanez wizard...too skinny!! Then I got a 2006 Standard with a 50's neck..much better! But for it to be perfect I'd have it even fatter! Have no worries about the 50's neck being a baseball neck cos it really is no such thing!! To me the 60's neck would be right for women and children. ;)

• Members

I do really like how them faded stds look when they've been buffed to a shine, they look a bit more........i dunno.....vintage-y if you get me?

yeah

some look a bit weird, but I like the look of mine

it's dark brown

the fretboard looked like {censored}, very dry, stained and bright, so I used some fiebings dye and now it looks just like the really really dark brazilian rosewood board I had in a handbuilt brazilian Les Paul copy

I could sell it for a good money and import an used SG Standard without spending a coin, but that would be a shot in the dark

I've played a 1990 '61 reissue standard that was a piece of crap, so I'll never sell this one before finding another SG that sounds and plays as nice as this one

• Members

I have a little crack on my fretboard at like the 15th fret on the bottom half of the fretboard (if you're looking at it at playing position). I'm wondering if I should be concerned about it. It has not got any worse and it's only between one fret. I've adjusted my neck knowing I had the crack and it didn't make it worse. :idk:

Archived