"My version" of a SLO-Clone

Duesentrieb

• Members

Would the treble attenuation trick work on a jcm 800?

mine is very peaky and trebly

the video was before I stripped it up

the power amp I used helped with the smoothness too (it had 2 x 6550 but was very saggy and got compressed easily)

now it has 22n wima couplings, 1M/1n after the first coupling, 470p bright cap, 2k7/.68 first stages, 10k instead of 39k on the third stage and 820/1u on the last stage (this one was 1k5/4u7 before)

so it's more like a bogner than a slo now

I also swapped the 68k input for 10k only and tonestack resistor to 47k

but that's something wrong, cause it starts to squeal a lot if anything touches the pots

I actually liked the low voltage thing, cause it sustained like no other tube amp bogners and laneys usually have really low voltages too

but I don't know what's causing the oscillation thing

this preamp is actually the guinea pig for the full head I'm ordering with my bandmate

most of the circuit was based on standard Marshall values, Bogner XTC, CAE 3+SE (including a post loop baxandall EQ) and some Larry Dino and novosibir's tips on metroamp forums (including a PPIMV and some treble attenuation tricks on the power amp section)

I was going to try some herbert values on this preamp too

what can I do to correct the oscillation problems?

I resoldered a lot of wire and stuff trying to correct it, but I can't find where's the problem
:cry:
it was working fine before I messed with something
:facepalm:
when i first tested it, sounded something between a Laney GH100L and a XTC

thick but kinda tight sounding with a ton of midrange crunch
:love:

thanks, Olaf!

and sorry for hijacking your thread
:lol:

• Members

Would the treble attenuation trick work on a jcm 800?

mine is very peaky and trebly

sure

add a grid resistor to the phase inverter input from 100k to 220k, 120pf capacitor in parallel with its plate resistors, increase the "fizzy cap" that links the PI outputs from 47pf to 120pf, increase the grid resistors to the power tubes to something around 10k, maybe 22k, swap the rectification and bias 1n4007 diodes for ultra freds (UF5408)

these are very subtle tone shaping tricks to cut fizz and excessive high end and you probably won't notice too much difference if you try only one or two of them, but they definitely work well together

swap the 22n caps on the PI input and output for 47n for a thicker tone

if the low end starts to get fuzzy or too smooth, you can reduce the negative feedback loop resistor from 100k to something around 39k (SLO/5150), 47k (Plexi) or 68k (Shiva)

this will make the low end tighter and increase the picking response, definition and volume

will lose some low end depth, though

also, you can tweak the preamp section too

you can put a 470pf or 1n cap in parallel with 2nd gain stage plate resistor (like most amps have), maybe take out the bright caps (I actually like them)

taking out or drastically reducing the 68k input resistor increases the picking response, but makes the raw tone thicker and a bit less fizzy

there are some 3 stage jcm based amps that can be easily cloned on a jcm 800 preamp: bogner shiva, bogner fish shark channel, bogner xtc blue mode, cae 3+ crunch channel, naylor superdrive 60, krank chadwick

but if you wanna keep the jcm tone, the power amp mods only won't take that off the amp

• Members

Oszillation: Add grid resistors, pull down the signal with 220k to ground after the gain pot, use a smaller valued gainpot (500k, 220k) and shield to grids.

I think it has 470k grids before every stage (except the first)

the gain pot is 470k

I think I'll have to take it to my tech friend :cry:

sounds very crunchy (when not touching anything) but seems like part of the gain is gone

it had a ton of gain on 4-5

now on 8 it doesn't sustain as before :(

still sounds good, though

thanks again, Olaf! :thu:

• Members

You should give some tipps then, Doug:

1. Use a star

2. always ground at the corresponding cathode-ground

f.i.

input jack - cathode V1A;

gain pot - same;

mid pot - CF ground;

Presence - the 4k7 if you are using a Marshall LTP PI and the 4k7 isn't mounted to the pot

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Bump for later, what did you change deuse?

I heard that one of the things that you ussually change is making the crunch more like the x88, it's a one resistor difference right?

Well any how I'm building an slo clone, you guys have any advice?

Archived