Is Jimmy Page A Sloppy Or A Clean Player?

Marshredder

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'd say best guitarist at that time
that was and still is ridiculously famous
. There was tons of better guys back then.

That was my argument in another thread.

Rory Gallagher and Sweet's Andy Scott are two contemporaries of that time that I can name off the top of my bald head that were great players but nowhere near as famous

Page penned some great songs but Jones and Bonham were the engine of the Led Zeppellin sound.

• Members

Page penned some great songs but Jones and Bonham were the engine of the Led Zeppellin sound.

Oddly enough, Page hasn't played on worthy note since Bonham died. Bonham could make anyone sound good.

Page was great in his own right, though. He did some tough pull-offs.

• Members

This thread is fitting...

I fell off' the Zep wagon again this week, and have been obsessing on the Re-release of TSRTS Movie, with the extra cuts. That was a long ass concert with the extra music. It rocks.

LZ is my favorite band, and they killed it in the 70's... 'Ain't no fanboy bands today that can even compare.

• Members

Blues that's tight and precise is boring.

I agree, its more about the feel. Overbending, microbending and looseness just adds to atmosphere of the music.

The same could be said about Page. He can play really loose, or very precise if needed, but more poeople remember their songs where Page was playing pretty loose like Rock and Roll IMHO.

• Members

True, can you imagine what that song would sound like played very precisely?

Not everyone is a Vai/super-technical-precise-guitarist fan.

Exactly, blues and rock don't have to follow the beat with precision. Thats what gives it some soul.

• Members

True, can you imagine what that song would sound like played very precisely?

Not everyone is a Vai/super-technical-precise-guitarist fan.

Exactly. I was having this conversation with my brother. He wants to cover that song in his band, but his bandmates can't play loose like that.

• Members

Exactly, blues and rock don't have to follow the beat with precision. Thats what gives it some soul.

Especially so in the psychedelic rock era side of things. You really want too much distortion, too much reverb, too much volume, a little too much of a bend.

Interestingly something thats slightly flawed is harder to reproduce than something thats perfect.

• Members

I agree, its more about the feel. Overbending, microbending and looseness just adds to atmosphere of the music.

The same could be said about Page. He can play really loose, or very precise if needed, but more poeople remember their songs where Page was playing pretty loose like Rock and Roll IMHO.

I agree, but Page to me was 'too sloppy'. You dont hear that kind of inconsistancy in guys like Albert King or Rory Gallagher. Sure, Ive heard those blues tribute albums by shredmasters and it was basically a soul-less 'blues-o-mania' licksfest, but Page was on the oppositte side of that spectrum. A lot of times he sounded like he had only played guitar for a few weeks(exaggeration).

On a lighter note, Page did have many awesome moments and I would much rather hear him play the blues than Steve Vai

• Members

I agree, but Page to me was 'too sloppy'. You dont hear that kind of inconsistancy in guys like Albert King or Rory Gallagher. Sure, Ive heard those blues tribute albums by shredmasters and it was basically a soul-less 'blues-o-mania' licksfest, but Page was on the oppositte side of that spectrum. A lot of times he sounded like he had only played guitar for a few weeks(exaggeration).

But again think of Rock and Roll or Black Dog played by vai or some other precise mechanical guitarist, more than likely it would suck. Page also was a studio musician for awhile and played on bunches of records, if he was that sloppy he wouldnt have done this, plus some of the acoustic stuff he does is definetly not sloppy. He could be sloppy but he could also turn it off and be very precise,which is a gift i think. Do you think Vai could be sloppy ala' Page even if he tried? Do you think it would sound good?

On a lighter note, Page did have many awesome moments and I would much rather hear him play the blues than Steve Vai

Very much in agreement here. Heck im not even sure Vai can play blues, maybe bluez but not blues.

• Members

jimmy is a riff master, but he played beyond his speed limit.

Exactly. Within his limits, he did some amazing stuff that was clean playing...there should have been a third option "depends what he is playing"

There is always this craptacular gem, though...

[YOUTUBE]p35XWzYrUWk[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I love it when fanboys list their reasons on why differing opinions on their most revered subject don't apply because of reasons xyz.

YOU WOULD BE SLOPPY TOO IF YOU WERE STRUNG OUT ON HEROIN AND JACK AND PLAYED BLUES AND WERE ONE OF THE MOST FAMOUS GUITAR GODS OF ALL TIME

Archived