Is Jimmy Page A Sloppy Or A Clean Player?

Marshredder

• Members
thats because people who really play guitar

in the real world know whats going on.

In cyber, the ones who bash the most play the least.

You sir, are correct.

I'm not a super Zepplunds fan, but do recognize JP's contribution to rock and roll. Listening to his Royal Albert hall tone with those Hiwatts gets my blood pumping everytime I hear it.
:cool:

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
You know, there was a time when the internet didn't exist, and you didn't hear any Page bashing. He and john paul jones were revered as gods.

HEEHAW speaks the truth. I never knew Page was sloppy till I got on HC.

• Members
I do.
:thu:

I'm using this thread as a tribute to my absolute favorite guitar player ever born.

Nothing personal about Page.

It's just these "is this well-recieved guitarist actually a piece of horse{censored} child-molesting should-have-his-hands-removed-for-sucking-so-much-dick player?" and "is this guy who everyone thinks is a stupid asshole {censored} we hope he dies immediately actually a good player in {censored}ty ugly {censored}you disguise?" threads get REALLY old.

Who CARES if a good player is secretly not that good, or a crappy player is secretly sort of awesome, or our preceptions of a famous guy are exactly what we thought they were and he's sort of OK at his instrument sometimes? Worry about your own playing and quit being so negative and bickering about other people's abilities and knocking other people for playing while you're sitting on ass and not.

• Members

Nothing personal about Page.

It's just these "is this well-recieved guitarist actually a piece of horse{censored} child-molesting should-have-his-hands-removed-for-sucking-so-much-dick player?" and "is this guy who everyone thinks is a stupid asshole {censored} we hope he dies immediately actually a good player in {censored}ty ugly {censored}you disguise?" threads get REALLY old.

Who CARES if a good player is secretly not that good, or a crappy player is secretly sort of awesome, or our preceptions of a famous guy are exactly what we thought they were and he's sort of OK at his instrument sometimes? Worry about your own playing and quit being so negative and bickering about other people's abilities and knocking other people for playing while you're sitting on ass and not.

wtf? I don't see where I was being negative towards anyone's playing.

• Members

Fripp and a few others ( McLaughlin, Howe ) during the 70's
never played their live songs the same way twice, and each show was unique
That keeps me interested. Even their solo's were ever changing.

Dance of the Maya is a good example for McLaughlin. Live that song was never the same. Room for improv during solo sections. Those people were precise players, had chops for days . . . but knew how to keep things loose. Even though it was "fusion" or "Prog", during the 70's their style was more of the hard core inprov music played on cranked up amps and was raw.
Written parts sure but still loose during live shows.
Same with Zep
The Song Remains the Same needs to be changed to:
The Song is Never the Same Live:thu:
Their live shows were all unique.
Page never played the same solo's twice and always kept things interesting,
(No Quarter - live version :thu: ) they played like a jazz trio would (- Plant),
the band knew how to improvise live, played off each other... kept it loose and the bottom line, it ROCKED hard!
SLoppy > clean!

• Members

Page's sloppiness is legendary...guitar players have been talking about that since the 70's.

His slop falls under the catagory of "gloriously sloppy."

His playing is so chalk full of emotion and creativity that you can easily look past his lack of precision in his playing.

A real pioneer of rock guitar playing!!!

• Members

That is not a point. I'm asking on what grounds do people say that one player has more soul or feeling than another, if it isn't arbitrary labeling of favorites, then what is it? There isn't anything emotionally intrinsic about music since all music is comprised of is a series of notes put to a rhythm of some sort. At what defining point does a musician have soul, or even more soul, then his contemporaries?

If there's no answer for that, then you could eliminate "soul" from the judging of abilities and look at it from a more objective standpoint of technical prowess and varied ability in a piece of music. If that was the approach we took, being that there is no real soul or feeling in music, then of course Jimmy Page is a sloppy player and that's that.

some people when you hear them play, you can hear the personality of every note, and the humanistic almost voice-like qualities of it...some notes sing softly, while others sing loudly, and others scream. to some people music is a mathematical formula of notes, to others it's something very different.

if you can't listen to bb king or srv and hear the emotion and soul in their playing, then this is something no one can ever explain to you.

• Members
i love zeppelin, but i can admit that page sounded like a god in the studio, and often times like a drunk onstage. while his songwriting was more intricate and complex, he's pretty much always been a blues player as well.

some people when you hear them play, you can hear the personality of every note, and the humanistic almost voice-like qualities of it...some notes sing softly, while others sing loudly, and others scream. to some people music is a mathematical formula of notes, to others it's something very different.

if you can't listen to bb king or srv and hear the emotion and soul in their playing, then this is something no one can ever explain to you.

Don't forget that a lot of Zep studio stuff had upwards of 20-30 guitar tracks layered in, and most of the stuff was just impossible to do live.

However, I LOVE SRV, BB King, Jimi, Gilmore, etc... I just said they play different styles from Page. ;) I'd never say any of them are better than the others. SRV in particular was my other main influence, and the reason I play Fender amps with a TS9. He's just drastically different from Page.

FWIW I know you're not the stereotypical metalhead that thinks only Metal guitarists are good. I'm just pointing out that what you consider to be slop, is what some of us consider extremely emotional guitar playing.

• Members

i have no problem if someone has a different opinion than my own. i've been playing guitar for 12 years now, the first 5-6 years of that i was very much a rock/jazz player with VERY little metal influence at all. even today i can play more hendrix and zeppelin tunes than i can anything remotely close to the style of metal i usually play now.

i can see what's appealing about page's live playing, it's just not something i could personally enjoy all that much. just like i think SRV was an amazing player, but a pretty lousy songwriter for the most part.

• Members
Page's sloppiness is legendary...guitar players have been talking about that since the 70's.

His slop falls under the catagory of "gloriously sloppy."

His playing is so chalk full of emotion and creativity that you can easily look past his lack of precision in his playing.

A real pioneer of rock guitar playing!!!

I look past it all because to me it just SOUNDS good to my ears
Sounds right.
Sometimes it is good to be a listener and forget I play guitar, instead of picking stuff apart.
Guit Fiddle players meh
we are the worst musical critics :evil:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Nothing wrong with being sloppy, but why're people saying in this thread that good technique takes away "soul"?

At least that's the vibe I'm getting.

Surely if a Photographer takes a photo, and it's out of focus and blurry, that doesn't make it any better?

Archived