Is Jimmy Page A Sloppy Or A Clean Player?

Marshredder

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
That's how blues based rock bands work. They get "in the moment" and play their asses off.

This is especially true with Zep, as they never really played the studio versions live. Ever. You're just severely out of your element here, and have no idea what you're talking about. Metal players seem to thrive on their clean, technical playing, however that style of "solo" would be total garbage to those of us that dig Zeppelin. What you consider sloppy, is what we consider soulful, emotional playing. On that same note, that's why I hate shred guitar. No emotion and far too precise as if every note was written out beforehand. That just involves practicing repetitively until it's perfect. Emotion cannot be taught.

If you'll notice, Pagey always finishes clean and where he wants to be. If not he bends the note until it fits. The dude knew/knows what he was/is doing.
:cool:

hendrix, srv, and gilmour were also known playing their asses off, and going more on feel than technique...i think it worked better for them in live situations than it did with pagey

there are some guys (like the ones i mentioned) who can play based on emotion and feel while still keeping a good sense of timing and musicianship in what they do...chances are they didn't sit around for hours with a metronome improving their technique, they were able to do it naturally and it worked for them

i envy guys like that, they have a god given talent that i don't...my own playing is definitely a lot more technical because it's what i'm good at so i tend to stick to it, but i don't discredit guys who play something else because it's what they're good at...just because i'm a metal player doesn't mean i have no clue what i'm talking about

• Members

my favorite part of that meshuggah vid too is the little captions reading 'jimmy page: hall of fame'.... :lol:

i really don't mean to malign a phenomenally talented band like meshuggah either... i really enjoy their music... but my point is definitely that machinelike perfection isn't necessarily music JUST because it's perfect...

i think it's pertinent to throw out that a diverse batch o' influences is important to having a musical vision that's not so... er... limiting.. {censored}.. i love JP, but i'm equally influenced by the likes of page hamilton... ain't gotta be one way about it! slop OR machine... i'll taker 'er all in, and it all informs my playing!

• Members

apologies to meshuggah...

but in effort to make my point, i claim collateral damage.

"Mad props" sir. Very rarely do I actually laugh out loud at posts on here but gatdamn.

As for the the sloppiness in question, all a gotta say is Page brings a certain precision to slop, love it or leave it.

• Members

hendrix, srv, and gilmour were also known playing their asses off, and going more on feel than technique...i think it worked better for them in live situations than it did with pagey

there are some guys (like the ones i mentioned) who can play based on emotion and feel while still keeping a good sense of timing and musicianship in what they do...chances are they didn't sit around for hours with a metronome improving their technique, they were able to do it naturally and it worked for them

i envy guys like that, they have a god given talent that i don't...my own playing is definitely a lot more technical because it's what i'm good at so i tend to stick to it, but i don't discredit guys who play something else because it's what they're good at...
just because i'm a metal player doesn't mean i have no clue what i'm talking about

I disagree. In this case, that is exactly the situation. Page rocked, and it's not your thing. I get that, but he was and still is a master of his craft. Such an explosive player, that played in a different style than the guys you listed. SRV played straight blues, Jimi was a blues guy at heart, and Gilmore? {censored} dude, he's about as smooth as they come. Dude doesn't hit wrong notes. Page on the other hand played with a fiery passion, and always knew what was going on. His solos were jagged, explosive and new each time he played them. There were certain "bases" he'd hit throughout the solo, and if you'll notice his band was always right there. You really think they'd be able to play 20-30 minute renditions of their songs if he was just up there playing sloppy leads? No, he knew what was going on, and Zepp fans love(d) it.

If you need any further proof, just remember Page is considered a guitar God for a reason and it wasn't just Zepp's studio albums. I'll concede that the '88 video posted earlier was sloppy, but I still contend there was something going on with the gear. The tone is weak, and you can see him gasping for some controlled feedback with none to be found.

• Members

Again, how are you gauging feel on this one? Is it exaggerated faces when they make a three semi tone bend for 3 bars? Is it how they rock their back at the peak of their solo? There is nothing intrinsically emotional about their playing, it's all something you add into it. "Feel" and "emotion" are just vague qualifiers people use to arbitrarily separate music that is good or not to them under the pretext that it is something that the artist has that others don't.

• Members
Again, how are you gauging feel on this one? Is it exaggerated faces when they make a three semi tone bend for 3 bars? Is it how they rock their back at the peak of their solo? There is nothing intrinsically emotional about their playing, it's all something you add into it. "Feel" and "emotion" are just vague qualifiers people use to arbitrarily separate music that is good or not to them under the pretext that it is something that the artist has that others don't.

Lulz.

youhavefailedpleasedie.jpg

• Members

In this case he's right.

That is not a point. I'm asking on what grounds do people say that one player has more soul or feeling than another, if it isn't arbitrary labeling of favorites, then what is it? There isn't anything emotionally intrinsic about music since all music is comprised of is a series of notes put to a rhythm of some sort. At what defining point does a musician have soul, or even more soul, then his contemporaries?

If there's no answer for that, then you could eliminate "soul" from the judging of abilities and look at it from a more objective standpoint of technical prowess and varied ability in a piece of music. If that was the approach we took, being that there is no real soul or feeling in music, then of course Jimmy Page is a sloppy player and that's that.

• Members

That is not a point. I'm asking on what grounds do people say that one player has more soul or feeling than another, if it isn't arbitrary labeling of favorites, then what is it? There isn't anything emotionally intrinsic about music since all music is comprised of is a series of notes put to a rhythm of some sort. At what defining point does a musician have soul, or even more soul, then his contemporaries?

If there's no answer for that, then you could eliminate "soul" from the judging of abilities and look at it from a more
objective
standpoint of technical prowess and varied ability in a piece of music. If that was the approach we took, being that there is no real soul or feeling in music, then of course Jimmy Page is a sloppy player and that's that.

Don't dare call yourself a musician. Music appreciation and one could argue music in general has zero objectivity.

• Members

Actually, since music is only particular frequencies of sound with a certain timbre, occurring at different instances of time, you can break it down to a very objective level. You could hear a piece of music and write down the number of bum notes that were played, the amount of times that the player went out of key, variances in keys and rhythms, etc. There is a lot to objectively measure in music.

Archived