Is Jimmy Page A Sloppy Or A Clean Player?

Marshredder

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

what the hell happaned there???? its like his output dropped 50 % on his lp.

ON topic....His "sloppiness" I truly envy. I love the dirty sound he always played. He is playing an instrument as an art form, not for accuracy points or to be graded on tonal accuracy. No one ever asked if picasso or monet were sloppy......its just there style.

Its funny cause I had this same convo with one of my non guitar buddies the other day when he said the most articulate, and tightest guitar player in history was/is Page. You want accuracy/tightness Look to petrucci or that japanese guy that i could give a {censored} less about. I want soul in my guitar playing.

• Members

i always wonder why this comes up... truthfully, i think the only people who care are people who practice to metronomes religiously.

he had an impeccable sense of rhythm and swing, and wrote GREAT songs. were they melodic and poppy? sometimes, but mostly not.. but his sense of time and push and pull rhythmically totally helped define SEVERAL generations of players...

i'll add another answer to the poll:

c) who cares, i like music.

• Members
i always wonder why this comes up... truthfully, i think the only people who care are people who practice to metronomes religiously.

he had an impeccable sense of rhythm and swing, and wrote GREAT songs. were they melodic and poppy? sometimes, but mostly not.. but his sense of time and push and pull rhythmically totally helped define SEVERAL generations of players...

i'll add another answer to the poll:

c) who cares, i like music.

:thu:

His ability to play around the beat is second to none. I have to say Page influenced my playing more so than any other guitar player. :cool:

• Members

When I hear "Jimmy Page is sloppy" I replace the word sloppy with "has character and a unique approach to the instrument". It's half of his and Zepp's appeal. They were loose and improvisatory, much due to the absolute domination that Bonham held over the rhythm of the song, with a drummer that good, you can stray a little and take chances.

Part of the reason that I find a lot of guitar playing today boring is because it sounds like some dude was trying to play as clinically "perfect" as possible, to the point where it sacrifices character and uniqueness, and ultimately sacrifices the music.

All that said, JP was and is to this day, the {censored}ing riff king. None can touch him in that regard.

• Members

If Jimmy, Robert, and the boys would have been scrutinized by the current music industry standards of today 40 years ago, there would be no Zeppelin as we know it today.

They were allowed to grow and develop in thier own way, and to make $$$ doing it.

It seems the thing to do today is get on the "bashing bandwagon" and focus on what someone "can't " do, I.E. american idol, instead of helping them build upon thier strengths.

Shows like idol, might make for good ratings & entertainment, but as long as people are being co-erced into what the "should be" or "what they need to be", we will never know who they really are or what they "could" be.:cop:

I feel the music industry ethics are as low as they can be.:facepalm:

It's not about the music anymore, it's about CD sales.:blah::blah::blah:

• Members

That was at the Atlantic records party in 1988. It was the first time he had played live in some time and it showed. I've read comments from Page and other musicians that he had a big problem with stage fright throughout much of his career. I think this night he may have had a little too much Jack before the show to calm his nerves. He has been quoted as saying that performance "did a lot of damage" to his reputation.

I think he rocks. I don't consider his playing sloppy, it was just his style of playing.

But you're right, that particular performance was a craptacular.

• Members
That was at the Atlantic records party in 1988. It was the first time he had played live in some time and it showed. I've read comments from Page and other musicians that he had a big problem with stage fright throughout much of his career. I think this night he may have had a little too much Jack before the show to calm his nerves. He has been quoted as saying that performance "did a lot of damage" to his reputation.

I think he rocks. I don't consider his playing sloppy, it was just his style of playing.

But you're right, that particular performance was a craptacular.

Everyone is allowed an awful night. :cop:

That late in his career, I don't think it did any damage to his rep.

• Members

What does it really matter if he was sloppy or if there were better guitarists at the time. Not everyone wants to sound like Yngwie Malmsteen.

Show me someone who influenced rock and roll more or inspired more people to pick up a guitar. His music helped define a generation. I wish I could play like he does. I wish I could play like Hendrix. If those two are considered sloppy then sign me up.

Archived