Is Jimmy Page A Sloppy Or A Clean Player?

Marshredder

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

His solo on No Quarter Live from the Ablum is sick! They buther the solo in the movie and cut it short... Page plays from the heart and is amazing in the whole movie... Sloppy is not really an applicable term ACFAIC...!

That solo kills me, from the comping during the keyboard solo, and all the way through. Talk about guys who listen to each other. I have a bootleg from 71 or 72 where Page does some sweep picking, the first and only time I've heard that from him.

• Members

He also does an arpeggiated sweep in the solo of Since I've been loving you.

Long before anyone else did that.

I grew with Jimmy Page being my idol, he's the reason I started playing guitar.

(I started out a drummer)

I've spent many years learning how to play like him, and I also have a lot of respect for his song writing and production.

Growing up I never once heard anyone say he's sloppy.

That all started in the 80's with some balless new wave guitar player

who was asked what he thought of Jimmy Page.

[YOUTUBE]YZMFG7A-O_A[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]jaHMGB5kwsQ[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

He also does an arpeggiated sweep in the solo of Since I've been loving you.

Long before anyone else did that.

I grew with Jimmy Page being my idol, he's the reason I started playing guitar.

(I started out a drummer)

I've spent many years learning how to play like him, and I also have a lot of respect for his song writing and production.

Growing up I never once heard anyone say he's sloppy.

That all started in the 80's with some balless new wave guitar player

who was asked what he thought of Jimmy Page.

Are you referring to the "two years old with a broken hand" comment?

• Members

I'm pretty sure that creativity and technical skill go hand in hand, it is only guitarists who suggest otherwise.

I'm sure that Michaelangelo's sculptures and paintings wouldn't have been a fraction as amazing if he didn't have the technical skill to supplement his own creativity. If Rachmaninoff didn't have the technical prowess in composing, the Vespers would have been another hack trying to pass off mediocrity.

If Jimmy Page plays a song cleanly, it is testament to his ability to play fluidly. If he plays a song sloppily, it is a testament to his creativity and how he doesn't need to be technically skilled.

Double standard.

• Members

I'm pretty sure that creativity and technical skill go hand in hand, it is only guitarists who suggest otherwise.

I'm sure that Michaelangelo's sculptures and paintings wouldn't have been a fraction as amazing if he didn't have the technical skill to supplement his own creativity. If Rachmaninoff didn't have the technical prowess in composing, the Vespers would have been another hack trying to pass off mediocrity.

If Jimmy Page plays a song cleanly, it is testament to his ability to play fluidly. If he plays a song sloppily, it is a testament to his creativity and how he doesn't need to be technically skilled.

Double standard.

i am, in fact, certain, that this is NOT the case.

i know way too many technically perfect guitarists who could put their skills better to being the worlds foremost touch typing speed champions FAR better than songwriting...

• Members
:thu:

His ability to play around the beat is second to none. I have to say Page influenced my playing more so than any other guitar player.
:cool:

AYE! :thu:

I wish I could play (Song Remains the Same "Dazed n Confused")
like he did after the bow part... That whole solo section RULES even if some of that was from 2 or 3 shows spliced together...

Oh one reason Page gets bashed is because everyone wishes they too had
Vintage Plexi's and REAL 1959 Les-Pauls to wank on ;):love:;)

• Members

Technical skill is absolutely irrelevant to creating compelling rock music. Doesn't mean a damn thing. It's not about that. I think to suggest otherwise is to show you don't get rock. And that's fine; I'm not asking you to. But shred metal and fusion are really pretty divorced from rock as genres, and applying their technical standards- which is where this "Page/Hendrix/etc. are sloppy lesser players" really comes from- is kind of a silly argument. The only people who think it matters are those looking to reinforce their own sense of superiority for playing or being into stuff that's super-chops focused.

• Members
Technical skill is absolutely irrelevant to creating compelling rock music. Doesn't mean a damn thing. It's not about that. I think to suggest otherwise is to show you don't
get
rock. And that's fine; I'm not asking you to. But shred metal and fusion are really pretty divorced from rock as genres, and applying their technical standards- which is where this "Page/Hendrix/etc. are sloppy lesser players" really comes from- is kind of a silly argument. The only people who think it matters are those looking to reinforce their own sense of superiority for playing or being into stuff that's super-chops focused.

"stuff that's super-chops focused"
This :facepalm:
I can take precise, technically executed guitar playing if it is applied in a Jazz context or classical or even orchestrated pieces . . . however in ROCK
HELL NO

I cannot think of too many players that are super-chops focused and at the same time can hold my interest. I like it loose

• Members
I can take precise, technically executed guitar playing if it is applied in a Jazz context or classical or even orchestrated pieces . . . however in ROCK

HELL NO

+1000.

I much prefer guys who are skating on the edge. Lee, Hendrix, Angus, Richards, EVH, SRV, BB King, there's tons of them, to a guy that is a super precise player that makes all the notes sound the same. That is not rock with fire and it's boring.:cool:

• Members

It's simply because rock music itself is a genre with low standards.

then all hail low standards.

you are seriously silly. if emotive standards were the bar set, there's some technical music that falls pretty freakin' short in that regard... so i'd just let 'er go...

• Members
Led Zeppelin would have sounded pretty {censored}ing stupid with Jeff Loomis wanking all over it.

and I'm a fan of both.

I swore I'd stay out of this thread
:mad:

here here!

it ain't the notes played, nor the number, but the appropriateness to the context....

• Members

in the studio he pulled everything off amazingly

live he was pure slop...you can praise him all you want for the better points of his playing and writing, i won't discredit any of that, the guy was sloppy

hendrix wasn't the cleanest of players either, but he made it work for his style better IMO

• Members
in the studio he pulled everything off amazingly

live he was pure slop...you can praise him all you want for the better points of his playing and writing, i won't discredit any of that, the guy was sloppy

hendrix wasn't the cleanest of players either, but he made it work for his style better IMO

That's how blues based rock bands work. They get "in the moment" and play their asses off.

This is especially true with Zep, as they never really played the studio versions live. Ever. You're just severely out of your element here, and have no idea what you're talking about. Metal players seem to thrive on their clean, technical playing, however that style of "solo" would be total garbage to those of us that dig Zeppelin. What you consider sloppy, is what we consider soulful, emotional playing. On that same note, that's why I hate shred guitar. No emotion and far too precise as if every note was written out beforehand. That just involves practicing repetitively until it's perfect. Emotion cannot be taught.

If you'll notice, Pagey always finishes clean and where he wants to be. If not he bends the note until it fits. The dude knew/knows what he was/is doing. :cool:

• Members
Led Zeppelin would have sounded pretty {censored}ing stupid with Jeff Loomis wanking all over it.

and I'm a fan of both.

This.

Loomis would sound as silly sweeping diminished arps on Led Zep tunes as Page would ripping blues licks on Nevermore tracks. :lol: Context is everything.

Archived