What is a relatively inexpensive amp for a Marshall-ish tone?

DarkHorseJ27

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Depending on what Marshall era and what particular sound you're after:

Tiny Terror, and old Sovteg mig, Blackstar HT-5,...

The HT-5 and the Tiny Terror don't have the headroom of a sovtek head though, so keep that in mind if you're planning to gig outdoors or play clubs that don't have a p.a. or something.

Peavey and Laney should also have something marshall-y that's within your budget.

• Members

Just buy a friggin Marshall already! If you want to sound like an 800 buy an 800. If you want to sound like a 900 buy a 900. Its pretty simple. Amps are selling for bottom dollar these days.

True, I see Marshall heads going dirt cheap at a local music store.

My HT5 head nails it pretty good though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

It depends on what your looking for I suppose. The Carvin will do more of that classic late 70's marshall sound, and has more bass than you might think. It has a real nice raw tone, and it has more than one channel(the vtm does not), but it is not a DSL clone by any means. You WILL have to play with it a bit to get tones you like. The VTM has way more gain, although it is capable of some pretty nice cleans through the low input. Like I mentioned before, the VTM is a single channel amp, although you could get a second channel added for under $300 through FJA or similar shops. Another cool thing about the VTM is that you can power 4(you read that right) 16 ohm cabs at once. At least with the 120, I'm not sure about the 60 watt version. I just read the part of your post where you asked which might be better for metal. I would say VTM hands down if that is the case.

• Members

We need to establish what exactly the "marshall tone" is. Angus Young does'nt sound anything like Randy Rhoads and both use MArshall's. Allman Bros. don't sound anything like early VH and they both used Marshalls. Jimi Hendrix didn't sound anything like Slash and they both used Marshall's. Just sayin'.
:)

Honestly, while all those bands sound different, there is this familiar "british" marshall character to all of their tones. There is something certainly related and overlapping in their sounds.

Archived