The origin of Scooped Mids?

petejt

• Members

i don't really know the answer to the OP's question, but i just wanted to say i hate when i go to see a band and the guitar players scoop the {censored} out the mids. i'm talking big name bands that have been around for a while too. last weekend i went to see devildriver and one of the openers was suffocation, who have been around for over 20 years. both guitar players had the mids at 0. I was close enough to see the mid knobs on both amps. it just seems and sounds so amateurish for a band that has been around as long as them.

90% of metal bands i see have the typical 7/3/7 treble/mids/bass going on, yet somehow HCAF thinks its like this big deal if your mids arent on 10

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

actually they were. Especially compared to others at the time. His single coil solos on some stuff was very much lowered mids tone. He don't boost his lows rediculously like some of the modern stuff but he did pull the mids down noticeably.

none of the early zz top stuff sounds "scooped" to me. maybe a few of the solos here and there but that'd be it. :idk:

• Members

:rawk:
:rawk:

Some badass {censored}e right there.

Hell yeah! Scooped mids were like an extra member in these bands.

Buzzsaw guits are often just have more character than yet another wall of sound sensible mids.

{censored} is too polished these days. It's metal, not a shuttle launch.

• Members

Hetfield/Metallica scooping the mids on his Mesa Rectifiers for Enter Sandman in 1991.

Collective Soul detuning to Db & scooping the mids on their JCM900's for Shine in 1993.

Two things, Metallica weren't using Rectifiers on Enter Sandman, for one thing the album was recorded before the Dual Recto even came out...

Ever heard Master of puppets? That's some mid-scooped tones right there, and that was back in 1986. They used Mark IIC+ amps with the graphic EQ and completely scooped the mids (same amp they used for the black album).

I can't listen to that album anymore, gives me headache. But when I was younger I thought this was the most badass tone ever. And I was all excited to replicate it when I got a Mark IV 3 years ago... then I sold it and don't miss it :idea:

• Members

More Venom!!

[YOUTUBE]salJIfDdII4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]VQnzXf4hZCA[/YOUTUBE]

QVFokztGgqo

[YOUTUBE]Sm2q8rrU_KM[/YOUTUBE]

Kreator:

[YOUTUBE]yPh_sXsZXuU[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]Q8sfDQuTaDs[/YOUTUBE]

Exodus:

[YOUTUBE]BoTxM1tIs88[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]fzH7_mCk_uY[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]kiH2h143sb0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]cyxdImihyOo[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]zAWfGXr6pJ4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]fonIwVy-vPk[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Actually, I think it might have been the band named 'Boston' in the mid-70's.

Apparently two of them had Master's degree in electronics from MIT or something like that, and they were pretty inventive. I don't think they called it 'scooped mids', but I'm thinking that that's what it was.

I believe it was just Scholz that graduated from MIT with a Master's in ME. And as stated before, he primarily boosted his mids.

• Members

As somebody who's into metal very different from the new stuff - somewhat scooped mids with the gain knob rolled off just works.

Now this is whats important ... cleans must be 100% scooped unless you're playing blues with overdrive, then midz are necessary. Mids have no place when playing spanky clean...

HT

• Members
Guest Anonymous

90% of metal bands i see have the typical 7/3/7 treble/mids/bass going on, yet somehow HCAF thinks its like this big deal if your mids arent on 10

HC is a lot of babies and used up soft rock geezers that don't know what they are talking about. Keyboard grammar mental wars are what's hip on HC.

• Members

No seriously, he's pretty well known for scooping the mids on his NMV JMPs and running a distortion+ into the amp, that combined with the AL speakers is scooped mid central.

Your mistake is thinking it's a bad thing.

Umm no...Randy ran is amp around 2 oclock on the mids and he ran his 10 band EQ with the mids boosted to about 6 in an inverted V shape..

• Members

Two things, Metallica weren't using Rectifiers on Enter Sandman, for one thing the album was recorded before the Dual Recto even came out...

Ever heard Master of puppets? That's some mid-scooped tones right there, and that was back in 1986. They used Mark IIC+ amps with the graphic EQ and completely scooped the mids (same amp they used for the black album).

I can't listen to that album anymore, gives me headache. But when I was younger I thought this was the most badass tone ever. And I was all excited to replicate it when I got a Mark IV 3 years ago... then I sold it and don't miss it
:idea:

MESA came out with the Dual Rectifier in Jan. 1991 and the Triple Rectifier a short time later. Marshall made the JCM900 2100 Hi-Gain MkIII from 1990-1992 and the JCM900 SL-X(Super Lead Extended) from 1993-1999 to compete with Mesa. I would say the production of these first two high-gain amps with tons of bottom end, EL-34 tubes and factory modded distortion coincides with the beginning of scooped mids to get more articulation from more distortion. The Carvin(gray Ozite) X-100B's from 1990-1994 had aggressive overdrive distortion as well and the built in 5 band EQ to scoop mids.

• Members

MESA came out with the Dual Rectifier in Jan. 1991 and the Triple Rectifier a short time later.

By that point Metallica had been in studio for 3 months or so...

And as stated they started heavily scooping their mids on Master of puppets (and of course AJFA). All 3 albums were mostly done using the IIC+.

They did add a parametric EQ in the loop on the black album for even more scooping madness.

Look at the EQ here, that's way before the Dual Rectifier time

jamesChead.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I believe it was just Scholz that graduated from MIT with a Master's in ME. And as stated before, he primarily boosted his mids.

Indeed he did.

And the tone he created became so popular as well, particularly when he made the Rockman headphone amp that captured most of his tone in a little battery-powered box and got everywhere......

[YOUTUBE]7MSYzT_LuZ8[/YOUTUBE]

I'm starting to think if the idea of scooping mids was a reaction to it? :confused:

Archived