OT:Why do people pierce their tongue and lips?

LA-Ü-RA

• Members

I agree, tats are pretty common with cops/security personnel.

The one who booked me had some roman numerals on his forearm, in plain sight.

The fact of the matter is, in our culture, there are stereotypes associated with body piercings and tattoos. Whether those stereotypes are true or not is a different story, but it'd be stupid to say they don't exist.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Really? Show me 2 cops with tongue rings, then one with a brow ring, and another with an emo tear tattoo under their right eye.... Don't worry, I'll wait bro...

D.A.
:facepalm:

What the {censored}? You have no idea do you? You're completely and utterly clueless...

Here's the straight goods dude... you're as superficial as the picture of a halloween wig you posted. You have zero clue as to what's happening out in the world around you. I'm responding about your comments in IT etc...I don't htink a guy with piercings and neck tattoos is going to be all that worried about $4.7 Billion engineering contracts. I would hope they would send a team of people on something that big ya dolt....

I know many a police officer with tattoos. I know plenty of directors and CEO's with ink. My Father was the Director of Engineering at an enormous international telecommunications firm for 15 years, and he has a Playboy Bunny tattoo on his shoulder.

Our VP of the group I work in is a chronic stoner... I work for the same telecommunications firm as my Dad did by the way....

You really don't get it. You haven't even named your industry that you work in. You're just citing by rote what you've been taught by an uptight business model, and to be quite frank, when there's Googles, Yahoo's, Macintosh's and other enormous companies that think outside the box, (iStock Photo is a big one here in Calgary...started by an ex-meth/coke addict BTW,) and you see folks like Cat Von Dee and Marilyn Manson becoming pop culture icons and are no longer fringe characters, and every star and starlette under the sun has tatoos and you're thinking Danica Patrick is a good reference point?

You sir, have great taste in amp's and no brain in your head. Good thing you don't need it making all that big money...here's a Les Paul, how about you go play a Bugera rofl!

The bottom, butt hurt free line is simply the (non perjorative) ignorance of folks like you. There is a clientelle and untapped resource you can work with when you hire alterna's like me with my holes in my ears. These folks think outside the box, and if you feel safe and secure in an environment of rigidity and "rectal professionalism", then it's probably best to stay safe and not hire people who are talented and tattied up.

I'm not saying everyone with a tattoo is a geniu or even talented, but I know I am and I know lots of people who are. And to be frank sir, if you aren't going to hire me because of ear lobes, I'm absolutely, A.I.D.S. is a pandemic in Africa positive that I would not work for you.

...go on, stuff your shirt, stick your nose in the air and enjoy that ridiculous income and nice suits, I'll have fun and be able to be myself AND have a professional career somewhere else...

-Curtis

• Members
Thats funny, Gold is a metal last I checked.... I have set off plenty with Jewelry but hey, they would rather waste their time and write {censored} for no reason right?....

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/05/14/tech/main617547.shtml
That took me maybe 2 seconds, and there are plenty more....

Wait.... no records exist........I just made that {censored} up, bought a server, wrote some text, uploaded, then registered for 2 years to host it.

Can somebody get this guy a Google toolbar PLEASE!

Sorry, I'm at work and don't have time to Google everything. I'll check that link when I get that break, but again I'm calling bull{censored}. I've flown plenty of time with piercings. I will give you however, that if you're wearing the wrong TYPE of metal in you're piercing it's possible. But if you're wearing the regular surgical steel there's no way.

• Members

For example.

took me seconds to google at least 3 agencies DEMANDING no visible tattoos. Wow, that was hard.

Moreover, that guys tattoo's are moderate, small, not a sleeve, nothing offensive, not skeletons, not a chick in a thong.. etc. Don't even try and argue the point dude, it's an instant loss.

I really don't think anyone is arguing wether it happens, or even arguing the validity of it. It's a loss for your company to glaze over a candidate because of piercings and tattoos. It's a plain mis-step for you.

What we are arguing though is that dinosaurs belong with dinosaurs. You are working in an oudated and miserably broken business model. Plain and simple. There are better companies who pay their people really well who LOVE the "weirdo's" and "emo's" as you so eloquently put it. :poke:

You just don't understand it. You've actually bought into the culture of your company so far that it's affecting your ability to reason and comprehend what others are saying in this thread. You're {censored}ed dude. I mean, you'll be financially sound, but you're {censored}ed...we all know what happened to the dinosaurs afterall...

-Curtis

• Members
Really? Show me 2 cops with tongue rings, then one with a brow ring, and another with an emo tear tattoo under their right eye.... Don't worry, I'll wait bro...

D.A.

Comprehension isn't your strong suit is it?

And an emo tear under their eye? The fact that you think it's emo shows how completely ignorant you are. I'm not going to get into a shouting match with someone as smart as a brick wall.

• Members

I've gotta say I'm proud of you {censored}ers, 134 posts of flamming, and no one has posted pictures of hot girls with piercings besides that ugly as hell one.

IS THIS NOT HCAF!?!?!?! :poke:

• Members
piercings.jpg

I would pay good money to see this person walk within 2 feet of one of those huge industrial magnets that lifts cars in dumps. They llok like Spawn real quick!

I've no issue with piercings though. Doesn't bother me in the least (sure I've seen some stupid ones, but whatever....ain't my skin). Hell, I got my left ear peirced in 4 places (12gauge, nothing major), and my septum. but i DO still have a morbid curiousity to see the above happen! :evil:

• Members
In the mid 80's, I was going to hardcore shows and I found it funny that folks were trying so hard to conform to the non-conformists.

Not sure what the comment about "sticking it to people like you" is supposed to mean. I just asked why people do it and stated that I don't get it. Sorry if that is offensive. Most people don't get why I still play metal at my ripe old age either but that is what I am into.
:idea:

It's not offensive. In fact I dunno why they'd want to do that, I just mean that it's a form of rebellion and making people feel uncomfortable :lol: I have zero body mods and never will either.

• Members

People said the same thing about guys with long hair 20 years ago
:cop:

I covered that already! Plus we have several guys :wave: in our offices that donate their locks to wigs for kids. As long as the hair is clean, groomed, and hidden under the collar, they have no problem with it. You just can't go around looking like Zakk Wylde, Slash, or some 80's glam boy talking to clients from around the world. You represent the company, and the company has standards. We hire more candidates with military (officer) backgrounds.

BTW- have you ever seen a pic of Kate Beckinsale with visible tat's, {censored}ed up teeth, stringy greasy hair, and multiple piercings? I think she'd look horrible with a tattoo sleeve!

• Members

There is a happy medium, I have a large portion of my body tat'd but with a T-shirt on you'd never know. I also wear a shirt/tie to work every day in a conservative office, no one knows and they dont need to. Im clean shaven with sharp iron lines and a smile on my face, thats who I am. Everyone of my friends that got piercings in HS or later on has them out now(im 30). They did their rebellion thing and its over now, if they still wanted to wear them then go ahead..... but there are consequences to everything.

• Members
I really don't think anyone is arguing wether it happens, or even arguing the validity of it. It's a loss for your company to glaze over a candidate because of piercings and tattoos. It's a plain mis-step for you.

What we are arguing though is that dinosaurs belong with dinosaurs. You are working in an oudated and miserably broken business model. Plain and simple. There are better companies who pay their people really well who LOVE the "weirdo's" and "emo's" as you so eloquently put it. :poke:

You just don't understand it. You've actually bought into the culture of your company so far that it's affecting your ability to reason and comprehend what others are saying in this thread. You're {censored}ed dude. I mean, you'll be financially sound, but you're {censored}ed...we all know what happened to the dinosaurs afterall...

-Curtis

Okay powertrip douchebag, time for you to sit down stfu and listen.
What do I do? I work in racing. I am a professional engine builder for NASCAR, some NHRA and just about whoever else has the coin to buy my work or has gotten on my good side and I have the kindness in my heart to "throw them a bone"...

Tattoos, my field being pompous... Lets elaborate, I USE to race sportbikes. Lets see, majority of my friends had not an INCH of body not tattood. Yes, that included some of their faces. Piercings? {censored}... guys had 22" in their damn ears....

dinosaur? Come the fk on. I have probably done more in 2 years of my life than you have in god knows how long of yours. I have enjoyed it, never stuck my nose up and been damn near death too many times for stupid reasons.

You're on here assuming you know things about people that is ludicrous.

wow, you "found recent posts" and poked at me playing a Bugera? What are you {censored}ing 6? Im sorry an amp needs a badass name for you to acknowledge it. You're the most hipocritical tampon I believe I have met on here.

Peters amps, Canada, google it.

Sorry, I played a Gibson and a bugera and had a good time, too bad some pompous moron will throw that in my face?

For you to sit here and tell me I am a dinosaur and modern industry does not frown upon and or overlook people who arent up to the tight standard of appearance only shows your lack of common sense. Everything nowadays is perception. If someone looks at a 17 year old in a sports car what do you think they're going to think? He worked hard for it or mommy and daddy have money?.. If someone who has bagg pants a do rag and platinum robs a bank what do you think they're going to say?.... I live in the real world with real rules, real people and real life experience. You on the other hand believe you know it all. Sorry man, you're a joke.

Oh yea by the way... 99% of the people I worked with in Cup and Busch had Tattoo's... and you BET you ass off the majority of them were gone come 2000 or so when sponsors, owners started realizing people frown upon it or assume different things.... Most of my customers wear leather, have flame tattoo's, chicks on their arms, skulls you name it... some are the smartest people I have met.. Do I care? No. Pay me and be one with your life.

Good day to you sir. I hope you learned something.:facepalm:

• Members

what a {censored}ing guess! we have a winnar here people:thu:

really bad dirt bike accident when i was only 14

Terrible bro... most of my buddies have ended up that way. I have had 3 surgeries on my foot and 1 on my knee... oddly enough from Martial arts tournament after a sportbike racing accident lol... Oh how testosterone can affect things...

Archived