OT:Why do people pierce their tongue and lips?

LA-Ü-RA

• Members

Maybe Japan is still so 'wary' of tattoos because of the whole Yakuza culture
:idk:

Yeah, that's partly where it comes from. There are still lots of onsen and bath houses that don't allow tattoos. A friend of mine was asked to leave because she had a tattoo on her back. But, that was to be expected. But, then again... I had a bunch of Japanese friends who had full sleeves and it didn't seem to be a problem in THEIR towns. For such a stereotypically "homogeneous" country, the culture and customs also vary so incredibly much from place to place.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, that's partly where it comes from. There are still lots of onsen and bath houses that don't allow tattoos. A friend of mine was asked to leave because she had a tattoo on her back. But, that was to be expected. But, then again... I had a bunch of Japanese friends who had full sleeves and it didn't seem to be a problem in THEIR towns. For such a stereotypically "homogeneous" country, the culture and customs also vary so incredibly much from place to place.

Are Japanese people still wary of the Yakuza?

Does the Yakuza still command the fear and respect like they used to?

• Members

Are Japanese people still wary of the Yakuza?

Does the Yakuza still command the fear and respect like they used to?

No, not so much. :lol: They own most of the pachinko parlors and strip clubs and {censored}, but it's not like in movies where they run around like gangsters and instill fear in the hearts of men. I don't even think you can get handguns in Japan. They have to use airsoft...

• Members
No, not so much.
:lol:
They own most of the pachinko parlors and strip clubs and {censored}, but it's not like in movies where they run around like gangsters and instill fear in the hearts of men. I don't even think you can get handguns in Japan. They have to use airsoft...

Man gone are the days of the good ol gangsters like the Yakuza and the Mafia.

Now all you get are guys with baggy jeans hanging off their asses or Mexicans with chinos pulled up above their navel :o

• Members

I like how you couldn't even find a picture of someone with a real mohawk and instead chose an image from a halloween costume advertisement, you {censored}ing dink...

-Curtis

Im sorry, I didn't have much time to spend looking for a photo of some emo "dink" that wasn't hugged enough as a child. I didn't have much time to google "kid with no self esteem and a lack of hygiene"... I am truly sorry my quick, 5 second "loser" google search results didn't get the point across well enough (im sure it did). Good day to you sir.

• Members

This is a simple truth. A "fact" if you will...and I'm certain that if a guy has a neck tattoo as horrifying and akward as the one I described, he/she/they are not going to be applying to a job at your office to begin with. If someone with tattoos does, it's because they truly believe they are a better candidate than your "normal" applicants. You'd be a damn fool to not at least consider them...

-Curtis

That almost was a good statement until someone failed to understand that in today's world, Image is everything.

If Kelly Pickler was a fat buck-toothed chick odds are, you wouldn't have see her on T.V.

Racing: Name 1 "Old school" styled driver, good old country boy with "Skills" who is on a big team winning races.... go ahead I'll wait.

I bet you know who the clean cut, attractive Danica Patrick is though right?

Pepsi/Coke/McDonalds, Name one time they have had a commercial with a guy with piercings, tats and a lisp on their commercial in a hat saying "How can we help you?"

FBI/DEA/ATF/LAPD/NYPD: How often do you see the Tattoo, facial piercings dude on Cops driving around because "He felt he was a better candidate.

Thats funny man, you almost had me there.

• Members
This comical !

Maybe in your profession that works. Right now, in mine it does not.

The candidates we have for positions have a choice. They are given an outline as to what to expect, what to wear. IF they come in dressed in ragged clothes and wearing a piercing there are 50 more candidates that same day waiting to get the opportunity.

I was just giving examples of situations so hopefully someone considering marking themselves up on the most visible areas of their body would know what to expect in certain employment opportunities.

People said the same thing about guys with long hair 20 years ago :cop:

• Members

People said the same thing about guys with long hair 20 years ago
:cop:

Exactly and times change as you know but without a doubt, there has always been things that aren't tolerated IE the guy with a face that cannot pass through airport security due to all his piercings representing your engineering company asking the 4.7 billion dollar renovation candidate for his thoughts on the new plans?....:facepalm:

Obesity is becoming the next cultural hatred icon.

disgusting as well.

• Members

FBI/DEA/ATF/LAPD/NYPD: How often do you see the
Tattoo
, facial piercings dude on Cops driving around because "He felt he was a better candidate.

Thats funny man, you almost had me there.

Seriously? Tats are pretty common amongst law enforcement and those government agencies . And obviously facial piercings are a safety hazard for someone who routinely gets into physical altercations, so even if they did have them in the interview they wouldn't wear them. Do you put any thought behind anything you post?

• Members
Ask my ex girlfriend. Her answer when queried, "I wanted to get it. It looks good."

My response, "You look like a metallic porcupine."

Cue crying, hysterical screaming, and a generally bad scene.

omg, I lol'd and it made my boss look :lol:

• Members
Seriously? Tats are pretty common amongst law enforcement and those government agencies . And obviously facial piercings are a safety hazard for someone who routinely gets into physical altercations, so even if they did have them in the interview they wouldn't wear them. Do you put any thought behind anything you post?

Really? Show me 2 cops with tongue rings, then one with a brow ring, and another with an emo tear tattoo under their right eye.... Don't worry, I'll wait bro...

D.A.:facepalm:

• Members

They don't set off metal detectors.
:facepalm:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/index.shtm

Go ahead, enlighten yourself.

In addition, certain clothing and accessories can set off an alarm on the metal detector and slow you down. Avoid wearing clothing, jewelry or other accessories that contain metal when traveling through the security checkpoints:

* Heavy jewelry (including pins, necklaces, bracelets, rings, watches, earrings, body piercings, cuff links, lanyards or bolo ties)

• Members

Go ahead, enlighten yourself.

It's bull{censored}. I have tons of friends with piercings and tattoos and none of them have EVER set off a metal detector, nor have I. It's kinda like the using a cellphone at a gas pump... no record of it having happened but in theory it "could" happen.

• Members

For example.

http://www.ci.east-palo-alto.ca.us/police/Police%20Policies%20Online.pdf

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/072209dnmettattoo.415cd3f.html

http://www.policeone.com/community-policing/articles/1711833-Police-tattoo-bans-called-unreasonable/

took me seconds to google at least 3 agencies DEMANDING no visible tattoos. Wow, that was hard.

Moreover, that guys tattoo's are moderate, small, not a sleeve, nothing offensive, not skeletons, not a chick in a thong.. etc. Don't even try and argue the point dude, it's an instant loss.

• Members

It's bull{censored}. I have tons of friends with piercings and tattoos and none of them have EVER set off a metal detector, nor have I. It's kinda like the using a cellphone at a gas pump... no record of it having happened but in theory it "could" happen.

Thats funny, Gold is a metal last I checked.... I have set off plenty with Jewelry but hey, they would rather waste their time and write {censored} for no reason right?....:facepalm:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/05/14/tech/main617547.shtml That took me maybe 2 seconds, and there are plenty more....

Wait.... no records exist........I just made that {censored} up, bought a server, wrote some text, uploaded, then registered for 2 years to host it.

Can somebody get this guy a Google toolbar PLEASE!

Archived