OT:Why do people pierce their tongue and lips?

LA-Ü-RA

• Members

...you are what is wrong in the world...

-Curtis

I work at a company that has a standard for a professional appearance!

I guess that makes me wrong ? WTF

Or is it is the arrogance of others that think they can do look and act however the {censored} they want to? Not saying that's you, but in many cases a professional appearance takes people further in their job and their clients.

Did you do your resume in CRAYON? Same thing ! You'll have a nice well prepared and organized resume but can't take the piercing out for a job?

It doesn't mean the world is wrong because fads are not appreciated, or that the world has a dress code. You represent a company. The company takes 100's if not 1000's of applicants. Where do you want to be in that stack?

You can't do the pants on the ground look either. In any DEPT here. Oh, and you can't wear a hat INDOORS. Used to be a standard everywhere, but even that one has been less enforced.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Uh....how many models do you actually know?? I know a {censored} ton...and none of them are perfect, just a good foundation from which to work with. And no professional advertisement or gig goes without touch ups and blending for that sort of thing... and often, the only time you get ad's where teeth are a concern is when it's a tootpaste or denture ad.

Seriously, and NBB, wether "it'll change any time soon" or not, doesn't change the fact that I work in a professional environment, and one of our directors, she has a full sleeve, two lip piercings and one of the most brilliant work ethics I've ever seen....she's also so hot it makes my dick shoot blood...

Bottom line, it's changing. Companies that won't hire because of tattoos and piercings are going to be hurting themselves in the long run as many of these folks are literally the future of business. Not hiring someone because of some ink is a slow death, and you don't even know it
:facepalm:

-Curtis

What is it that you do?

• Members
Seriously, and NBB, wether "it'll change any time soon" or not, doesn't change the fact that I work in a professional environment, and one of our directors, she has a full sleeve, two lip piercings and one of the most brilliant work ethics I've ever seen....she's also so hot it makes my dick shoot blood...

Bottom line, it's changing. Companies that won't hire because of tattoos and piercings are going to be hurting themselves in the long run as many of these folks are literally the future of business. Not hiring someone because of some ink is a slow death, and you don't even know it

-Curtis

It may be changing where you are Curtis but here in Asia, if you wanna work in a professional office type environment, you better be sure that your tats are covered up and piercings removed. If you're female, you get leeway with piercings but no tongue or lip or eyebrow stuff.

• Members

I'm more afraid of people in suits then I am of people with tattoos.

some merit.

its harder to figure out someone in a suit than it is somebody with their pants around their knees or someone with a tattoo of a black widow in between their eyes; you can spot that crazy from across the street and thus avoid contact. dude i knew with the black widow tatt was crazy as hell ex-biker. referred to himself in the 3rd person and his pupils were almost non-existent. suits are tricky though. damn tricky.

i profile.

{censored} you.

• Members

It may be changing where you are Curtis but here in Asia, if you wanna work in a professional office type environment, you better be sure that your tats are covered up and piercings removed. If you're female, you get leeway with piercings but no tongue or lip or eyebrow stuff.

But don't tattoos have a completely different cultural meaning over in Asia? That's kind of like comparing apples to oranges isn't it?

• Members

Uh....how many models do you actually know?? I know a {censored} ton...and none of them are perfect, just a good foundation from which to work with. And no professional advertisement or gig goes without touch ups and blending for that sort of thing... and often, the only time you get ad's where teeth are a concern is when it's a tootpaste or denture ad.

-Curtis

This comical !

Maybe in your profession that works. Right now, in mine it does not.

The candidates we have for positions have a choice. They are given an outline as to what to expect, what to wear. IF they come in dressed in ragged clothes and wearing a piercing there are 50 more candidates that same day waiting to get the opportunity.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong. That's not my job. If the FAD runs for the next 20 years of tattoo sleeves and 10 facial piercings, so be it. For now, those guys know what to expect, what our expectations of them are. Chances of them EVER going to other companies in the same business and being hired are SLIM to NONE ! You better know somebody or be the best gatt damn person in the stack of new hires ! There's a growing 10% unemployment rate. It's not like pickings are thin !

I was just giving examples of situations so hopefully someone considering marking themselves up on the most visible areas of their body would know what to expect in certain employment opportunities.

• Members

But don't tattoos have a completely different cultural meaning over in Asia? That's kind of like comparing apples to oranges isn't it?

Not where I'm from and unless you're from the Iban tribe in Sarawak or a member of the Yakuza I don't see how a tat is of any cultural significance.

You wanna have tattoos and still work in an office, fine. Make sure they're covered up. No silly neck or face tats.

• Members

Not where I'm from and unless you're from the Iban tribe in Sarawak or a member of the Yakuza I don't see how a tat is of any cultural significance.

No, what he's saying is that in Asia tattoos are still very much a cultural taboo to the point where you can be kicked out of certain establishments for having one. It's not merely a "you won't get a job" kind of thing. So comparing the cultural views of having ink in Asia to having ink in the western world is a bit skewed.

• Members

No, what he's saying is that in Asia tattoos are still very much a cultural taboo to the point where you can be kicked out of certain establishments for having one. It's not merely a "you won't get a job" kind of thing. So comparing the cultural views of having ink in Asia to having ink in the western world is a bit skewed.

Taboo? No way man. Tattoos in Asia are commonplace and long gone are the notions that only prisoners have tattoos.

And no, you won't get kicked out of any establishment for having tattoos.

Getting an office job is a whole other can of worms though. {censored} tattoos, men having long hair is a definite no-no.

• Members

they like giving head and want to make the experience richer by introducing speed bumps

Becasue they CAN'T give good head and go to the extent of mutilating themselves so that someone will actually let them go down

• Members

I have long-ish hair, a long-ish beard, tattoos, and my ears and septum pierced. At work I generally wear my septum ring up, but I don't have to. :idk: I'm a music teacher and for the most part both students and parents are fine with it. Every once and awhile you find someone who doesn't get it, but I have parents who show me their own tattoos or piercings and the kids are generally nonplussed. Obviously I don't work in a corporate environment, but I wouldn't want to anyway. :p

• Members
I have long-ish hair, a long-ish beard, tattoos, and my ears and septum pierced. At work I generally wear my septum ring up, but I don't have to.
:idk:
I'm a music teacher and for the most part both students and parents are fine with it. Every once and awhile you find someone who doesn't get it, but I have parents who show me their own tattoos or piercings and the kids are generally nonplussed. Obviously I don't work in a corporate environment, but I wouldn't want to anyway.
:p

In that type of work environment, I guess having long hair and piercings should be the norm :lol:

• Members

This comical !

Maybe in your profession that works. Right now, in mine it does not.

The candidates we have for positions have a choice. They are given an outline as to what to expect, what to wear. IF they come in dressed in ragged clothes and wearing a piercing there are 50 more candidates that same day waiting to get the opportunity.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong. That's not my job. If the FAD runs for the next 20 years of tattoo sleeves and 10 facial piercings, so be it. For now, those guys know what to expect, what our expectations of them are. Chances of them EVER going to other companies in the same business and being hired are SLIM to NONE ! You better know somebody or be the best gatt damn person in the stack of new hires ! There's a growing 10% unemployment rate. It's not like pickings are thin !

I was just giving examples of situations so hopefully someone considering marking themselves up on the most visible areas of their body would know what to expect in certain employment opportunities.

I work in projects and have regular interaction with customers as diverse as AT7T and our Department Of National Defense, the Government of Quebec and banking institutions across my country. What do you do? :poke:

I don't care what industry it is, tattoos and piercings are the norm. I do agree they should stay covered though, this is simply common sense. It's a part of you, but not all of you. Working in a professional manner is a part of you, but not all of you. It goes both ways here folks.

I mean, if a guy has a tattoo on his neck of two mermen making out and jacking each other off wilst reclining on a giant, throbbing phallus, then sure, don't hire the guy...I wouldn't want to have to look at that every day either...but like I said before...

Generally, people who get extreme tattoos or piercings or whatever, they generally know the consequences and accept them before they get the work done.

This is a simple truth. A "fact" if you will...and I'm certain that if a guy has a neck tattoo as horrifying and akward as the one I described, he/she/they are not going to be applying to a job at your office to begin with. If someone with tattoos does, it's because they truly believe they are a better candidate than your "normal" applicants. You'd be a damn fool to not at least consider them...

-Curtis

• Members

Taboo? No way man. Tattoos in Asia are commonplace and long gone are the notions that only prisoners have tattoos.

And no, you won't get kicked out of any establishment for having tattoos.

Getting an office job is a whole other can of worms though. {censored} tattoos, men having long hair is a definite no-no.

I don't know where you get your info from, but having lived in Japan I can tell you that tattoos are still very much a problem there. Yes, it's getting better. But, I've experienced first-hand accounts of people being refused service, getting kicked out of establishments, and not getting hired for work because of tattoos. In cities like Tokyo, it's much better since the culture is much more modern and international. But, just like any other country, there are still places that are less open-minded. Hell, it's still somewhat of a no-no for women to wear short-sleeve or no-sleeve shirts at work at some places there...

But, then again, I also see Japanese business women going to work in fishnets and knee-high leather stiletto boots. :) Which is totally awesome.

I don't know about other Asian countries, though. I'm only speaking of Japan.

• Members

I don't know where you get your info from, but having lived in Japan I can tell you that tattoos are still very much a problem there. Yes, it's getting better. But, I've experienced first-hand accounts of this happening there.

Maybe in Japan but in Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand, you don't get kicked out of establishments for having tattoos.

In Malaysia and Indonesia though, certain states are governed under Syariah or Muslim law so if you're Muslim and have tattoos, I'm sure there will be consequences.

• Members

Maybe in Japan but in Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand, you don't get kicked out of establishments for having tattoos.

In Malaysia and Indonesia though, certain states are governed under Syariah or Muslim law so if you're Muslim and have tattoos, I'm sure there will be consequences.

Right... every culture is obviously going to view things like this under a different light. Think about Judaic law. You can't be buried in a Jewish cemetery if you have ink, at least the conservative/orthodox ones (Holocaust numbers notwithstanding).

Archived