OT:Why do people pierce their tongue and lips?

LA-Ü-RA

• Members
^ eyebrows ^

what kind of jobs is she applying for? :poke:

Insurance underwriting.
She's good at her job and has done nothing but move upward and get positive reviews for as long as I've known her.
Its strange, she doesn't even take out any of that stuff going into interviews either. :idk:

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Now that's just dumb.

Personallu I've always dressed nicely and taken out my peircings for interviews. I don't wear them to work even after I get the job.

What's strange though is my gf gets job offers like crazy and has a tongue ring, big plugs in here ears, her nose peirced, and has a good amount of tattos (though has them covered when interviewing).

Edit:

But I do think the business world is general changing a bit on these things. I mean it'll be awhile before you see ceos and vips with metal hanging off their faces but the people I see working in offices has changed quite a bit over the past decade or so imo.

That won't happen either imo. Pro world in musicians land maybe, but not the pro side of business, law, ad agencies, etc. Stupid Tv shows might show some tattood or pierced out associate that's a computer nerd, but that is not the real world. Wish these kids would start paying attention. I really feel bad when these grads can't land a decent job for having bs like that. It's not discrimination, there is a dress code.

I'd hope most people are over that {censored} by time they graduate HS. If they change things down the road, they do. Not something I'd ever expect to see in my lifetime though. CSR's and others that have the entry level jobs, maybe they don't care. Our place does and so do the ones we work with. If you come into direct customer contact, no piercings or visible tats.

• Members
Insurance underwriting.

She's good at her job and has done nothing but move upward and get positive reviews for as long as I've known her.

Its strange, she doesn't even take out any of that stuff going into interviews either.
:idk:

disappointing answer is disappointing :/

• Members

That won't happen either imo. Pro world in musicians land maybe, but not the pro side of business, law, ad agencies, etc. Stupid Tv shows might show some tattood or pierced out associate that's a computer nerd, but that is not the real world. Wish these kids would start paying attention. I really feel bad when these grads can't land a decent job for having bs like that. It's not discrimination, there is a dress code.

I'd hope most people are over that {censored} by time they graduate HS. If they change things down the road, they do. Not something I'd ever expect to see in my lifetime though. CSR's and others that have the entry level jobs, maybe they don't care. Our place does and so do the ones we work with. If you come into direct customer contact, no piercings or visible tats.

Are you one of those people who won't take a waiter/waitress with piercings or tattoos?

I dunno about where you're from (midwest?) but where I live most places are less and less concerned with visible tattoos and piercings, including most government agencies.

• Members

Man,s ome of you folks are just plain, blightingly ignorant... Laura is notone of them however...

Not getting it and being "right" in your opinion about it is stupid! I have 1/2" holes in my ears, and they're basically completely un-noticeable unless I point them out. I used to have both my conches pierced, and my labret... end of story on the old two was that I got tired of my conches and my labret was bad on my teeth and gums....

It's all aesthetic folks, and companies have no choice. The talent pool is pierced and tattoo'd in many cities now, so You hire the talent pool. It's like a CEO with a pony tail in the 70's...un heard of back then, but lo and behold, it happened.

The metal in my ear lobes does not change the fact I'm more talented than most applicants without piercings or the fact that I work harder than most of my peers...most of the issue is that I don't suck a dick to get anywhere at work. If I started that, there's no telling where I'd get to ;)

Laura, I think you ask a valid question, and some of the issues you have with people with piercings I have with them as well, but in general, if you get hole sin your body that are fairly large, it's pretty reasonable to expect that that person knows it will never go back to "normal", and has accepted it. There are consequences everywhere. this is just one of them.

-Curtis

• Members

I work in advertising. Tattoos, piercings, weird hair, jeans, and etc. are fine. If you wear a suit and you go for an interview for a job in advertising (creative), it will probably freak out the creative director more so than walking in with a mohawk. They say to look presentable, but be yourself and dress casually. If you stick out somehow and are remembered, all the better. If you look like the lizard man, then that's another thing. But, a piercing or tattoo or weird hair is no big deal.

On the client side of the industry, it's the exact opposite, though. But, in the creative advertising side (writers, art directors, designers, etc.) people are so {censored}ing eccentric. It's like a TV show.

• Members

I'm pro-choice.

It's my choice to think it's not for me.

It's their choice to modify their bodies as they please.

It's my choice to talk to their managers when my fries are cold.

This brang teh lulz. Well done sir....

It truly is a matter of choice. The demonization of body modification has all but come to an end. it's no longer bad ass, it's part of getting your body to look how you like...

The part I find hilarious in this thread are the guys that bitch the most about piercings and tattoos looking gross are all dudes that like girls with big, fake tits and collagen injections. It's still a body modification guys, just a sneakier one.

-Curtis

• Members

Are you one of those people who won't take a waiter/waitress with piercings or tattoos?

I dunno about where you're from (midwest?) but where I live most places are less and less concerned with visible tattoos and piercings, including most government agencies.

Yea I remember the last time my local FBI office questioned me looking like this:

"Sir, with all due respect, I need to know the where abouts for you, and your fiance last night. Please, do not resent my inquiries I am simply doing my job sir...."

:facepalm:

• Members
Yea I remember the last time my local FBI office questioned me looking like this:

"Sir, with all due respect, I need to know the where abouts for you, and your fiance last night. Please, do not resent my inquiries I am simply doing my job sir...."

I like how you couldn't even find a picture of someone with a real mohawk and instead chose an image from a halloween costume advertisement, you {censored}ing dink...

-Curtis

• Members

I personally don't care, but outside of TGIF, Red Lobster or a hamburger joint you won't see too many acceptable standards for piercings either.

All I said as I wish graduates realized this when they come in for an interview. We see many applicants I'd like to consider, but their attitude about what professional dress code is to be desired in some cases like this.

Piercings in the nose, eye lids/brows, lips or anywhere visible (including tattoos) are not acceptable where I work. It's that simple. Comply, or go somewhere else.

We had a guy that was really good at IT. I scouted him from a Tech School and he met all the qualifications for candidacy but we couldn't hire him. He had a neck tattoo with explicit content. I didn't see it, but it was in the notations from mgt. That equals NEXT!

• Members

I don't see a single facial piercing or tattoo on that guy/gal? :idea:

Please try again.

• Members

I like how you couldn't even find a picture of someone with a real mohawk and instead chose an image from a halloween costume advertisement, you {censored}ing dink...

-Curtis

Not to mention not a single facial piercing or tattoo! I mean what the {censored}, I'll take someone with tattoo over someone who's too lazy to at least seal the deal.

• Members

I personally don't care, but outside of TGIF, Red Lobster or a hamburger joint you won't see too many acceptable standards for piercings either.

All I said as I wish graduates realized this when they come in for an interview. We see many applicants I'd like to consider, but their attitude about what professional dress code is to be desired in some cases like this.

Piercings in the nose, eye lids/brows, lips or anywhere visible (including tattoos) are not acceptable where I work. It's that simple. Comply, or go somewhere else.

We had a guy that was really good at IT. I scouted him from a Tech School and he met all the qualifications for candidacy but we couldn't hire him. He had a neck tattoo with explicit content. I didn't see it, but it was in the notations from mgt. That equals NEXT!

...you are what is wrong in the world...

-Curtis

• Members
This brang teh lulz. Well done sir....

It truly is a matter of choice. The demonization of body modification has all but come to an end. it's no longer bad ass, it's part of getting your body to look how you like...

The part I find hilarious in this thread are the guys that bitch the most about piercings and tattoos looking gross are all dudes that like girls with big, fake tits and collagen injections. It's still a body modification guys, just a sneakier one.

-Curtis

Just a joke.....you're cool because you didn't blast me for it. :thu:

To me....if you're a good person, your outside appearance doesn't matter to me at all.

I'm more afraid of people in suits then I am of people with tattoos.

• Members

I guess I was confused when you made it seem like everywhere was acting like this and not just your company. But if you're turning away (over)qualified people where do you think you're going to work? Maybe the competitors that can get with the times :idea:

• Members
IDK, show me a super model chick applying for a cosmetics modeling position but she has {censored}ed up yellow teeth. Maybe she can model, but nobody would get past the teeth.

Uh....how many models do you actually know?? I know a {censored} ton...and none of them are perfect, just a good foundation from which to work with. And no professional advertisement or gig goes without touch ups and blending for that sort of thing... and often, the only time you get ad's where teeth are a concern is when it's a tootpaste or denture ad.

Seriously, and NBB, wether "it'll change any time soon" or not, doesn't change the fact that I work in a professional environment, and one of our directors, she has a full sleeve, two lip piercings and one of the most brilliant work ethics I've ever seen....she's also so hot it makes my dick shoot blood...

Bottom line, it's changing. Companies that won't hire because of tattoos and piercings are going to be hurting themselves in the long run as many of these folks are literally the future of business. Not hiring someone because of some ink is a slow death, and you don't even know it :facepalm:

-Curtis

• Members

Bottom line, it's changing. Companies that won't hire because of tattoos and piercings are going to be hurting themselves in the long run as many of these folks are literally the future of business. Not hiring someone because of some ink is a slow death, and you don't even know it

-Curtis

Exactly.

Archived