Best speakers for 3D sounding hi-gain distortion?

rlm297

• Members

I currently have an Orange 4x12 Cabinet with V30's, and like it a lot. But I'm kind of wondering if I could improve the speakers.

If I like how V30's sound.. is there any higher grade speaker out there that sounds like V30's for distortion, but better?

I'm hoping someone will reply, "Brand X speakers are like V30's, but are even better suited for hi-gain. I've seen many guitarists switch over from V30's to Brand X, when they heard them side by side."

How can I get my cabinet to throw sound out and sound more 3D?

What is the main selling point about those Mills cabs everyone is raving about? What speakers are in those?

• Members

After lots of experimenting with cabs, I can tell you that the 3D sound is mainly created by the cab construction, not the speakers. Some cabs resonate like an acoustic guitar, and the more they do that, the more 3D they tend to sound. Changing speakers isn't going to solve the problem for you IMO. Bogner and Mesa cabs have that 3D sound in spades IMO. I've had cabs (like the 5150 4x12) that made any amp sound completely flat regardless of what speaker I had in the cab.

• Members

actually, a sound wave perceived by your ear would be one dimensional, wouldn't it? the only thing that is varying is the dB level with respect to time.

i know that having a mix of speakers in a cab or differences in cab construction affect tone. i just think '3d' is a phrase that sounds silly and non-informative with respect to tone.

• Members

actually, a sound wave perceived by your ear would be one dimensional, wouldn't it? the only thing that is varying is the dB level with respect to time.

i know that having a mix of speakers in a cab or differences in cab construction affect tone. i just think '3d' is a phrase that sounds silly and non-informative with respect to tone.

GUHHH.

Why do you have to be so LITERAL? Of COURSE it isn't LITERALLY 3-D.

But when you have multiple types of speaker, there are more than one type of speaker's frequency peaks present. So the sound has illusions of 'layers'. Thusly those of us who use the creative hemispheres of our brains might liken it to having three dimensions.

Archived