Best speakers for 3D sounding hi-gain distortion?

rlm297

• Members

GUHHH.

Why do you have to be so LITERAL? Of COURSE it isn't LITERALLY 3-D.

But when you have multiple types of speaker, there are more than one type of speaker's frequency peaks present. So the sound has illusions of 'layers'. Thusly those of us who use the creative hemispheres of our brains might liken it to having three dimensions.

sound does have layers. doesn't make it 3d. no need to get insulting. use whatever terminology you'd like, but don't be a dick about it.

• Members
sound does have layers. doesn't make it 3d. no need to get insulting. use whatever terminology you'd like, but don't be a dick about it.

Actually, a sound wave perceived by your ear isn't actually layered, is it? the only thing that is entering your auditory canal is vibrations in the air. :cop:

• Members

I currently have an Orange 4x12 Cabinet with V30's, and like it a lot. But I'm kind of wondering if I could improve the speakers.

If I like how V30's sound.. is there any higher grade speaker out there that sounds like V30's for distortion, but better?

I'm hoping someone will reply, "Brand X speakers are like V30's, but are even better suited for hi-gain. I've seen many guitarists switch over from V30's to Brand X, when they heard them side by side."

How can I get my cabinet to throw sound out and sound more 3D?

What is the main selling point about those Mills cabs everyone is raving about? What speakers are in those?

3d. Hm. I think I see what you're saying. The Orange is a very directional cab. I've had a couple different types of speakers in one myself, but it's got more to do with the cab design (and I think the extra thick grill cloth has a bit to do with it too).

Of the cabs I've played, to be honest the marshall 1960a is probably the most open, with the 1960b and bogner 4x12 behind it. The mesas are behind those for open-ness and so on.

If you're dead set on keeping the cab though, I think the G12H30's have more perceived 'spread' because they are a more full range speaker than the v-30. I've used both in that cab myself.

• Members
actually, a sound wave perceived by your ear would be one dimensional, wouldn't it? the only thing that is varying is the dB level with respect to time.

The average person has two ears though.
The difference in sound between the left and right ear creates a second axis for at least 2D sound. Then there is various processing in the brain working from sound absorption by the head and ear shape that adds one more dimension.

So 3D sound is possible - that's why we can somewhat perceive the location and direction of a source of sound.

Sorry to be all scientific about it :)

• Members

I honestly don't think anything is going do the Vintage 30 sound "better" than a vintage 30.

Good timing! I was just reading this: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=1893087

Of course the Veteran 30 proably wouldn't add another dimension to your V30 sound- it just is a better Vintage 30 by eliminating the design flaw known as the V30 mid spike (which may not be a perceivable problem with certain guitars/pickups- but it is for me).

• Members

I have a couple of 4x12 cabs (an ENGL vintage and a Mesa recto cab) which both mounted V30.
In both of them I replaced 2 speakers with a couple of EV12L and actually the 3d effect was increased.

Anyway it's not so simple...for instance I had the possibility to try my Cobra (which I still love with the recto cab) with its matched greenback loaded Framus cab and actually the tone was better.

• Members

I didn't read any posts but if you're thinking speakers will make the sound spread, it's not going to happen. that's the job of the cab. not the speakers and not the amp.

I've plugged terrible amps into stellar cabs and gotten a big spread to the sound. I've also plugged stellar amps into certain cabs and gotten a very good but very one directional sound from the cab.

The mills stuff, the bogner shiva (small sized 2X12) and the port city wave cabs are the biggest and most open/spread out/3D/insert other buzz word here sounding cabs on the market.

• Members

I didn't read any posts but if you're thinking speakers will make the sound spread, it's not going to happen. that's the job of the cab. not the speakers and not the amp.

I've plugged terrible amps into stellar cabs and gotten a big spread to the sound. I've also plugged stellar amps into certain cabs and gotten a very good but very one directional sound from the cab.

The mills stuff, the bogner shiva (small sized 2X12) and the port city wave cabs are the biggest and most open/spread out/3D/insert other buzz word here sounding cabs on the market.

Actually, I think "openness" has to do with resonance, which has to do with the thickness of the cab, which is why I think the thinner cabs (1960a) are more open sounding. The Orange is probably the thickest and densest out there and therefore more directional/less open.

• Members

Actually, I think "openness" has to do with resonance, which has to do with the thickness of the cab, which is why I think the thinner cabs (1960a) are more open sounding. The Orange is probably the thickest and densest out there and therefore more directional/less open.

If this were true though, the mills cabs wouldn't bring the wall of sound that they have.

• Members

I have no idea.. but I know that the mills cabs are huge. my splawn cab is huge and they both have tremendous spread to the sound.

Well, from what I've seen; the denser the cab, the more focused the sound. Unless Mills have found out some magic formula. How many plies do they use?

• Members

i've experienced 3d with a bad cat wild cat's cleans. unbelievable swirling upper level complex harmonics, i felt completely engulfed.

as far as what he's asking for, i've never really heard it for anything high-gain. probably because the wave is more complex and thusly it's more difficult to hear the inherent harmonics to the particular note.

i've played a good 30+ heads through my cab and the bad cat was the only one that did that so i think if anything the head might need to get changed.

• Members

this^the cab makes a big difference

Archived