Giving your 2 weeks notice at work - Anyone got any good stores?

MattACaster

• Members

Need to give my two weeks notice today. Been here 6 years and I'm dreading it. The 2 other people in my department are friends but leaving will kind of the screw the company over, at least for a while anyway. But more money, more vacation and a tenth of the commute kind of wins out. Not really sure how my boss will take it...

Anyone got at good stories or tips about giving your notice?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
:lol: Nice

Last place I worked, my boss said he knew it was coming. I was interning where I work now, and he figured they were gonna offer me a full time gig based on my work ethic. Before that, I worked at subway and mcdonalds, both of which I just called in sick and stopped coming to work lol. I worked at a restaurant on campus for about a year, came in one day and got in a MASSIVE argument with the manager, who was a huge dick to every one, and ended up throwing a glass of beer all over him and walking out lol.

• Members

Just be up front and honest. I'm assuming since you've been there 6 years you can level with management. Just have a letter printed out, but just be casual about it and explain everything to them first and then hand off the letter as a formality, but make sure to tell your friends there yourself, dont let them hear it via the grapevine.

• Members

i used to work at the largest internation consulting company in the world - they have their own golf tournament. i was called into the regional partner's office one day, told that the big client loved me and wanted me to work at their Indonesian facility. Promised a promotion to partner in 3 years if i made it that long. if not, i could basically write my ticket anywhere with that on my resume'.

i excused myself for a moment, went to my office and wrote my resignation letter. 2 weeks notice. they gave me 10 weeks.

• Members

I also agree that you gotta look out for you. If you have a boss with any sort of intelligence and caring for you, he will realize that this will be a good move. I basically screwed the UCF bio dept over for a good bit when I left because I was the only one that knew how to do my job, and they didnt have time to train some one. Luckily, I made some manuals on specific tasks that I did, but regardless of that, my boss was very understanding and very happy that I was getting the opportunity. I still keep in touch with him.

Anyway, the result of all this was the place I work now wanted me to start april 19, and I gave about 2 weeks notice, but my boss ended up giving me a paid week off, even though I was an hourly employee....so I got 30 hours of pay without any work.

• Members

you could give more than 2 weeks and there is always the chance they'll say we'll you can just go now .

Thats the problem, this other place is saying the sooner the better since they don't have an IT guy at the corp headquarters right now (which is going to be my job). I'm trying to balance between not leaving the old job or new job hanging.

• Members

Don't burn bridges.

Oh totally. But sometimes just leaving a job is enough to do that. I have no idea how he will take it....

The rumor was, when I started, was that I was supposed to replace him when he retired. The only issue with that is that I don't think I'd last long here without his protection. Stupid office politics...

• Members

the fact that youre dreading it is a good thing. i guess. just be up front about it. don't bull{censored} them.

tell them you have a better oportunity come up and you have to take it for the sake of yourself(and family?). i'm sure they'll understand.

best of luck anyway

• Members

Gotta look out for you man! Only take the job if you can HCAF all day
:)

Probably could. THere is no web filtering, and if there was, I would be controlling it. Plus he said that as long as I get my work done he doesn't care what I do, when I come in or leave.

• Members

have a pre-typed letter of recommendation, along with your written two week notice. tell them how much you feel you have grown with this company and how it has prepared you for the next step in your career, and you cannot thank them enough. blah blah blah

then say that you would really appreciate a letter of recommendation, and then show them your letter and say that if they agree with everything, all they have to do is sign :)

• Members

the fact that youre dreading it is a good thing. i guess. just be up front about it. don't bull{censored} them.

tell them you have a better oportunity come up and you have to take it for the sake of yourself(and family?). i'm sure they'll understand.

best of luck anyway

Thats the plan. I'm going to ask what needs to be done in the next two weeks and I will make sure it's done. I will even take calls after that (assuming they let my cell number go) and even do some consulting for them if they need stuff done after hours.

• Members

have a pre-typed letter of recommendation, along with your written two week notice. tell them how much you feel you have grown with this company and how it has prepared you for the next step in your career, and you cannot thank them enough. blah blah blah

then say that you would really appreciate a letter of recommendation, and then show them your letter and say that if they agree with everything, all they have to do is sign
:)

Thats the great thing. With the new job, I don't need a letter or even references. :thu:

• Members

Did they ever try "Only employees get invited to Thanksgiving and X-Mas"?
:lol:

Haha no, but it was an interesting holiday season that year I gotta say. I left around Sept. so I had my bday in Oct, then Turkey Day in Nov and Christmas in Dec.

It's a lot better now since they both sold the half of the firm they'd retained while I was there. So my dad just does side/special projects now when he feels like working. I actually am gonna start doing stuff on the side w/ him to keep my mind sharp on the federal tax stuff and make some $$ on the weekends. We work salary here (first time ever for me) so only get paid per check no matter the hours which is ghey for ANY kind of tax stuff.

• Members

I'm usually on the other side of the desk in these conversations. If you are someone I really want to keep I will make an attempt to see if we can come up with a deal to keep you there. If not, I almost always let you go right away. I generally do not want someone that is leaving the company hanging around. Particularly if you are in IT. We'll give you your two weeks pay but we'll immediately kill your computer access and start to out process you. Kind of hardcore but after 25 years in business I have seen too many short timers mess things up or screw with morale.

• Members

I'm usually on the other side of the desk in these conversations. If you are someone I really want to keep I will make an attempt to see if we can come up with a deal to keep you there. If not, I almost always let you go right away. I generally do not want someone that is leaving the company hanging around. Particularly if you are in IT. We'll give you your two weeks pay but we'll immediately kill your computer access and start to out process you. Kind of hardcore but after 25 years in business I have seen too many short timers mess things up or screw with morale.

I might be on the other side of that desk here in a week or two - and should things pan out with the new company; I'm going to offer to my current employer that I'll train the current staff and field questions via email, outside of my new employers work schedule, as well as perform maintenance/upgrades if they'll make me part-time/hourly. Otherwise, I'll have to part ways with them after a month or two, but here's my 2-week notice.

The idea there is so they can hire someone green (ie, cheap!) to take care of the basics, the current staff (all programmers with no real experience in IT), can take care of middle-tier items, and I can come in and take care of the bigger stuff...and it could leave me a backdoor to re-enter the company should the new place be miserable for me.

Given the company I work for now is a government agency facing some pretty serious cut-backs, the might take me up on the offer...

Archived