V30 vs G12T-75's. How are they different?

diocide

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I love G12T-75's. Had them in my 1960 cab, and I swear to God, they made everything sound great. 5150, DSL50, Blackstar HT-5, Single Recto, Budda SD, Super lead...etc.,

+1.

I am using V30's at the moment and they work well with the JCA but I am seriously considering getting a cab with 75's again. They sounded good with every amp I've played.

• Members

vintage_30.gif

g12t_75.gif

Assuming these graphs were taken from a large enough sample, they should tell you quite a bit:

V30's: Strong presence in the 1.5-2khz and 2.0-2.5khz region, this is where a vast majority of a distorted guitar's energy lies, this is why they work so well in a band mix. Fairly strong in the 3khz region as well which is where some of the harshness can live. Strong drop off after 4khz all the way to around 7-8khz, this is where the smooth treble region is.

75's: Mammoth shovel scoop taken out of the 800hz-1.5khz region, this is where the infamous scooped sound of the 75's is born. I don't like it, it tries to make guitars disappear in a mix. Similar 2-3khz peaks as the V30 with a sharper drop off around 4khz. This drop is shorter though and leaves a lot of bullshit lingering in the 6-9khz region which accounts for the fizz people complain about, pretty much what defined the whole scooped 80's metal tone. Also a bit shallower through the 300-900hz range than V30's.

• Members

vintage_30.gif

g12t_75.gif

Assuming these graphs were taken from a large enough sample, they should tell you quite a bit:

V30's: Strong presence in the 1.5-2khz and 2.0-2.5khz region, this is where a vast majority of a distorted guitar's energy lies, this is why they work so well in a band mix. Fairly strong in the 3khz region as well which is where some of the harshness can live. Strong drop off after 4khz all the way to around 7-8khz, this is where the smooth treble region is.

75's: Mammoth shovel scoop taken out of the 800hz-1.5khz region, this is where the infamous scooped sound of the 75's is born. I don't like it, it tries to make guitars disappear in a mix. Similar 2-3khz peaks as the V30 with a sharper drop off around 4khz. This drop is shorter though and leaves a lot of bullshit lingering in the 6-9khz region which accounts for the fizz people complain about, pretty much what defined the whole scooped 80's metal tone. Also a bit shallower through the 300-900hz range than V30's.

I think that last part is a myth from using eyes with that graph. I've never had an issue cutting with 75's.

• Members

What me and every other guitarist I've ever heard using those speakers are doing wrong? They sound like {censored} to me. I've never heard those speakers sound good...ever

Huh. I dont seem to have a prob getting them to sound good. Of course I love running them with Vet30's but I did run them with Marshall for years.

• Members

75's: Mammoth shovel scoop taken out of the 800hz-1.5khz region, this is where the infamous scooped sound of the 75's is born. I don't like it, it tries to make guitars disappear in a mix. Similar 2-3khz peaks as the V30 with a sharper drop off around 4khz. This drop is shorter though and leaves a lot of bullshit lingering in the 6-9khz region which accounts for the fizz people complain about, pretty much what
defined the whole scooped 80's metal tone
. Also a bit shallower through the 300-900hz range than V30's.

80's metal is scooped?

:confused:

• Members
I think that last part is a myth from using eyes with that graph. I've never had an issue cutting with 75's.

Also people tend to forget that the sensitivity in the V30 i think is 3 db higher. This makes a world of difference in volume you get out. I had to substantially turn my amp down when going to v30.

• Members

I wanted to try out some different speakers for a while now and there's an avatar cab with some G12T-75's in on my local CL.

I have a recto 2x12 with vin 30's now and I find them a bit bright for my liking. I love their mids and bass but the highs are a bit much.

Would the G12T-75's be any bit more managable in the highs department?

I have a 2x12 with G12T-75's in it. When it was new I hated it. But it has aged well. Definitely needed a good breaking in period, but now they are great with my Marshall.

• Members

With my Engl and Jet City the t75's are pretty good, but still fizzy. With my Egnater and Recto, SUPER fizzy. I just don't think I will ever get along with those speakers.

V30's always sound great for me with mid-gain tones, and sounded really good with my Recto. I'm not much of a fan of V30's clean tones TBH.

• Members

who in god's name uses v30's for clean sounds? AWFUL clean sounds, maybe.

impossible to remove the grotty midrange from that speaker. i've never been able to extract any usable tones from those things, 'cause they always seem to have some gritty dirt to them that won't go away, and it makes me nuts.

people having issues with t75s are probably playing way too quietly. they're the antithesis of bedroom hacker speakers, 'cause they really don't open up until they're seeing probably at LEAST 15-20 watts across the terminals each, which is pretty damn loud. kinda why i stopped using 'em.. but when i used a 50 or 100 watter, they were pretty glorious in a straightfront cab.

• Members

who in god's name uses v30's for clean sounds? AWFUL clean sounds, maybe.

impossible to remove the grotty midrange from that speaker. i've never been able to extract any usable tones from those things, 'cause they always seem to have some gritty dirt to them that won't go away, and it makes me nuts.

people having issues with t75s are probably playing way too quietly. they're the antithesis of bedroom hacker speakers, 'cause they really don't open up until they're seeing probably at LEAST 15-20 watts across the terminals each, which is pretty damn loud. kinda why i stopped using 'em.. but when i used a 50 or 100 watter, they were pretty glorious in a straightfront cab.

In keeping with using Andy Timmons to rebuke your silly statements. :p

[video=youtube;KUj5vh9h47I]

1:08, come at me.

• Members

I have a slant 1960 cab in my studio with 75's with a 100W Marshall Valve state driving it.

I can run the EQ on the amp set at 12:00 on the clean channel and have it sound pretty good.

Its not the best match for that head though. The cab is a match for a good 100w plexi.

Speakers, need to be matched to the resonant frequency of the cab, and that cab matched to the head.

It takes all three to get great tone. If you mismatch the speakers to the cab or head to a cam it can sound awful.

You can have all kinds of missing frequency responces on the low mids or highs depending on the setup.

Guitars amps are mostly midrange. The cab and speaker specs arent super critical, but it is something to consider when buying speakers.

Those who swap stock speakers blindly and buy speakers because of brand types may be disapointed and wind up with bad tone.

Its not that hard to look up the specs on a speaker, find an online cabinet building calculator, key in the specs, and find out the recomended air volume needed

for the speaker. Then you simply measure the cab size and calculate the total air volume and see if the calculated specs are anywheres close to the actual cab.

If the cab is smaller (which they usually are) then you'll roll off low end and have more mids. If the cab has more air volume, then it can sound overly bassy, lacking mids.

This goes hand in hand with tha speakers frequency responce graph. If the graph shows a big low end roll off, you can flaten it up with more air volume in a cab for example.

Then you can also compare the readings of the stock speakers and the new speakers and predict what changes you may be get changing them.

• Members

1:08, come at me.

sounds way too congesty, and the wrong kind of honky grit to me. :idk: don't like that amp at all, and the speakers are great for some guys- just not for tre moi- i done tried. if i was a strat player, might be different.. but brother valtiel-- we're on different planets playing wise :D suffice to say-- they be different tools for different players!

liquid lead tone is something i need like a pair of iron penny loafers.

• Members

sounds way too congesty, and the wrong kind of honky grit to me.
:idk:
don't like that amp at all, and the speakers are great for some guys- just not for tre moi- i done tried. if i was a strat player, might be different.. but brother valtiel-- we're on different planets playing wise
:D
suffice to say-- they be different tools for different players!

liquid lead tone is something i need like a pair of iron penny loafers.

Can you post an example of a clean tone on the other end of the spectrum from this? I don't really hear how this one sounds "congesty".

• Members

I like those last two a lot actually, IMO though that tone has a lot more to do with the guitar being used, sounds like much more traditional vintage strat pickups as opposed to the Dimarzio's that Timmon's uses.

• Members

I like those last two a lot actually, IMO though that tone has a lot more to do with the guitar being used, sounds like much more traditional vintage strat pickups as opposed to the Dimarzio's that Timmon's uses.

you're probably right, actually. mebbe i'm not a strat fan moreso-- all of those are either gibson 335, les paul, or telecaster! it's DEFINITELY low gain trad pickup sound in every instance though.

my main beef is just that v30's seem to favor that sorta high gain pickup by pushing it into a sorta breakup that sounds like crackle to me. if you MIX them-- they can sound great- i've heard them sound fantastic with an h30.. but solo RRRRRTTtttt... which drives me nutty. i hear it in andy timmons' sound-- it's usually in the attack. i like my pickups cold as all getout, and push the amp, so i don't hear the attack crackle.. just the amp ease into gain if you dig. i couldn't get v30's to stay clean-- and the harder you drive them, the worse it seems to get.. :(

they be a modern speaker for modern amps... i'm an old fucker trying to use what i know :lol:

• Members

What me and every other guitarist I've ever heard using those speakers are doing wrong? They sound like shit to me. I've never heard those speakers sound good...ever

Welcome to 2005, when the G12T-75 hate was strong here! :lol:

• Members

Well im going to give the cab a shot on monday ( first day I can check it out). If I hear, and like the difference to my current cab, Ill buy it and then figure out whether or not I want to keep my mesa cab. If it's a meh kind of difference, then I'll pass. It's a pretty good deal though and I've wanted to try out a different speaker with my amp for a while now.

Archived