V30 vs G12T-75's. How are they different?

diocide

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm a little confused here too.

'80s metal is about as far away from scooped as Charlie Sheen is from sanity.

Different kinds of scoop. Most people associate a scooped tone with the MetalZone/Recto/Line6 Insane Bass 10 Treble 10 Mid 0 kinda thing, which is more extreme and usually voiced lower in the mid range. The 75's have the scoop higher up like I mentioned in my post, this video demonstrates it pretty well, first two speakers.

[video=youtube;jWK0sa7tlfI]

• Members

Put it to ya' this way.

The GT75's are a decent all around speaker. Had a cab loaded with them for years.

Eventually wanted to try something different....took 2 of the Celestions out, replaced with Swamp Thangs in the X pattern.

{censored} sounded so good, using all the same amps, that within 2 months, I made the cab full on Swamp Thang...and THAT'S the one I have today.

I've played through some V30 loaded stuff too, and they do sound good. They have more "character" than the 75's I was used to, but the mids can be overbearing in some set-ups. I've witnessed this. However, that same mid hump is what makes them sound so great with certain amps. You own a Laney, which tomy understanding, are mid machines....sooooooo....may give you some rip-your-head mids. Whether or not that's gonna work for you, I couldn't say. Purely preference.

• Members

Put it to ya' this way.

The GT75's are a decent all around speaker. Had a cab loaded with them for years.

Eventually wanted to try something different....took 2 of the Celestions out, replaced with Swamp Thangs in the X pattern.

{censored} sounded so good, using all the same amps, that within 2 months, I made the cab full on Swamp Thang...and THAT'S the one I have today.

I've played through some V30 loaded stuff too, and they do sound good. They have more "character" than the 75's I was used to, but the mids can be overbearing in some set-ups. I've witnessed this. However, that same mid hump is what makes them sound so great with certain amps. You own a Laney, which tomy understanding, are mid machines....sooooooo....may give you some rip-your-head mids. Whether or not that's gonna work for you, I couldn't say. Purely preference.

Laney+ ts9 boost= mucho mids. I really like the mid grind I get, but there's a weird frequency with the v30's that never seems to go away. Any who, I still want to try out the swamp thangs at your house one day. I'm really sheltered when I comes to speakers. All I've ever really known were the sheffields in my old peavey cabs and the v 30's.

• Members

My V30 cab has strong mids and a thick sound to it. But my HT-100 is a lower mid amp and also very articulate. My G12T75s I feel are really good all purpose speakers, they do sound better when you push them. The are definitely clearer throughout the whole range and have a good bass to them.

However, you are running 2x12s and that could be a whole different world.

It wasn't clear, maybe it was and I missed it but anyway..which one do you think favours the HT-100?

• Members
It wasn't clear, maybe it was and I missed it but anyway..which one do you think favours the HT-100?

Having an HT-100 with both a V30 cab and 75 cab it really depends on what you are after. But, I prefer v30s for soloing and the thicker sound on drop D chords.

Archived