V30 vs G12T-75's. How are they different?

diocide

• Members

I wanted to try out some different speakers for a while now and there's an avatar cab with some G12T-75's in on my local CL.

I have a recto 2x12 with vin 30's now and I find them a bit bright for my liking. I love their mids and bass but the highs are a bit much.

Would the G12T-75's be any bit more managable in the highs department?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My V30 cab has strong mids and a thick sound to it. But my HT-100 is a lower mid amp and also very articulate. My G12T75s I feel are really good all purpose speakers, they do sound better when you push them. The are definitely clearer throughout the whole range and have a good bass to them.

However, you are running 2x12s and that could be a whole different world.

• Members

If you're playing a Marshall (or other high-mid heavy amp), then sure...

If you're playing a more "modern" (read: lots of bass, scooped mids) amp, then it's more like this:

I totally agree.

I just figured, men play middy mapz. :lol:

I gave the OP the benefit of the doubt.

• Members

V30 = tear off yo face upper mid bright, and shitty.

T75 = top end bright like a nice hifi.

This is pretty much my feeling.

I had V30s in my old Nomad 212 combo. They were ok. They made this one peavey head that sucked sound great. However, I purchased a Marshall 1936 212 with the 75's in there and upon hooking up the Nomad's amp bit to that cab, and trying a few other heads too, I do believe that the 75's beat the shit out of the V30s.

They have all that same aggressive, loud as fuck thing going on, but it's a much fuller EQ to my ears. Better lows, the hi-mids are more balanced, and the treble is sparkly just like it oughta be.

V30s are like the Seymour Duncan JB's of speakers. Very love/hate. 75's are more like... I dunno, Super Distortions? :idk:

• Members

If you're getting icepicks with V30's, they might not be broken in. I had to pound a NOS UK V-30 for about 50 hours with Deadmau5/Meshuggah etc. on the verge of distortion from my Crown PA amp to get it broken in. Try it, you might be surprised.

Also, if they're 8 ohm, try wiring them in series. This smooths the upper mids. Parallel will be more "open" sounding but will also have more highs and bass.

• Members

If you're getting icepicks with V30's, they might not be broken in. I had to pound a NOS UK V-30 for about 50 hours with Deadmau5/Meshuggah etc. on the verge of distortion from my Crown PA amp to get it broken in. Try it, you might be surprised.

Also, if they're 8 ohm, try wiring them in series. This smooths the upper mids. Parallel will be more "open" sounding but will also have more highs and bass.

Really? Series vs parallel changes tonal qualities?

• Members

I don't think I could get an ice pick out of mine if I tried. I do, however, only buy used speakers, the more beat to {censored} the better.

That's the thing. I've had this can for over 5 years and I bought used off someone who also bought it used. I can't imagine these aren't broken in by now.

• Members

75s are the worst speakers I've ever heard in my life. Gritty farty scooped thin hollow papery high end nonsense. V30s can also be a hot mess if mixed with the wrong amp but they still sound better than those god awful 75s

See now..I gotta wonder what you were doing wrong. LOTS of people make them sound awesome.

Archived