Seen the new Desolation Charvels?

Dave L

• Members

I definitely think this is a poor product offering for Charvel. Now they are offering Schecter/LTD/Dean-type guitars to an already saturated marketplace. Rather than expanding the simple superstrat concept with more wild cards and promods, we get these. WHY?

Both of these. I mean my god, these things should come with a free bottle of spray tan and a certificate for a handjob from Snooki. Jesus Christ. Why couldn't they, oh I don't know, build an H-S-S snow white SoCal or San Dimas with a maple board?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Both of these. I mean my god, these things should come with a free bottle of spray tan and a certificate for a handjob from Snooki. Jesus Christ. Why couldn't they, oh I don't know, build an H-S-S snow white SoCal or San Dimas with a maple board?

:lol:

I would think that more pickup configurations along with different finishes and maybe more fixed bridge models would have been better for the brand.

• Members

YES. Not only that, but maybe string-through?
:idea:
I love the one I have, even with the Floyd, but I would SO love for them to do this.

I really like the simple fixed bridges, like the ones on the Ibanez PGMs: Good intonation and they feel nice under my right hand. I was hoping to see some, but I guess not.

• Members

Should've been more like
this
(only with their body/headstock shapes), IMO. I wouldn't buy a single-cut period, but definitely not the stuff they're offering.

I was hoping for something like that. A simple singlecut design, with a floyd and the killer playability of their maple necks. These new models give me no wood at all. :cry:

• Members

Should've been more like
(only with their body/headstock shapes), IMO. I wouldn't buy a single-cut period, but definitely not the stuff they're offering.

This.

I'd still really dig it if it just weren't for all that {censored}ing abalone. {censored} just ruins the whole concept for me.

I also agree that they should expand their SoCal/San Dimas Pro Mod line, though, to include more bridge, color & pickup options.

• Members

They should have just stuck with building more SoCals, San Dimas', and coming up with more new Superstrat Wild Card build concepts.

Nope. I like this new direction, it just makes owning a real Charvel way more prestigious.

• Members

2931010557_frt_wlg_001.png

If not for all the godawful Schecteresque abalone, would want - HARD.

Meh, it's not QUITE as bad as Schecter's breaux-axe offerings, but I'm surprised they didn't throw gold hardware on it and go for broke :lol:

Honestly though, not TOO bad, would def prefer it without the abalone binding though.

• Members

these dont look too bad

2931021550_frt_wlg_001.png

2931021590_frt_wlg_001.png

Me likey :love:

A qoute from a Charvel worker in JCFOnline

These Desolation guitars were designed in the Custom Shop here in Corona CA... and they are made in China. There are USA versions coming out of the Custom Shop. By the way, I have the original single cuttaway proto that Mike Shannon built... it's AMAZING. When you touch or play these guitars, you will know that we spent our time making it right. I have been working on making sure these play like Charvels. The necks are what you would expect...and guess what... now we can attract players looking for set necks and neck thru...single cuttaway etc... too many people asked me.. "wow I love this neck...when are you going to make guitars with other shapes?".

• Members

My only guess is that Charvel needs more sales. I know they're popular on this board but my local Charvel dealer says they just sit on his walls while he sells a gazillion Schecters. I got my Charvel at cost because it had sit for a year. Doesn't make much sense to me but it could be a reason why they're putting out these types of models.

• Members

I would rock this one. Something about the body shape doesnt sit with me though. Cant really tell what it is...

2931021557_frt_wlg_001.png

I can...it's the upper rounded part of the body almost directly above the bridge. It's too stretched out, too elongated rather than circular. Almost swollen. :idk:

• Members

I can...it's the upper rounded part of the body almost directly above the bridge. It's too stretched out, too elongated rather than circular. Almost swollen.
:idk:

I will reserve judgement until I see one in person. I am actually pretty excited by all of the single cut variants these days. More to choose from!

Archived