New Car Day!!!!

MattACaster

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Nice car for gear for sure. I hate little cars and stick shifts though. I grew up driving stick and still, nothing bugs me more than a gutless car with a stick at a stop sign going up hill. Now I had a mustang cobra, and it had enough torque and power that starts weren't a problem. Trucks don't bother me either, it's just little economy cars with 4 cylinders.

You sir would love my CTS-V.

• Members

First gear should only be for pulling off really. And if you haven't driven a stick (it's unusual not to over here, we learn in them) I'd definitely second practising hill starts. Once you can hold the car still at the bite point on a hill you should be fine setting off anywhere. Just don't do it too long and burn out your clutch :cop:

• Members

Nice car for gear for sure. I hate little cars and stick shifts though. I grew up driving stick and still, nothing bugs me more than a gutless car with a stick at a stop sign going up hill. Now I had a mustang cobra, and it had enough torque and power that starts weren't a problem. Trucks don't bother me either, it's just little economy cars with 4 cylinders.

It may be little, but it's quick. 263HP w/ a Turbocharger.

• Members

Pretty much sums it up. Loaded with every option puts you at base wrx territory.

Yeah, I did a lot of research before buying and it looked like a solid car on paper. This one also has the tech package which give you the navigation (although the screen is almost useless), headlight that turn, keyless ignition, etc...

I looked at the WRX but it was more money than I wanted to spend and I wasn't crazy about the looks. I love the way the 3 looks inside and outside though. All personal preference. :thu:

• Members
First gear should only be for pulling off really. And if you haven't driven a stick (it's unusual not to over here, we learn in them) I'd definitely second practising hill starts. Once you can hold the car still at the bite point on a hill you should be fine setting off anywhere. Just don't do it too long and burn out your clutch
:cop:

Any advice for hill starts?

• Members

Sexy car! My new Volvo shares the Ford P1 platform and it's rock solid. :)

as far as driving a clutch...

get on a flat level surface and very slowly release your clutch pedal until you can feel it feathering and finally engaging fully. Once you train yourself to know where in the pedal travel it is that the business occurs, you just start coordinating your right foot to tap the gas before lifting your left foot up to the point of feathering.

Hill starts are the same way. Have your left foot let up just enough to where it's about to start feathering, then move right foot from brake to gas at the same time that you are letting the clutch start engaging.

Mainly it's all about knowing when your clutch is going to engage. People panic and dump the clutch when they're first starting, but focus on always being cognizant of where your left foot is. It's all comes down to remaining calm when the car starts rolling backwards. Slow and steady wins the race. Fast and jerky leaves you with a stalled car and people behind you going :facepalm:

• Members
{censored}. I LEARNED to drive on a stick. :poke:
:lol:
I keed, I keed.

I did as well, in the hills of Dublin, OH on an underpowered 1991 Cavalier :lol::facepalm: I significantly decreased the clutch life in that car in a very short period of time!

I mastered it on a I6 powered Jeep with a low first gear. didn't need to touch the gas to get it in first. Made hills and starting off veeeeeeeeeeerrrrry easy.

• Members

Sexy car! My new Volvo shares the Ford P1 platform and it's rock solid.
:)

get on a flat level surface and very slowly release your clutch pedal until you can feel it feathering and finally engaging fully. Once you train yourself to know where in the pedal travel it is that the business occurs, you just start coordinating your right foot to tap the gas before lifting your left foot up to the point of feathering.

Hill starts are the same way. Have your left foot let up just enough to where it's about to start feathering, then move right foot from brake to gas at the same time that you are letting the clutch start engaging.

Mainly it's all about knowing when your clutch is going to engage. People panic and dump the clutch when they're first starting, but focus on always being cognizant of where your left foot is. It's all comes down to remaining calm when the car starts rolling backwards. Slow and steady wins the race. Fast and jerky leaves you with a stalled car and people behind you going
:facepalm:

That is a GREAT description of how to drive a stick.

• Members
I did as well, in the hills of Dublin, OH on an underpowered 1991 Cavalier
:lol::facepalm:
I significantly decreased the clutch life in that car in a very short period of time!

I mastered it on a I6 powered Jeep with a low first gear. didn't need to touch the gas to get it in first. Made hills and starting off veeeeeeeeeeerrrrry easy.

Mid-80s Plymouth Horizon for me. :lol: It was rough, because that thing was very hit or miss, and it liked to slip the transmission sometimes. That clutch was more loose than a cheap Thai ladyboy.

• Members
I did as well, in the hills of Dublin, OH on an underpowered 1991 Cavalier
:lol::facepalm:
I significantly decreased the clutch life in that car in a very short period of time!

1987 Corolla here. :)

I actually sought out a manual when I bought my new car. I didn't want another auto.

• Members

If you're smooth with the clutch you shouldn't have to rev it at all to get rolling in first with a 263hp car. Once you learn where the friction point is you can go quick to that point and then smoothly let it engage and you'll roll away at idle.

Nice car too BTW...

• Members

Sexy car! My new Volvo shares the Ford P1 platform and it's rock solid.

Mainly it's all about knowing when your clutch is going to engage. People panic and dump the clutch when they're first starting, but focus on always being cognizant of where your left foot is. It's all comes down to remaining calm when the car starts rolling backwards. Slow and steady wins the race. Fast and jerky leaves you with a stalled car and people behind you going
:facepalm:

Thanks. You typed up what I didn't want to have to on my phone.

• Members
1987 Corolla here.

I actually sought out a manual when I bought my new car. I didn't want another auto.

I had sourced a gorgeous Black CPO '10 GTI 6 speed, but Stacy can't drive a manual to save her life :(

it's ok. with my son in the car, extreme performance and feeling connected to the machine are not at the top of my priority list anymore. The 5 speed sport shifting in the S40 is pretty nifty.

but really, anything feels snappy compared to my old 2.slow auto :lol:

Archived