New Car Day!!!!

MattACaster

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i had typed up the same exact post but deleted it. i always make fun of people i know in real life who cant drive a stick... is it really that hard??

The first time I ever drove a stick was when test driving a car.

the first car I owned with a manual transmission was my 2005 RSX-S. Went to the honda place having never been behind a manual transmission but been in the car with lots of people who HAD so I knew the basic mechanics of it. anyways, me my dad and the salesman got in with me driving, took a deep breath and off I went without any real problems. Every car since has had a manual.

Once you get going, it's cake unless you're going to be driving all aggressive and then the real skill comes into play.

• Members

I learned to drive in a 1973 Volkswagon Super Beetle. 4 speed, slow as molasses.

Manuals teach you to be a better, more alert driver though. You have more control over your car in bad weather, and they get better gas mileage if you drive them right. They also use less horsepower to operate than an automatic transmission (Simple physics...more moving/heavier parts = more power to turn them).

That said, one thing I can't stress enough and it drives me nuts when I'm in the car with someone driving a stick...please don't just rev the hell out of your car and slowly slip the clutch out. You will be changing that thing ever oil change if that's how you drive. Release the clutch pedal just enough to where you feel it grabbing (you can see this by looking at your tachometer) and then all it takes is barely any gas to get going. I lose my {censored} when people ride their clutch :lol:

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Here in europe autos are the minority. But I agree driving with a stick makes you a far better driver as you learn how to balance/control how much torque goes actually in the wheels of the car and when!

Anyway one great advice most teachers in driving schools give here is that in first you don't actually have to do a lot when you start to roll: you can just step on the accelerator halfway and release the clutch also halfway and the car will roll either way. Most beginners tend to try to release both at the end of their travel and it makes for a jumpy start or even turn off.

Also in hill starts especially steep ones most use the handbrake, get the engine rev highly, release the clutch a bit and actually use the handbrake/clutch full release to start the car. Especially if you have to start with reverse on a hill.

Finally, either motorway driving or around town, you can always downshift when you are rolling by half using the clutch. This is possible if you don't step on the gas at all when the car is rolling. You then take the gear off in neutral without stepping on the clutch, then just step on the clutch and punch in the bigger gear. Not working from second gear to first usually...This means that you don't press/hold the clutch two times but one. Cab drivers love this trick.

Also modern cars when going downhill and require zero gas pedal (when going downhill) to move, use the air flow to accomplish 0 gallon consumption instantly. If you take the gear in neutral at that time (assuming that you don't need it as the car rolls on its own) it actually consumes more fuel to get the engine running. So you always leave the gear in!

• Members

Lol at people that can't drive a manual! :lol:

Also, you guys seem to take winter tyres seriously?!?

I've never had any. And never had problems. :idk:

Plus someone was saying that this car will be tricky in the snow or whatever??

Isn't it front wheel drive?!? Other than 4WD, in {censored}ty conditions FWD is usually a safe bet.

• Members
Lol at people that can't drive a manual!
:lol:

Also, you guys seem to take winter tyres seriously?!?

I've never had any. And never had problems.
:idk:

Plus someone was saying that this car will be tricky in the snow or whatever??

Isn't it front wheel drive?!? Other than 4WD, in {censored}ty conditions FWD is usually a safe bet.

Because performance tires are {censored}ty as hell in the winter. Hell, they're {censored}ty as hell in rain, but you start getting ice and snow gumming up their fancy lil treads and you have some serious traction problems.

Chicago area where Mattacaster is at can get tons of snow thanks to the lake. You don't have to have winter tires, and I don't know what the tires on the Mazda are, but its not always a bad idea.

I'm a couple hours south of Chicago and thankfully we don't ever need them down here.

• Members

Because performance tires are {censored}ty as hell in the winter. Hell, they're {censored}ty as hell in rain, but you start getting ice and snow gumming up their fancy lil treads and you have some serious traction problems.

Chicago area where Mattacaster is at can get tons of snow thanks to the lake. You don't have to have winter tires, and I don't know what the tires on the Mazda are, but its not always a bad idea.

I'm a couple hours south of Chicago and thankfully we don't ever need them down here.

If he has A/S tires it would be a different story. That thing comes with summers though that are TERRIBLE in the snow. Hell my car has A/S tires but I still rock winters. Better safe than sorry and the whole extra set only cause me $620 with alloys.

• Members

If he has A/S tires it would be a different story. That thing comes with summers though that are TERRIBLE in the snow. Hell my car has A/S tires but I still rock winters. Better safe than sorry and the whole extra set only cause me $620 with alloys.

True, I didn't specify summer only performance tires. A/S are usually ok. Summer only are truly that. :lol:

Archived