Can you learn to sing or do you have to be born with it?

Bored Anon

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Buy a cheap recording device and a cheap mic. Also singing in the car helps.

Record yourself singing. You will be horrified at first
, then the only way is up.
:thu:

I completely overreach skills wise and try and sing peaks I have no way of reaching. After 20 takes, I find myself getting close.

Right now I am COMPLETELY stumped recording vocals for this track I am working on:

http://soundcloud.com/tock-1/could-this-be-the-day-early

But I'll get there in the end
:mad:

so much this

• Members

This is all been said, but finding a good vocal coach will only benefit you and your singing. The next best thing is to record yourself singing and listen to things you can improve on... and you'll probably be embarrassed by your first attempts.

You'll improve with practice and training, though.

• Members

80% is natural, 20% is practice, smart practice. Join a chorus/choir, because to become a good singer, you have to sing A LOT. Not just 2 hours every friday at practice, but all the time. Drink lots of water, warm up, and rest when your voice is tired. You singing voice can be very different from your talking voice.

I can sing pretty high, but my talking voice is low. The highs are all practice, it's not "natural" for my voice to get that high, even if my voice has become lower as I get older. With falsetto, I'm around 5 octaves.

• Members

As much as I don't want to sound like a conceited know-it-all dick...disregard all of the comments about having to be born with the ability to sing. Your voice is as much an instrument as a guitar is. When you began playing guitar, you sucked right? Well, for most people, singing is the same. You start out {censored}ty, and get better with practice. Vocal lessons can do absolute wonders, specifically Opera, regardless of your singing style.

Check out Chris Clancy. He's the ex-singer of Mutiny Within and obviously a fantastic vocalist. He told me that he had zero natural talent with singing, couldn't hold a note to save his life. He said he was a guitarist and pianist. I can't remember the exact story, but I think he was in a band with 3 guitarists and no vocalists, so they literally drew straws to figure out who was to be the singer. Chris got it and started taking vocal lessons. He doesn't sound too bad now does he?

• Members

He might still have had talent, but not known how to utilize it :) It's really the same with guitar. Someone has it very easy getting difficult stuff down, while others have to practice like hell. I believe every "art form" needs some sort of talent. Whether you know you have it or not :)

• Members

He might still have had talent, but not known how to utilize it
:)
It's really the same with guitar. Someone has it very easy getting difficult stuff down, while others have to practice like hell. I believe every "art form" needs some sort of talent. Whether you know you have it or not

That's definitely true, but most people don't realize they do have vocal talent and don't pursue it. Anyone can sing in key and sound pretty good is what I'm saying. Just like anyone can learn to play guitar.

• Members

I'd say everyone can get to the point where singing to their kids and family is perfectly fine, and they hit the right notes and have good technique.

My problem is a very bland singing voice. I sang in choirs for years, had good range, good pitch and technique, but on my own, it has no character. THAT part you're born with - or achieve through heavy whiskey drinking and smoking...

• Members

singing, as in breath control and technique, is like a muscle. it can be exercised and built, and you will lose it when out of practice.

pitch, not so sure.

my problem is finding my voice. i can imitate other singers fairly well, but singing like "me" is proving incredibly difficult. also picking a vocal style and writing vocal melodies for my band's music is proving quite frustrating.

• Members
I'd say everyone can get to the point where singing to their kids and family is perfectly fine, and they hit the right notes and have good technique.

My problem is a very bland singing voice. I sang in choirs for years, had good range, good pitch and technique, but on my own, it has no character. THAT part you're born with - or achieve through heavy whiskey drinking and smoking...

Like when someone picks up a Squier, plug into a Marshall MG and still sound amazing.. :) You can have a Squier-voice or a LP Custom voice. You can put new pickups, tuners and a Callaham-bridge on the Squier. It will sound better, but it's still a Squier :D It's the one instrument where money really doesn't matter that much, hehehe

• Members

I'm not so sure about the "born with it" bit.

I've never heard of anyone who just started singing, and was amazing.

The idea of natural ability would mean that a 4 year child would be amazing from the first time they try.

To my mind it's down to this:

Young children learn extremely quickly.

This is a major factor for two huge reasons:

1. Kids that are encouraged and have lots of singing in a fun way around them will be drawn to it. They learn to love singing and also learn pitch/timing etc. in a nice encouraging environment. I'm fully convinced the go on to be the people with "natural talent".

2. Kids that are told to shut up and don't have much music around their house learn very quickly too. Kids being told to be quiet/shut up etc. is known to be linked with adult that hate their own voice. I'm convinced that these kids grow up to be the tone deaf ones.

I guess most people fall somewhere between those two extremes.

Your "natural ability" and ability to learn will form a direct relationship to where you fall between the two extremes.

• Members
I'm not so sure about the "born with it" bit.

I've never heard of anyone who just started singing, and was amazing.

The idea of natural ability would mean that a 4 year child would be amazing from the first time they try.

To my mind it's down to this:

Young children learn extremely quickly.

This is a major factor for two huge reasons:

1. Kids that are encouraged and have lots of singing in a fun way around them will be drawn to it. They learn to love singing and also learn pitch/timing etc. in a nice encouraging environment. I'm fully convinced the go on to be the people with "natural talent".

2. Kids that are told to shut up and don't have much music around their house learn very quickly too. Kids being told to be quiet/shut up etc. is known to be linked with adult that hate their own voice. I'm convinced that these kids grow up to be the tone deaf ones.

I guess most people fall somewhere between those two extremes.

Your "natural ability" and ability to learn will form a direct relationship to where you fall between the two extremes.

Not everyone has a pleasing voice that makes people ask them to sing MORE, even if they can carry a tune :) That's the "natural" part. I can sing okay (been singing for 35 years:D), but me and a great singer would make two very different takes of the same song, with the same band, singing the same words over the same melody. And I've definitely been practicing and singing a LOT :)

• Members

Not everyone has a pleasing voice that makes people ask them to sing MORE, even if they can carry a tune
That's the "natural" part. I can sing okay (been singing for 35 years:D), but me and a great singer would make two very different takes of the same song, with the same band, singing the same words over the same melody. And I've definitely been practicing and singing a LOT

The tonality of the voice is subjective, just like amplifiers.

Tonality is also largely affected by what's going on in the persons head, and so is not related to being "born with it".

Character and delivery, however, is what gives use a convincing/desirable performance, even when both versions of the performance are technically perfect in terms of pitch/timing etc.

These are things that are also mostly related to personality, the persons formative years, and how they've learned to adapt since.

I'm trying to learn to sing, following a childhood of being told consistently to shut up, be seen and not heard etc. My father also used to deliberately sing out of tune/time and with a stupid voice in order to make a mockery of the music that was on the radio. He was a sports kind of guy. That's the environment I was in during the formative years.

The biggest advancements that I have made have been mental, not to do with practise, and I have been practising a lot (2 hours + per day).

• Members

This might not be everyone's cup of tea (kind of indie/garage rock) but it shows this Matt Murphy (lead singer of Liverpudlian band The Wombats) steady progress as a singer. Here's a video from 2005, one of the band's first songs.

Then this is in 2006.

Here's when the album which had that above song (Lost in the Post) was released. It's from 2007.

After that, the band toured and stuff for a while. Then their new album came out April of this year. Here's a song from their new album that I like and I think it shows how much he improved.

[video=youtube;w-kZnxM7-7I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-kZnxM7-7I

So I think that if you work at it, you can learn to sing. Some people are born good at it, but if you work towards it, I believe you can be just as good.

• Members

I believe that a high percentage of American people can sing because of the way you speak. It comes deep from your chest when French speaking people like me use the mouth an jaw to make sounds.

or maybe it is just because you are a bunch of loud bastards :p

Archived