So my friend left his 6505 at my house for the night...

flyingrhoads

• Members

Due to heavy rainfall. Anyway I start messing around with the settings and such, and no matter what I do it sounds lie fizzy beehive {censored} :facepalm: I tried different guitars, different cabs, different boosts, it all sounded bad. Where's that sexy raw in flames guitar tone I love so much? :cry: I'm really glad I never bought one of these

Csb

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

its in the studio / studio mix
:cop:

Bah. 95% of "studio magic" with amps is just dialing them in right, finding the right spot on speaker for the mic, and playing through the thing. The only eq that should be needed is dumping all the {censored} frequencies the bass guitar takes up.

It's not like studio guys are recording amps, taking 5 plugins then looping it through some outboard {censored} to get it to sound like it does. It sounds amazing because the guy who setup the amp and placed the mic knew what he was doing.

• Members

It's not like studio guys are recording amps, taking 5 plugins then looping it through some outboard {censored} to get it to sound like it does. It sounds amazing because the guy who setup the amp and placed the mic knew what he was doing.

And a gigantic part of it is tight playing, a good song arrangement, and the other elements of the mix being well done. :thu:

• Members

to clear up / add to what i said before before

and the other elements of the mix being well done.
:thu:

this is what i was meant to say - being the studio mix. add the other instruments, mic it, and starts sounding big, better, what your hearing on the record.

or not...? i dont mind being put right :cop:

• Members

That fizz disappears in a live band setting, I can't {censored}ing stand playing my 5150 II by itself, but I swear after my rig is setup on stage and I'm sound checking, it sounds like a different amp, go figure....

I agree completely

I'm not a big fan of my 6505+ when I'm jamming by myself and i regularly jam with the post on 3-4 even when jamming alone. But when its in a live band mix it sounds {censored}ing killer!

Cuts thru with ease and stays tight and articulate

Give it another try with these settings and see what you think

Bass 7

Mid 3.5

High 5

Post 3 or higher

Pre 4 with 808 type pedal boosting it

Res and Pres both around noon

• Members

And a gigantic part of it is tight playing, a good song arrangement, and the other elements of the mix being well done.
:thu:

Tight playing and song arrangement go along with it. My point only point was that if it sounds like {censored} then it will sound like {censored} no matter how much you try to make it work in the mix. A poorly dialed in amp will be a poorly dialed in amp no matter where it is or what purpose it's serving.

Archived