So Mini amps are popular now?

Cliff Fiscal

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

sorry, I mainly meant in the US. I forget that we are worldwide here!

When I started playing gigs in the late 80's Everything was mic'd, including my AC30 and JCM 800 despite the fact that we played LOUD.

BUT

That was when stages / rooms were large in my city and pretty much across Australia.

Rock bands like INXS, ACDC, Cold Chisel etc were born and incubated in this environment.

Gaming machines were introduced in the early 90's and hoteliers thought they were the holy grail to extract money from punters pockets.

Noise regulations were retrospectively enforced by local govt. hell bent on building high density dwellings next to venues.

Due to this, in the last 20 years, most of those rooms became gaming / extra dining space.

Live music was relegated to front bars and became the sequenced duo playing in the corner because they were cheaper than a band.

It has turned around a lot over the past 10 years as Hotels have realised that they need a mix of entertainment.

Also people 35+ have started to go frequent hotels more and grew up expecting good live music in bars.

BUT Volumes are still considerably lower.

Hence the amount of shows I play unmic'd using relatively small amps (Princetons and Brown Vibrolux).

I only use my '62 AC30 for outdoor shows.

I'm selling my JCM 800

• Members

The main thing I notice is this: lots of tube amps, particularly low to mid gain ones, have a "sweet spot" where they're happiest and sound best, and it doesn't really matter what the maximum volume of the amp is, there will be a spot in there where it just sounds great. On my 20 watt Laney it's around volume 6, on my 50 watt Orange it's a bit later, just past 7.

In my experience 20-50 watts can get to that sweet spot when you're gigging, but it's a bit loud for home use if you have neighbours.

100 watts can get to that sweet spot at some gigs, but it's loud, and you'll get tinnitus after a while.

5-15 watts is where it's at if you want to hit the sweet spot at home volumes.

Probably the wisest thing anyone's said yet in this thread.

• Members
I think it's because the lower wattage allows the amps to be driven for power tube distortion at a reasonable volume.

I can't decide between the Egnater Rebel, or Mesa Mini-Rectifier.

Two different tones, but I dig them both.

I really wish Mesa would make a mini-Mark V.

Short chassis Simul-Class Mk IV, set to triode and class a. How much more mini do you need? :confused:

• Members
^wait a minute I think your up to something here!

Im having a Jeff Goldbloom Indepence Day Momment.

OK....SCARF?.. miind me im not coughing...who wheres scarfs on hot days to look cool.....um kids...whats kind of kids...young ones or old people who pretend there young? um kids with scarfs play guitar....why most kids with scarfs on hot days have fixie bikes too. hhmmmmmmm

UMMM. HIPSTERS? hipsters....have infiltrated the Guitar culture! and are attempting to make it as un-cool as hunter S thompsons 4th unravaling of some crap he wrote in the 20's when he was in his dads nuts.

mystery solved
:)

:lol:

• Members

Your JSX sounds like {censored} at apartment volumes, like every other JSX.

Also, how {censored}ing stupid does someone have to be to not understand why someone might want a smaller, low-powered amp?

Seriously GAS TROLL, tell me.

Lol..u mad?

Actually the ultra series amps are known for sounding good at low volumes. I suppose everyone who says this, including me could all be wrong..and the youtube vids and clips and all that are also all wrong. Mini amps mean that much to ya huh? No ones coming to take them away from you..but I can do without a mini

• Members

i'm not sure i can even read this thread.. but.. what constitutes 'mini head'?

like-- sub 10 watts? or just a small box?

it ALWAYS busts me up to hear dudes say '{censored} 84's.. power tube distortion is useless'... it basically just says 'i have no idea how to work with this kind of amp' to me, more than anything else. you have to learn how to use an NMV amp- that's all. i'd GUARANTEE that everyone who 'hates the sound of power tube distortion' has their bass dimed.

• Members

I dig any amp that sounds good. Just noticed a trend in mini/micro/lunchbox amps.

There will always be trends. As long as people get things for the right reason then I have no problems.

I think it's awesome that technology has advanced so far that I can get a nice sounding tube setup for $300-$400. That was unheard of in the past. I LOVE my JVM when it's cranked, but I can't wait to have a smaller and quieter setup at home.

• Members

i'm not sure i can even read this thread.. but.. what constitutes 'mini head'?

like-- sub 10 watts? or just a small box?

it ALWAYS busts me up to hear dudes say '{censored} 84's.. power tube distortion is useless'... it basically just says 'i have no idea how to work with this kind of amp' to me, more than anything else. you have to learn how to use an NMV amp- that's all. i'd GUARANTEE that everyone who 'hates the sound of power tube distortion' has their bass dimed.

+1

Every time I see someone posting about wanting MORE LOW END@!!!! on here I just :facepalm: Same as when I hear a guitarist dial in a muddy pos low-end heavy tone that won't blend with any other player in the band. Noobs.

• Members

One of the main reasons is affordability.

In an earlier post, I mentioned that I would love a mini-Mark V, and not just because the full size MkV is too much amp. Rather, the $2300 price tag is the deterrent.

Not that $1000 is cheap, but it is more affordable to a wider audience. A ton of people would be willing to sacrifice some power and features, as long as the true essence of the amp is still there.

Hence the recent popularity of the "smaller" amps.

• Members
A ton of people would be willing to sacrifice some power and features, as long as the true essence of the amp is still there.

Hence the recent popularity of the "smaller" amps.

enter vox!

ac15 dosent equal a ac30?

how is a blues junior, a MINI TWIN?

your never going to have a "MINI RECTO". if you really want a mini recto, or a cheaper recto, your going to have to look into cheaper amps that are close to the same specs.

im beggening to think everyone just thinkgs they feel like they have big nuts if it says MESA on the thing or BOGNER. why would you subconsciously lie to yourself and buy a mini recto if you wanted the rectofier for what the rectifier is known for? being a huge amp with tons of head room!
:idk:

• Members

your never going to have a "MINI RECTO". if you really want a mini recto, or a cheaper recto, your going to have to look into cheaper amps that are close to the same specs.

What are you talking about?

The Mesa mini-rectifier is available for $1000 at Guitar Center.

I wish they made a mini-MKV, because I like the sound of that much better than a rectifier.

• Members

^ hoooop.

way over your head there. some one explain it him. you guys lack imagination?

why his "MINI RECTO" isnt a rectofier. i know its for real you guys, it just not a rectifier not even in spirit if you ask me once you cut down that much wattage, anymore than an AC15 is an AC30, not even the same.

• Members

^ hoooop.

way over your head there. some one explain it him. you guys lack imagination?

why his "MINI RECTO" isnt a rectofier. i know its for real you guys, it just not a rectifier not even in spirit if you ask me once you cut down that much wattage, anymore than an AC15 is an AC30, not even the same.

No, moron, I don't lack imagination. But you said there is no mini-recto when in fact you can buy one right now. I don't care if YOU say it sounds different and shouldn't be a recto...it exists and is for sale under that name.

Obviously there will be some tonal difference. I'm not arguing that.

• Members

^some is an understatement. and dont call me a moron you underdeveloped scum!

thats why i PUT IT IN """""""""""""".

call it what you want its not a fawking rectofier at all.

:facepalm:

got it! get it! GOOD!

This post just makes you look like an even bigger moron.

No one cares what you think makes an amp a "Mesa Recto". Obviously Mesa Boogie decided it fit the bill, but maybe we should all follow your definition instead :lol:

Archived