So Mini amps are popular now?

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

Mini Amps are cool but usually can't deliver the headroom I need. Also IMO they don't sound as full or thick as their full size counterparts.

Interesting that yuo say that. I have a Blackstar HT40 and an HT5. The 40 is more versatile but the 5 has a fuller bottom. It's actually a little annoying since I assumed the higher wattage combined with EL34's vs a single 12BH7 would give more more oommmph.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Mini / small amps never really went out of popularity...

Stages just got bigger in the 60's, 70's, and 80's guitarists wanted more headroom, and PA's were initially devoted to drums and vocals hence the need to play "straight off" stage with large amps.

How many great recordings have been done using small amps in the studio e.g.

Clapton= Fender 5F1 Champ (3.5watts) and 6G2 Princeton (10watts)

Page= Supro Thunderbolt (14 watts)

In fact smaller amps mean less spill in studio applications.

I think the re-commercialization of smaller amps is due to the fact that

at some stage you have a family or partner to consider, and as I said above...

You don't need a big amp to get great tone.

Not disagreeing with you there, see last post :wave:

• Members

As I said metal amps are a different story, but even then some people might have different tastes and needs than you do.

I loved the sound of my Recto, but it just wasn't right in my living and recording situation. The tones I liked from that amp I liked when it was cranked, as I do with most amps. Some guys like the sound and feel of a poweramp working hard. In that case if they don't need that kind of volume but want the pushed tones, then a smaller wattage amp is going to make a lot more sense. It would have been stupid for me to purchase a 50 or 100 watt JMP or JCM800 instead of my Fargen because the Marshall equivalents would have been unusable for the amount of power distortion I like.

Are mini-amps very popular right now? Yes especially with how home-recording is these days. But it isn't like the idea of smaller amps is some new fad that came just came out of the blue in the 2000's. Lots of blues and rock artists have been using lower wattage amps for a long time especially in the recording studio. Amps like the champ which started out as just a student practice amp became well known for its good pushed tones and became popular over the years. Some people just like the tone more of smaller wattage amps for their styles.

It actually is the current fad. Just because it's been around for a while, that doesn't change anything. A fad is something that gains popularity before everyone moves on to the "next big thing". Marshalls were fads, Rectos were fads, etc etc. Have those been around for a while? Obviously..but the rush of "everyone's getting them I want one too!" comes and goes..and those are fads. Currently everyone thinks mini amps are the thing to have, to the point that lots of people are getting them and have no real clue of the purpose of them, but everyone else has them. Do you know how many threads I read where someone "needs" a mini amp and their reasoning makes little sense? I didn't say the amps were useless, I'm saying it's a stupid fad for people who wouldn't be at a loss keeping or getting their full sized heads

Not to mention many full sized amps are doing the "drop wattage" thing now..and pulling power tubes has always worked fine. Some people benefit from a smaller amp, many however just want one because it's the thing to have

• Members

Interesting that yuo say that. I have a Blackstar HT40 and an HT5. The 40 is more versatile but the 5 has a fuller bottom. It's actually a little annoying since I assumed the higher wattage combined with EL34's vs a single 12BH7 would give more more oommmph.

That is interesting that the 5 has a fuller bottom. I need to try Blackstar stuff. But in terms of Mesa, JetCity, Egnater, I found they don't sound as thick as many bigger amps, which I would expect. Theyre still awesome though and I actually have a JCA22 on order.

• Members

It actually is the current fad. Just because it's been around for a while, that doesn't change anything. A fad is something that gains popularity before everyone moves on to the "next big thing".
Marshalls were fads
, Rectos were fads, etc etc. Have those been around for a while? Obviously..but the rush of "everyone's getting them I want one too!" comes and goes..and those are fads. Currently everyone thinks mini amps are the thing to have, to the point that lots of people are getting them and have no real clue of the purpose of them, but everyone else has them. Do you know how many threads I read where someone "needs" a mini amp and their reasoning makes little sense? I didn't say the amps were useless, I'm saying it's a stupid fad for people who wouldn't be at a loss keeping or getting their full sized heads

My definition of a fad must be different then, I assumed fads usually die out.

Anyhow, the point I was trying to get across was that some people believe the idea of using smaller wattage amps is something new when it has been around and in use by many artists for a long time.

• Members

My definition of a fad must be different then, I assumed fads usually die out.

Anyhow, the point I was trying to get across was that some people believe the idea of using smaller wattage amps is something new when it has been around and in use by many artists for a long time.

The Marshall craze has died out...a gear fad doesn't mean the company building just explodes and the brand doesn't exist anymore..the craze of everyone needing to have one dies. There was a time where Marshalls were the thing to have, then with nu-metal everyone needed a recto, etc. Do these companies still sell? Of course..has the hype died down? Yes

• Members
Not disagreeing with you there, see last post
:wave:

Yep, Point taken and I agree with you too.
It seems either you like Preamp gain OR Power amp / speaker push.

For the record a mate of mine has a Mk V and runs it through a 4 x 12. It is never out of "tweed" mode.
He's just bought a 1 x 12 cab to take to gigs and practice with...
Maybe the perfect compromise!!!!???

• Members

The Marshall craze has died out...a gear fad doesn't mean the company building just explodes and the brand doesn't exist anymore..the craze of everyone needing to have one dies. There was a time where Marshalls were the thing to have, then with nu-metal everyone needed a recto, etc. Do these companies still sell? Of course..has the hype died down? Yes

Meh. I consider something like moodrings a fad, but w/e.

I just can't make myself call a JCM800 a fad :lol:.

• Members

I own a 6505, DSL50, a Traynor YCV40 and a Mini Rectifier...

And I have to agree witn squinty's post below:

1) Volume sensitivity-

I play 3 to 4 nights per week.

There are very few
regular
large venues for local original or cover acts where I live. Most venues are clubs / pub gigs.

Volume is an issue for most of these venues as most have dining / function rooms next to performance spaces / bars.

I happily use my '66 Princeton Reverb or my '64 6G2 Princeton for band gigs although prefer my '62 Vibrolux's tone (at 30 watts it's not big anyway).

2) Space-

Performance spaces / stages have reduced with the size of the performance rooms in the last 20 years. Hence the need for smaller amps.

Try fitting a head and quad plus drums, bass rig, keys and a PA into the average stage (4 x 2 m) and still have room to perform.

3) CBF (Can't be {censored}ed) factor.

After years of loading up, loading in, setting up, playing, packing up, loading out and unloading at home, I really can't be {censored}ed busting my back anymore.

Big amps are for pro's big enough to have roadies or one gig a fortnight pretenders.

4) You don't need a big amp to get great tone...

My Mini is all the above and sounds very very good.

And I must admit, if you are looking for a basement amp, the Mini is too loud, even on 10 watts mode.

• Members

I quite like the concept of mini heads, but until now, I.e. Tweaker 40, no one has made one that will actually work for me live. Purely because they don't have the headroom I require. My JTM45 struggles with headroom at most of my gigs which some find hard to believe :freak: It's only 30w!!

To be fair I buy a lot of my equipment for live use. If an amp is literally only going to be used in the house, I don't tend to spend a lot on it..

I like using my JTM live with my blues band because I can crank the {censored} out of it and then boost it. I can happily run it maxed in that band and have the most glorious tones, but then I run out of oomph for solos :(

The same would apply for all these mini amps for me....

Can't wait to get a Bassman!

Not only that, I find the smaller power sections sound smaller in general, and I like my tones to be thick and meaty with solid low end. 25w and under struggles to deliver that..

I like a good solid "thunk" on palm mutes and riffs!

• Moderators

This is a difference between lighting up your power amp's tubes... and pre distortion. Hey, pre distortion]s fine if that's your thing. Randy Rhoads, et al. But not if you're Angus or Malcolm. Or Paul Kossoff. Or Mick Ralphs.

To each his own.

I walked into my local where a band of 20 somethings were playing the music of Merle Haggard and The Band. The guitarist was pushing a '65 era Princeton with an old Tele. You're not going to get that... with pre distortion. It's not better, but more my taste.

• Members
1000$ for mini recto, doesn't sound cheap for me.

What models have you played?

Cheaper than a $2300 "real" Recto :lol:

I have played a lot of the ones that have been out for awhile. I have not played the mini-recto, but the clips so far sound pretty good, but not as "huge" as my Triple Recto.

• Members

The mini amps are cheaper for manufacturers to make and they know they will sell and make good profits. That's pretty much the reason there are so many new mini/lower wattage amps right now. They have always been around to a certain extent but now almost every amp company has one. It's about selling and making money and the public has shown enough intrest to warrant these companies to make them.

Personally I don't think most of the mini's sound very good. Usually their best tone comes when they are cranked up and in those cases they are usually very loud which pretty much defeats the purpose most buy them for.

IMO the best amp to buy for good sound at lower volumes is a SS amp.

• Members

If fuzzy preamp distortion is mainly someones thing, I still can't see why it would be that hard to grasp the concept of someone wanting power tube saturation at lower volumes.

It's not a fad, its innovation and good engineering. 100 watt high gain monsters is a fad.

"What is this its new and different from what I've grown used to so it must be bad and I hope they stop selling them so other people can't be happy with them" :facepalm:

Archived