How much effect does a cab have on tone?

Cliff Fiscal

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Are you using JJ preamp tubes?

Not in everything. I plugged in my brand new Tweaker 40 and it was a little flat....the cab has HOT100s in it now.....which probably aren't the best match anyway.

I'm going to try my Veteran 30s or my Weber Sig 12s speakers and see what happens. If it's still flat, I'll probably just ditch it unloaded on craigslist. :o

• Members

Could just be that your ears have gone off. Happens over time and volume
:(

I don't think that's the case either.......I A/B'd it last night with my Vox cab....the vox cab sounded fine.

(plus I almost always wear ear plugs.....when playing or going out to shows.)

• Members

not dumb, because no I haven't......could the grill make that much difference?

Uhh, yeah, that's probably the main thing affecting it (no one seriously thought of that?). I believe that model is based off the orange, which uses a very thick grill cloth, which makes the cab sound darker.

• Members

Is the cab the right way around?
:lol:

Unless the grill cloth is really thick I doubt that's the problem.

I'm stumped, assuming you're not trolling the {censored} out of everyone.

Have you ever put something in front of a speaker? Jeesh I wonder why I ever come here anymore.

• Members

Is the cab the right way around?
:lol:

Unless the grill cloth is really thick I doubt that's the problem.

I'm stumped, assuming you're not trolling the {censored} out of everyone.

HA! :D

I think the cab is just dark.......I'll try it without the back panel to see if that does anything.....

Probably should check the jack and the wiring too......

Not trolling, the cab is dark no matter which speakers are in it.

• Members

It looks like this, but in cream color.

_c208038_image_0.jpg

Here is the culprit.

The colour pigment they use in the orange is much more conducive to the mid frequncies, making it a great choice for guitars.

The cream otoh has a different pigment in it that emphasizes the lows, making it perfect for bass, but pretty much unuseable for guitars. :idea:

...this actually makes sense if you believe that the enclosure makes any difference in tone beyond altering bass response :D

• Members

I've tried WGS GBs, Celestion HOT100s (for my Matamp), V30s, and even some Weber Alnico 12S.

All sort of dark and muted.....in the Avatar closed back 2x12

I put some of the same speakers in a open back Vox 2x12 and they sounded better.

Try it with the back off the Avatar.

• Members

I definitely think cabs make a difference. I've played lots of different cabs with V30s and they all sounded different even with the same amp/guitar etc. So... yeah. Speakers definitely make a big difference too though obviously.

A great example of this is the Mesa Recto Standard vs. the Mesa Recto Traditional, which are made of the exact same materials in the same workshop, loaded with the same speakers, and sound and react noticeably differently purely because the Standard is about four inches taller.

• Members
I've tried WGS GBs, Celestion HOT100s (for my Matamp), V30s, and even some Weber Alnico 12S.

All sort of dark and muted.....in the Avatar closed back 2x12

I put some of the same speakers in a open back Vox 2x12 and they sounded better.

You say this then you later say you discovered it had no sound absorbing material in the cab........:cop:

Archived