How much effect does a cab have on tone?

Cliff Fiscal

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Which kind? Contemporary or Traditional? The traditional sucks, they sound like their made out of cardboard. The contemporary is nice though. Pretty chunky sounding with my setup.

There are also VINTAGE avatar's - I'm happy with mine

I also think you want to stay away from the TRRADITIONALS.

• Members

I haven't had a ton of experience with different cabs to be honest but if its anything like IR's well...huge difference lol....

It's like IRs, but it's much more significant when you're standing next to the amp. Changes the feel, resonance, and everything.

• Members

so Josh? What's the deal with the dampening? You pull it out yet?

There wasn't any. LOL

I opened it up and it was just plywood.

I was thinking about a different cab. :facepalm:

It's been a while since I had the cab open.

sorry!

I have the HOT100s in there....as I was using it with my Matamp.....so I'm going to try some different speakers in there and see what happens.

That cab has always been dark. :idk:

If it still sounds dark or dead.......is there anything I can do?

• Members

That is their Traditional model... I wouldn't have expected this one to sound dark and muffled. I had one and I hated how it resonated with the Celestion Classic Lead 80s in it, it didn't sound bad, but their other models sound tons better. However, it was not dark or muffled sounding at all.

I am really at a loss on how to make it better for you, maybe convert it to a partial open back cab. All it would take is a saw, or you could check with Avatar to see if you could get two panels to make it an open back... If Vintage 30s didn't fix the problem, I don't know what will :idk:

Cole

• Members

I am really at a loss on how to make it better for you, maybe convert it to a partial open back cab. All it would take is a saw, or you could check with Avatar to see if you could get two panels to make it an open back... If Vintage 30s didn't fix the problem, I don't know what will :idk:

Cole
This is a good idea if you don't mind hacking up your cab.....It will brightin' up the amp some.....it may be what you need.

• Members

1. Yes.

2. Don't start doing random ports unless you're an acoustical engineer.

EDIT: btw, I don't think these are going to help, anyways.

Yeah, I'm kind of pissed now.

I figured......and I doubt ports would make a drastic difference.

The cab doesn't sound BAD, it just sound flat. I'll have to try the brightest speakers I have and seen if it changes anything.

Archived