Low IQ & Conservative Beliefs Linked to Prejudice

Tommy Horrible

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you are really interested in this topic, check out Ken Wilber / Spiral Dynamics / Integral Theory. Spiral Dynamics is a theory based of 50 years of research of how people's thinking changes over time. Other similar studies confirm the general idea.

Basically, as we grow up, we start gaining additional perspectives. As an infant, we care only for ourselves. Then as a child most of us learn to care about / identify with our family / tribe / people like ourselves. The some keep growing and can care for / identify with those outside our tribe / people we don't personally know, those of another race. If you think for a second, concern for those outside our tribe is essential for liberal thinking, less so for conservative thinking.
We are not sure why some people get stuck and stop expanding. While this theory does not hold up liberalism as the goal, it does imply the capacity for liberal thinking does come later.

You can't discuss political philosophy long before you end up in psychology, that's what this is really all about. If there were knobs on the back of everyone's head for traits like empathy, rigidity, novelty, tradition, I could dial you up a liberal or conservative.

Problems with conservative thinking:
-xenophobia
-dogma
-rigidity
-hostility to science (it destroys dogma)

Problems with liberal (post-modern) thinking:
-against good hiearchies, valueless
-political correctness
-compulsive and relentlessy deconstructs other memes (ideas / worldviews / stages)

• Members

One could argue that Intelligence and Liberalism = Homo
:idk:

Who gets to gauge intelligence anyway? I know plenty of Doctoral Candidates who couldn't tie their {censored}ing shoe without a Hawkings symposium on the topic...I also know many rednecks that can fix just about anything with some spit, a budweiser can, and some gum.

This article is mass scale trolling.

i am newholland, and i support this message.

• Members
And speaking of the media. HONEST question (Im talking reporters and journalists for the most part, not opinion heads)

Are they more sympathetic to liberal or conservative views? Do they "paint them and cover them and the politicians of each party "exactly the same? Whatchya guys think?

:)

They seesaw based on whoever happens to be in favor. They tend to favor whoever isn't in favor during any given period, which is odd because, for the vast majority of half-witted dim-bulbs, which seems to be the vast majority of everybody, the media sets up whoever is in favor. So basically, they're the chick on her knees, the democrats and republicans are standing over her, and the media swings its head back and forth, sucking each in turn. Whoever gets close to blowing, they swing the other way.

Meantime, third parties are standing alone in the back corner watching and masturbating furiously.

I have a theory that the lower your intelligence the more easily you are drawn into political battles that rage around party lines rather than around actual issues. I mean, that certainly would explain the raging stupidity we see going on among the two big parties.

• Members

I have a theory that the lower your intelligence the more easily you are drawn into political battles that rage around party lines rather than around actual issues. I mean, that certainly would explain the raging stupidity we see going on among the two big parties.

HAHAHA so true.

• Members

prejudice & racism = just more of the many tools they use to keep everyone bickering to cover up the bigger issues that effect everyone.

Being united against a common enemy is a great way to get support. So making up a common enemy is also a great way to get support.

Whether that is the rich (democrats) or the guy in turbans over there that have WOMDs (republicans), or whatever YOUR favorite political party is making their scapegoat of the week. They are different sides of the same coin, all of em.

• Members
One could argue that Intelligence and Liberalism = Homo

Seeing as it's usually Conservative Evangelicals that we see getting caught with gay prostitutes, or having attempting to have gay sex with strangers in airport bathrooms, I don't really follow your line of reasoning.

Sounds like you're grasping at straws to me, denial is a powerful neurosis. Good luck with that.

• Members

In all fairness, most conservatives I know personally ARE somewhat racist.
:cop:

But in the same sense, most of them are pretty smart at the same time.
:o
:poke:

I dont think racism is a symptom of stupidity. Its a symptom of inexperience. When someone isnt exposed to different types of people they have to infer things about those people. People fill in the gaps of knowledge/experience with fear or distrust. This makes sense evolutionarily speaking. It take experience to fill in these gaps with real world information and to dispel this distrust.

• Members

I dont think racism is a symptom of stupidity. Its a symptom of inexperience. When someone isnt exposed to different types of people they have to infer things about those people. People fill in the gaps of knowledge/experience with fear or distrust. This makes sense evolutionarily speaking. It take experience to fill in these gaps with real world information and to dispel this distrust.

I agree, and it's a shame.

• Members

I can't find a link to it at the moment, but I remember reading a study done a few years back by a research group that showed that Republicans were the least informed segment of our society.

They put together a test designed to determine how politically informed any given person was. The questions were designed not to be affected by ideology, for example "What is the difference between Medicare and Medicaid?" and "Who is eligible for each?", etc. For each question, there was a right answer, and that answer had nothing to do with one's political views, but was based purely on facts.

They also asked everyone taking the test their political affiliation (Repub, Dem or Independant) and how politically informed they believe they are on a scale of 1-10, with ten being the most informed. They instituted the test in areas throughout the country to make sure that their results weren't skewed by geography. Regardless of where they gave the test, they got the same overall results:

1) Republicans consistently considered themselves the most informed.
but
2) Republicans consistently scored the lowest of the three groups.

The phrase "too stupid to know what they don't know" comes to mind. But that's what happens when you have an army of meatheads armed with talking points gleaned from Republican propaganda rags instead of actually being remotely informed about anything.

• Members

I can't find a link to it at the moment, but I remember reading a study done a few years back by a research group that showed that Republicans were the least informed segment of our society.

They put together a test designed to determine how politically informed any given person was. The questions were designed not to be affected by ideology, for example "What is the difference between Medicare and Medicaid?" and "Who is eligible for each?", etc. For each question, there was a right answer, and that answer had nothing to do with one's political views, but was based purely on facts.

They also asked everyone taking the test their political affiliation (Repub, Dem or Independant) and how politically informed they believe they are on a scale of 1-10, with ten being the most informed. They instituted the test in areas throughout the country to make sure that their results weren't skewed by geography. Regardless of where they gave the test, they got the same overall results:

1) Republicans consistently considered themselves the most informed.

but

2) Republicans consistently scored the lowest of the three groups.

The phrase "too stupid to know what they don't know" comes to mind. But that's what happens when you have an army of meatheads armed with talking points gleaned from Republican propaganda rags instead of actually being remotely informed about anything.

Wow. Do you actually believe everything you read?

According to the media, every republican voter is a toothless, hillbilly redneck with a 3rd grade education and a Hitler poster on his living room wall. Every democrat voter is a well educated, highly intelligent person who is, for lack of a better word, perfect.

I live in the hood in Atl with a bunch of crackheads and thugs right across the street from me. Every time there is an election, a bus comes thru to pick them up to go vote democrat. Yeah, those guys are geniuses and not racists at all. Really progressive, those guys.

Archived