Dear Musician's Friend: Please sell Harmony Central to someone who cares

guitarbilly74

• Members
For the record, I do have to say that was an illusion. It indeed WAS working fine, but the continued increase in traffic was causing it to break in ways where it was slowly but surely becoming impossible to fix.
Of course, 2.0 "solved" that problem by killing our traffic
:mad:

As to the comment that it doesn't need to "go" anywhere, I would amend that to say it DOES need to go in a direction where it doesn't just work for the present, but has the capacity to absorb further increases in traffic and growth. Because when it
does
work traffic increases, and we'd better be prepared.

And yes, I too Ctrl-C long replies. I've lost too many...

Well, to be fair, when the early reports of what it was going to be came out, the vast majority of people who frequented this forum (myself included) stated to the mods, admins, whoever would listen, that it was unusable. We said that we loved this place, and loved posting here, but going to that format just wouldn't fly, and we wouldn't be staying if they insisted on making the change. When the switch was officially made, that's EXACTLY what happened, and I think most people posted only so they could inform people they had become friends with where they could now be found, etc. Myself, I completely lost my account and had create another one, because I had signed up way back in 2001.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, to be fair, when the early reports of what it was going to be came out, the vast majority of people who frequented this forum (myself included) stated to the mods, admins, whoever would listen, that it was unusable.

Agreed. I was over in Germany covering the Frankfurt show when they said 2.0 was ready and IT was going to flip the switch. I said please don't, that it wasn't ready for prime time.

OTOH, being right was one of the reasons they paid attention when I said we HAD to go back to vBulletin on the forums before things got even worse, and it sure didn't hurt that there were 4,557,341 threads saying the exact same thing :) Well, maybe it wasn't that many, but it was close.

Other companies would have fired me for "being negative" but they didn't, and they did go back to vBulletin, so I'll always give MF credit for that.

• Members

For the record, I do have to say that was an illusion. It indeed WAS working fine, but the continued increase in traffic was causing it to break in ways where it was slowly but surely becoming impossible to fix. Of course, 2.0 "solved" that problem by killing our traffic
:mad:

As to the comment that it doesn't need to "go" anywhere, I would amend that to say it DOES need to go in a direction where it doesn't just work for the present, but has the capacity to absorb further increases in traffic and growth. Because when it
does
work traffic increases, and we'd better be prepared.

And yes, I too Ctrl-C long replies. I've lost too many...

Yes, it absolutely should be upgraded to be able to handle traffic. No question about that.

What I say saying is we don't really need any "extra" features, the ones that existed before were good enough. If it can be improved, sure why not.. but not at the expense of what was already there.

• Members
Agreed. I was over in Germany covering the Frankfurt show when they said 2.0 was ready and IT was going to flip the switch. I said please don't, that it wasn't ready for prime time.

OTOH, being right was one of the reasons they paid attention when I said we HAD to go back to vBulletin on the forums before things got even worse, and it sure didn't hurt that there were 4,557,341 threads saying the exact same thing
:)
Well, maybe it wasn't that many, but it was close.

Other companies would have fired me for "being negative" but they didn't, and they did go back to vBulletin, so I'll always give MF credit for that.

Do the old reviews still exist?

• Members

Do the old reviews still exist?

Some of them are there, but a LOT of the reviews are missing. All the guitar pickup reviews were wiped out. Also google had all the old reviews indexed so if you were googling a piece of gear they would show up, that no longer works and you have to manually search for them on the site and the new interface is horrible.

• Members

Some of them are there, but a LOT of the reviews are missing. All the guitar pickup reviews were wiped out. Also google had all the old reviews indexed so if you were googling a piece of gear they would show up, that no longer works and you have to manually search for them on the site and the new interface is horrible.

I used the google method for a little while too. Have you noticed with the new format that a fraction of reviews are being written as compared to before?

• Members

I used the google method for a little while too. Have you noticed with the new format that a fraction of reviews are being written as compared to before?

Yes, because it's hard to navigate, read and post on it.

Before this happened, writing a review on HC was a big part of the fun of buying new gear. I always LOVED to do it. Now I barely even check them and just hang out at HCAF. They totally got something that was really cool and turned it into a pile of crap.

• Members

Before this happened, writing a review on HC was a big part of the fun of buying new gear. I always LOVED to do it. Now I barely even check them and just hang out at HCAF. They totally got something that was really cool and turned it into a pile of crap.

I'm spending three times as much time here since they changed it. I used to spend hours reading reviews on things I just bought or was interested in buying. I hate that you can't use the back arrow button with the reviews.

• Members

Yeah, I agree with that. Before I ever posted here I would read and write reviews.. I honestly havent even thought of it.. And even when I did search for a review of a certain product recently there wasnt any or the navigation was weird.. So yeah, they {censored}ed that up

• Members

This is very basic {censored}. It's off the shelf software that works everywhere else it's used. They made a big deal of all the IT work that was being done. It's a {censored}in discussion forum. No major applications, at all. This BS about them getting all this spam slowed it down. Why was HC the only forum targeted?

• Members

I will say, its been better of late. Oh, there is still random lag, dropped posts, and whatnot, but compared to a couple months ago....much better.

The ads however...are hilarious. I love seeing ads for Norwegian ship fenders up there. Its great. :lol:

edit: The old reviews were great. Even before I was a member here I used to check them out. It was pretty much them or the UG reviews and...well, while some of the HC reviews were a bit off, it was night and day and I knew even less than I know now! :eek:

• Members

This is very basic {censored}. It's off the shelf software that works everywhere else it's used. They made a big deal of all the IT work that was being done. It's a {censored}in discussion forum. No major applications, at all. This BS about them getting all this spam slowed it down. Why was HC the only forum targeted?

What really happened is that they were running it on a {censored}ty server that wasn't designed to handle it. So then they had some hack "developer" there try to modify the forum software to make it less processor hungry (hence disabling search). This was the beginning of the forum going to {censored}. What they really needed to do was realize that it takes money to make money and invest in proper server hardware.

• Members

They must know we see the stupid ad stuff. They must also know that we cannot use the search function. I would hate to see numbers drop off because we cannot review reviews. And I am just saying it how I see it.

• Members

I joined the site before it was bought by MF and it seemed to work fine back then. I don't know what happened after it was sold but that's when all kinds of issues started up.

One of the greatest losses to me was the disappearance of all the old gear reviews.

• Members

What really happened is that they were running it on a {censored}ty server that wasn't designed to handle it. So then they had some hack "developer" there try to modify the forum software to make it less processor hungry (hence disabling search). This was the beginning of the forum going to {censored}. What they really needed to do was realize that it takes money to make money and invest in proper server hardware.

You think they downgraded the servers? Why would they do that. Before the total collapse, there were twice as many posters here and it ran fine.

• Members
I will say, its been better of late. Oh, there is still random lag, dropped posts, and whatnot, but compared to a couple months ago....much better.

The ads however...are hilarious. I love seeing ads for Norwegian ship fenders up there. Its great.
:lol:

edit: The old reviews were great. Even before I was a member here I used to check them out. It was pretty much them or the UG reviews and...well, while some of the HC reviews were a bit off, it was night and day and I knew even less than I know now!
:eek:

WTF is it with the ads? Right now there is some weird ass wooden looking Iphone cases up there. Plus there has been some seriously strange ones popping up like discount kelvar vests and something todo with saving the rain forest.

Archived