Dear Musician's Friend: Please sell Harmony Central to someone who cares

guitarbilly74

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The 2.0 {censored}ed up the review site completely. They lost years of cool reviews of some gear that people don't even post about anymore. HC was the place to go every time I needed info on some obscure gear and sure enough, there was a review there. Now there is nothing and you can barely navigate that {censored}. Way to {censored} up with decades of great, free information.

I could still get to the old reviews for a few days after the conversion and then they nuked the link. I'm pretty sure they buried the reviews intentionally. I have no idea why.

• Members

i dont buy the "it's free" bit either.... i pay an annual fee to Talkbass mainly just bc their Classifieds section whips all kinds of ass and is really the only place online I will buy and sell gear.

i'd have no prob dropping $10-15/yr for a Mapz site that's kept up properly.

• Members
The 2.0 {censored}ed up the review site completely. They lost years of cool reviews of some gear that people don't even post about anymore. HC was the place to go every time I needed info on some obscure gear and sure enough, there was a review there. Now there is nothing and you can barely navigate that {censored}. Way to {censored} up with decades of great, free information.

That pissed me off as well!!! :mad:

• Members

Hi everyone,
Skaught from Musician's Friend here. I'm sorry to hear about the issues people are experiencing with the HC site. We absolutely care and I'll make sure your feedback gets to the right people. If anyone wishes to share more feedback about the problems, please email me at forums@musiciansfriend.com. Thanks for your time!

Skaught | Musician's Friend | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

• Members

Hi everyone,

Skaught from Musician's Friend here. I'm sorry to hear about the issues people are experiencing with the HC site. We absolutely care and I'll make sure your feedback gets to the right people. If anyone wishes to share more feedback about the problems, please email me at
. Thanks for your time!

Skaught |
|
|
|

Well, I'll be porcupine scrogged. Billy, does your pimp hand know no bounds? No limitations?

• Members

Billy-pWned.........:cop::cop::cop:

Hi everyone,

Skaught from Musician's Friend here. I'm sorry to hear about the issues people are experiencing with the HC site. We absolutely care and I'll make sure your feedback gets to the right people. If anyone wishes to share more feedback about the problems, please email me at
forums@musiciansfriend.com
. Thanks for your time!

Skaught |
Musician's Friend
|
Facebook
|
Twitter
|
YouTube

• Members

Hi everyone,

. Thanks for your time!

Skaught |
|
|

|

Thank you. Email sent.

• Members

Squeaky wheel = gets grease. Thanks, guys.

I am not part of MF, I am an independent contractor who serves as Editor in Chief, so I cannot speak for them. But, I can speak for me.

2.0 was a disaster (and I must say I sounded plenty of warning bells, but...). Period. I have very strong opinions about this that I'd rather not share in public, but what I can say with certainty is that it was done with nothing but the best of intentions on MF's part. The fact that they were willing to basically throw a huge investment out the window and return to vBulletin was a triumph of caring about the community over ego and politics, and I give them major props for that.

But, what deserves even more props is the loyalty and patience of this community. It's only because of you that we're still here. This community is like those stories of a husband and wife where some terrible tragedy befalls one of them, but the spouse remains loyal and supportive rather than just splitting and saying "see ya later," then doggedly nurses the partner back to health. I cannot overstate how deeply I appreciate this wild, crazy, and much more often than not, extremely bright and decent community. It's what keeps me going.

That's the present. As to the future, there are new people in place at MF who recognize that Harmony Central is something special and unique. Financial considerations aren't really at play here, or we would have been closed down after the 2.0 debacle. We are, as one person from the previous administration called us, a "rounding error" in terms of finances. But, we are fortunate that the people with whom we work realize that some things have value that goes beyond something that shows up in a spreadsheet.

I am optimistic that as the dust settles, attention will be given to Harmony Central that it has not received in the past. Of course, anything is subject to change without notice, but in the last couple months I've been asked more questions about the site, and had more opinions solicited about where it should go, then in the last couple years. Make no mistake, the previous regime at MF had truly good, sincere, intelligent people but the whole 2.0 experience was devastating. The current crew is ready to move beyond that.

I don't want to overpromise, or underdeliver. All I say is my personal opinion. But, the one thing I CAN promise is that I will do everything I can to make sure my optimism is justified.

• Members

Squeaky wheel = gets grease. Thanks, guys.

I am not part of MF, I am an independent contractor who serves as Editor in Chief, so I cannot speak for them. But, I can speak for me.

2.0 was a disaster (and I must say I sounded plenty of warning bells, but...). Period. I have very strong opinions about this that I'd rather not share in public, but what I can say with certainty is that it was done with nothing but the best of intentions on MF's part. The fact that they were willing to basically throw a huge investment out the window and return to vBulletin was a triumph of caring about the community over ego and politics, and I give them
major
props for that.

But, what deserves even more props is the loyalty and patience of this community. It's
only
because of you that we're still here. This community is like those stories of a husband and wife where some terrible tragedy befalls one of them, but the spouse remains loyal and supportive rather than just splitting and saying "see ya later," then doggedly nurses the partner back to health. I cannot overstate how deeply I appreciate this wild, crazy, and much more often than not, extremely bright and decent community. It's what keeps me going.

That's the present. As to the future, there are new people in place at MF who recognize that Harmony Central is something special and unique. Financial considerations aren't really at play here, or we would have been closed down after the 2.0 debacle. We are, as one person from the previous administration called us, a "rounding error" in terms of finances. But, we are fortunate that the people with whom we work realize that some things have value that goes beyond something that shows up in a spreadsheet.

I am optimistic that as the dust settles, attention will be given to Harmony Central that it has not received in the past. Of course, anything is subject to change without notice, but in the last couple months I've been asked more questions about the site, and had more opinions solicited about where it should go, then in the last couple years. Make no mistake, the previous regime at MF had truly good, sincere, intelligent people but the whole 2.0 experience was devastating. The current crew is ready to move beyond that.

I don't want to overpromise, or underdeliver. All I say is my personal opinion. But, the one thing I CAN promise is that I will do everything I can to make sure my optimism is justified.

I just typed a long answer to your post, hit "reply" and got a blank page. Hit the back button and it was all gone. :facepalm:

Not going to type all over again. I am just going to say the site was good before, it's a classic case of fixing what is not broken, then breaking it. Just get it to the point where it works. It doesn't need to "go" anywhere. It just needs to work.

• Members
I just typed a long answer to your post, hit "reply" and got a blank page. Hit the back button and it was all gone.
:facepalm:

This happens quite a bit. Every time I make a fairly long post, I always, and I mean ALWAYS Ctrl+C the text in case it happens, so I can Ctrl+V when it does.

• Members
I am just going to say the site was good before, it's classic case of fixing what is not broken, then breaking it.

Well put. This site used to work fine before the HC2.0 disaster. Since then it's gone down the drain in reliability, speed, browser compatibility and overall pretty much everything web design -related. As far as I know the upgrade was supposed to fix things, I didn't see it happening, more likely it just broke several things more.

TGP runs the old software this site used to run, works just fine. Every forum that upgraded into using the same software this one does has become an unreliable, uncompatible piece of crap. For HCAF's defense I must say that at least I can still log in to this one without the browser crashing, which is something that happens on several other sites using this software. I'm not sure if that's a compliment, though.

Here's just a small scratch of quirks that appeared after the HC2.0 failure and the upgrade to new software...
hcf.jpg

• Members

Well put. This site used to work fine before the HC2.0 disaster.

For the record, I do have to say that was an illusion. It indeed WAS working fine, but the continued increase in traffic was causing it to break in ways where it was slowly but surely becoming impossible to fix. Of course, 2.0 "solved" that problem by killing our traffic :mad:

As to the comment that it doesn't need to "go" anywhere, I would amend that to say it DOES need to go in a direction where it doesn't just work for the present, but has the capacity to absorb further increases in traffic and growth. Because when it does work traffic increases, and we'd better be prepared.

And yes, I too Ctrl-C long replies. I've lost too many...

• Members
Well put. This site used to work fine before the HC2.0 disaster. Since then it's gone down the drain in reliability, speed, browser compatibility and overall pretty much everything web design -related. As far as I know the upgrade was supposed to fix things, I didn't see it happening, more likely it just broke several things more.

TGP runs the old software this site used to run, works just fine. Every forum that upgraded into using the same software this one does has become an unreliable, uncompatible piece of crap. For HCAF's defense I must say that at least I can still log in to this one without the browser crashing, which is something that happens on several other sites using this software. I'm not sure if that's a compliment, though.

Here's just a small scratch of quirks that appeared after the HC2.0 failure and the upgrade to new software...

hcf.jpg

If it's true that TGP runs the same software as this place I might have an answer that might help.

TGP never lets a thread go longer than 100 pages* cuz it messes up the software.

We have some monsterously long threads here....

*or 1,00o replies or something like that - I can't remember.

• Members

This happens quite a bit. Every time I make a fairly long post, I always, and I mean ALWAYS Ctrl+C the text in case it happens, so I can Ctrl+V when it does.

anything over a paragraph, this has become my general rule

:(

Archived