People still using WGS speakers around here?

Mind Riot

• Members

I was actually thinking of posting a similar thread. I spotted a Mesa cab with Veteran 30s and wanted to know how they compare to the real Vintage 30s? anyone, bueller?

They dont really. They sound like unbroken in v30s more than anything as that mid spike is the v30 and they tempered it. Honestly the speaker it reminds me the most of is the 70/80.

I love my Green Berets and et65 though, but god are their shipping prices high, i was quoted almost 40 bucks for a single speaker up to the northwest.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

got ET65s and Green Berets in an X pattern in a Randall XL cab. Sounds scrumptious.

Tasty. I like my XLT100 cab but sometimes I don't think the mids are clear enough... I have to experiment with some things. Are the Green Berets their version of greenbacks, I assume?

• Members

I've got a Retro 30 and 2 Veteran 30s. I like 'em and the Veteran 30 really tamed the shrillness that the Vyper 30 head has. I'm about to order a couple of Green Berets to pop in my Carvin 4x12. I'm also thinking about ditching the Vintage 30s in my Carvin 2x12 for an ET-65/Retro 30 setup.

• Members

Nice man. How do you like that Jet City cab? I'm guessing the retro 30 will blow away the stock driver..?

It's a $130 cab, I'm not going to say it's as good as anything out there, but it's built solid. Plywood, no particle board, solidly braced inside, nice and cleanly made.

Thus far I've replaced the stock driver with an Eminence Swamp Thang that I absolutely hated, traded that for a WGS British Lead 80 that's nicer but just too dark for my tastes (that one's for sale, if anyone's interested). I actually prefer the stock driver over either of those. I'm hoping the Retro 30 will strike my fancy but if it doesn't I'm just going to return it and stick with the stock Eminence. It's really not a bad speaker at all. :thu:

• Members

WGS is almost too good. It went like this:

1. people bought them, installed them, and the honeymoon ensued.

2. Honeymoon faded away so gradually because the speakers are awesome.

3. Nobody ever switched them out because they sounded too good.

4. They became standard equipment that everybody keeps using.

I've been using a quad of ET65's for about 2 years. They are the perfect speakers for fuzz boxes due to their dark high end, broad mids, and huge bass. fantastic. I haven't even considered changing them. :idk:

• Members

WGS is almost too good. It went like this:

1. people bought them, installed them, and the honeymoon ensued.

2. Honeymoon faded away so gradually because the speakers are awesome.

3. Nobody ever switched them out because they sounded too good.

4. They became standard equipment that everybody keeps using.

I've been using a quad of ET65's for about 2 years. They are the perfect speakers for fuzz boxes due to their dark high end, broad mids, and huge bass. fantastic. I haven't even considered changing them.
:idk:

I only wish I had bought more when they were $20 each.

• Members

say this isnt true, 20 DOLLARS!!!!

holy cow

When they first came out they had an introductory limited time offer of $20 each plus shipping for the Veteran 30's. It generated quite a buzz and put them on the map on the guitar boards after people jumped on them and reported the quality was good.

• Members

Are the Green Berets their version of greenbacks

I've owned a pair of ET65 for a bit and lately bought a Green Beret, Vet-30 and Retro-30. I think they're decent but I'm not as enamored.

The Green Beret's basic tone is not quite as Greenbacky as I thought it might be.

I have several different vintage Greenbacks from early eighties to some that came in a Cobra Cab.

Greenback and Green Beret Comparison

Greenback and ET65 Comparison

• Members

When they first came out they had an introductory limited time offer of $20 each plus shipping for the Veteran 30's. It generated quite a buzz and put them on the map on the guitar boards after people jumped on them and reported the quality was good.

Yeah, I got 2 Vet30s and 4 Lead 80s for like $150. It was a hell of a steal.

• Members

say this isnt true, 20 DOLLARS!!!!

holy cow

Yep, i got 2 british leads, aka cl80 clones, and 2 vet 30s at that price. One of the British leads ended up failing on me and WGS sent me a replacement right away. I ended up getting rid of them all but still a great deal for the $160-ish shipped(yep the shipping prices where high even then) kinda wish they had left these speakers at a bit cheaper of a price and sold the newer ones at whatever.

Interesting... I'm super tempted to go for the cab. For $350, it's a Mesa traditional with I believe, veteran 30s, because the ad says "WGS vintage 30 copies." I figure if I don't like them very much I could sell the speakers and I've got myself a killer cab and could try some Eminences or something.

They're still decent speakers, they just arent v30s,but the marketing sounds better if you say Sounds like a celestion vintage 30! rather than Sounds closest to a celestion 70/80!.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I've been checking them out and ordered one tonight, but in my reading of reviews and such they're all from a couple three years ago.

Did the honeymoon period pass and now folks don't use them anymore? There was lots of glowing praise, but like I said it was not terribly recent. Flavor of the month kind of deal?

I know they're not nearly as tough a competitor price wise as they used to be, with the prices going up and shipping going through the roof (mine came out to about $23 for UPS ground).

I ended up picking a Retro 30 for my application in a 1x12 cab. Anybody have any experiences with this model?

Thanks for your time.
:wave:

Honeymoon phase over, how are they? Any sound clips?

• Members

To be honest with you, I dont think you'll find a "bad" review of these speakers at all. My Marshall 1960AV loaded with green berets was exactly as it was supposed to be, badass!!!!

I bought mine when they were 20 bucks a piece, so I've had em a long time, still going strong, taking all kinds of abuse from the Splawn Quick Rod, and never missin a beat.

• Members

Honeymoon phase over, how are they? Any sound clips?

No clips at present, but it's loosened up nicely, seems to have a bit more low end. The overall sound is very detailed, and I like it a lot.

It's still not a very bassy speaker, but it has other strengths, including decent cleans. It's a keeper. :thu:

Archived