The official HCAF NHL playoffs thread...

Zeppelin Rules

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Jeez, my original thoughts on these Playoffs and the goalies is looking pretty accurate.. Quick and Smith have no doubt added that extra level that only a top goalie can add.. Then you still got Lundqvist in New York, still got Brodeur.... This year, the"defense wins championships" is certainly living up to it's Billing so far.

Kinda rooting for Sutter and the Kings.. He just seems like he makes all his decisions by his gut.. He doesn't overthink it.. He coaches, and played, with instinct and I can appreciate that

• Members

Jeez, my original thoughts on these Playoffs and the goalies is looking pretty accurate.. Quick and Smith have no doubt added that extra level that only a top goalie can add.. Then you still got Lundqvist in New York, still got Brodeur.... This year, the"defense wins championships" is certainly living up to it's Billing so far.

Kinda rooting for Sutter and the Kings.. He just seems like he makes all his decisions by his gut.. He doesn't overthink it.. He coaches, and played, with instinct and I can appreciate that

PHX and LA split the regular season but LA scares the hell outta me right now as a Coyotes fan! I still think we can beat em but it's gonna go 7 games! So much for the Pacific Division being weak!

• Members

No Giroux for the Flyers tonight, not that it's made a difference anyway :cry::lol:

It's been frustrating. For the last 2 decades, goaltending has been the biggest problem for the Flyers. Now, it's something else. Bryz isn't shutdown, but he's getting 40 shots thrown at him and letting in 2 or 3, there aren't many goaltenders in the playoffs that can win with that consistently going on, maybe a couple, but not all of them. Brodeur is about to win this series, and he's let in a couple/few goals a game. Bryz has been the only player keeping the Flyers in every game.

Edit: NJ Devils shots per game at Bryz:

Game 1 - 36

Game 2 - 20

Game 3 - 31

Game 4 - 43

• Members

I can't believe they suspended Giroux for that hit. he didn't get his elbow up, feet didn't leave the ice, these suspensions are becoming a complete joke. I really don't want to see New York get past the Caps, I can't stand Tortorella and Lundquist, what a pair of douchebags. I'm rooting for my buddy Gilbert Brule and the Coyotes, the Kings need to be brought back down to earth.

• Members

I can't believe they suspended Giroux for that hit. he didn't get his elbow up, feet didn't leave the ice, these suspensions are becoming a complete joke. I really don't want to see New York get past the Caps, I can't stand Tortorella and Lundquist, what a pair of douchebags. I'm rooting for my buddy Gilbert Brule and the Coyotes, the Kings need to be brought back down to earth.

I think they had to suspend him because intentiOnal or not, he basically hit the head and nothing else.

• Members

I haven't followed the NHL as closely in the last few years but I saw that hit this morning on espn, wtf has the NHL gone totally soft these days?

• Members

I think they had to suspend him because intentiOnal or not, he basically hit the head and nothing else.

Well that's the thing.. It was intentional.. Just a few seconds earlier he was all pissy he didn't get a call in his favor and he's bakring at the ref, then as he's skating back into the play he clearly is trying to get back at someone and he made the hit.. One, it was a late hit, and 2. There really was no reason he couldn't have gone shoulder to shoulder. Sometimes when trying to make a bigger hit than necessary cause you're pissed, you tend to hit up high like that.. I think for what the league is trying to do, it was one of the hits that I honestly think could have been avoided..

• Members
No Giroux for the Flyers tonight, not that it's made a difference anyway
:cry::lol:

It's been frustrating. For the last 2 decades, goaltending has been the biggest problem for the Flyers. Now, it's something else. Bryz isn't shutdown, but he's getting 40 shots thrown at him and letting in 2 or 3, there aren't many goaltenders in the playoffs that can win with that consistently going on, maybe a couple, but not all of them. Brodeur is about to win this series, and he's let in a couple/few goals a game. Bryz has been the only player keeping the Flyers in every game.

Edit: NJ Devils shots per game at Bryz:

Game 1 - 36

Game 2 - 20

Game 3 - 31

Game 4 - 43

Have to sorta disagree - Bryzgalov is the problem. It's not just a matter of how many you stop (or don't), it also matters which ones, if you let any bad ones in, etc. In this case, he seemed to be letting them in at the wrong time, plus softies take out a team at the knees, and he has been good for at least one of those a game. In the end, it all boils down to whether or not the team has confidence in their goalie, and in this case, they did not, and that MASSIVELY affects how the rest of the team plays. I saw it with the flyers all series long.

Now you might way 'well what about against pittsburgh', but that was a different scenario. Specifically, they DID have confidence in Bryz then - not that he was actually GOOD, but that he was better than the other team's goalie. As a result, they played differently. However, in this series, he is against Broduer, and you know HE is not going to let in any softies. So the confidence they had in Bryz in the first series disappeared. It's all relative to who they are up against.

I make this point often, as a player, and most importantly as a coach of hockey, that goaltending affects THE WHOLE TEAM. Hockey is all about anticipation and getting to the puck first, and if you are hesitating because you lack confidence in your goaltending, your WHOLE GAME will go to {censored}. Seen it time and time again. Bad goaltending makes fast players slow, smart players dumb, tough players soft, solid defense leaky, powerful offence anemic. Good goaltending does the opposite - it turns third liners into first liners, turns plumbers into scorers, and journeymen into norris candidates. It affects EVERYTHING.

I don't know what it is about Philly.... how many cups would they have won over the years if they had anything approaching decent goaltending??? Philly appears to be where good goalies go to die!

• Members

Agree with that.. Soft goals are really a momentum killer..

I played defense during my competitive hockey years.. And the worst feeling iswhen you play good "D" on say a 1 on 1 and force the guy wide and his low quality Wrister finds the back of the net.. OR in a tight game and a softie gets let in.. He could play phenomenal the rest of the game and those soft ones are the ones I remember

• Members

Agree with that.. Soft goals are really a momentum killer..

I played defense during my competitive hockey years.. And the worst feeling iswhen you play good "D" on say a 1 on 1 and force the guy wide and his low quality Wrister finds the back of the net.. OR in a tight game and a softie gets let in.. He could play phenomenal the rest of the game and those soft ones are the ones I remember

• Members

How do you guys feel about the amount of shot blocking that goes on these days? Seems to me that its a major contributor to how low-scoreing these playoffs have been.

The Caps have really bought into this -- they're blocking shots at a ridiculous rate now,.....they've never done that before. All their games have been low scoring and close -- the defense and shot blocking have been the key.

As long as they keep winning I have no problem with it. Game 7 Saturday baby!

• Members

LA is looking good..

And does Mike Smith always make an "arms in the air" gesture after every goal.? He always looks like he's calling out his D for a screen or because they accidently deflected it.. Seriously, he is a bitch.. And he comes across as one in interviews as well..

I remember playing with a goalie who did that.. He would blame the D in some way on near every goal.. Bad for Morale after awhile..

Archived