The official HCAF NHL playoffs thread...

Zeppelin Rules

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah the Kings are RIDICULOUS this year. AND nice job to Slovakia knocking out Canada at the World Championships in the quarter finals.

Boooooooo :rageface:

The reason we always lose to the European players is that the international rinks are larger than NHL ones. The non-nhl European players are at an advantage because they're more used to it.

You see a lot of KHL players having trouble adjusting when they come to play in North America.

The fact that a lot of top talent is still in the playoffs doesn't help either

• Members

I don't know where the Kings came from, but holy {censored} are they ever playing well right now. I know other teams have gone 11-1 in the playoffs before, but I don't think I've never seen a team look this dominant. Watching them, I just don't know how they can lose. They seem to win every single battle for the puck and outwork other teams by a ridiculous margin.

• Members

I don't know where the Kings came from, but holy {censored} are they ever playing well right now. I know other teams have gone 11-1 in the playoffs before, but I don't think I've never seen a team look this dominant. Watching them, I just don't know how they can lose. They seem to win every single battle for the puck and outwork other teams by a ridiculous margin.

I've seen this. 92 Hawks.. 11 straight wins on their way to the finals. Looked unbeatable, then Lemieux. Hawks didn't win again.... *Sniffle*

• Members

I had them as a bit of a dark horse all year. Besides Quick, that entire team underperformed all season long. Great goaltending by itself can take you far (see Edmonton in '05, Calgary in '04 for the most recent examples). The Kings have all the pieces there for a championship team - especially if Carter and Richards get going like they were in Philly.

• Members

I had them as a bit of a dark horse all year. Besides Quick, that entire team underperformed all season long. Great goaltending by itself can take you far (see Edmonton in '05, Calgary in '04 for the most recent examples). The Kings have all the pieces there for a championship team - especially if Carter and Richards get going like they were in Philly.

Quick hasn't had to do anything except against Vancouver, they were the only team that put up any offense. I don't think a team has ever steamrolled all the way to the cup, their success might be their undoing. the odds are against them in a way because we've seen this overwhelming success up the final round backfire. they could be the team to change that though because they look unstoppable. they're going to possibly have a long layover depending on how the eastern final goes, that could kill their momentum, or not.

pretty {censored}ing boring hockey though

• Members

Quick hasn't had to do anything except against Vancouver, they were the only team that put up any offense. I don't think a team has ever steamrolled all the way to the cup, their success might be their undoing. the odds are against them in a way because we've seen this overwhelming success up the final round backfire. they could be the team to change that though because they look unstoppable. they're going to possibly have a long layover depending on how the eastern final goes, that could kill their momentum, or not.

pretty {censored}ing boring hockey though

Spoken like a true Canucks fan :)

• Members

Boooooooo :rageface:

The reason we always lose to the European players is that the international rinks are larger than NHL ones. The non-nhl European players are at an advantage because they're more used to it.

You see a lot of KHL players having trouble adjusting when they come to play in North America.

The fact that a lot of top talent is still in the playoffs doesn't help either

Well, yeah, but .......

.... the reason we lose to europeans is because they are GOOD. Period.

Hockey is such a good game that people all over the world practice it until they get good. The worlds at any level is like the NHL in that on any given night most anyone can win. There is parity. It's good for the game. and doesn't diminish Canada, the US, or what we've done for the game.

anyway, just want to point out good players come from everywhere.

I still like Canadian players best of course, but gotta give the others credit.

• Members

Well, yeah, but .......

.... the reason we lose to europeans is because they are GOOD. Period.

Hockey is such a good game that people all over the world practice it until they get good. The worlds at any level is like the NHL in that on any given night most anyone can win. There is parity. It's good for the game. and doesn't diminish Canada, the US, or what we've done for the game.

anyway, just want to point out good players come from everywhere.

I still like Canadian players best of course, but gotta give the others credit.

Having said all that, Canada was done in by ..... 'puck luck'. Which is what I call officiating these days because it is kinda like rolling the dice - you never know whats going to come up. Unfortunately for Canada, it came up snake eyes, and a couple of questionable calls which THEY DID NOT RESPOND WELL TO and they end up losing a game they should have won. That's the way it goes, it could happen to anyone, and that particular (officiating) dice has rolled in our favour plenty in the past.

Not that we would have beaten the russians had we won.

Personally, I like the Finns. They play like Canadians.

• Members

I admit that I kind of figured the first round was so captivating, it was inevitable that it would tail off.. NY/NJ is pretty good.. LA is decent to watch.. And I guess I'm rooting for them.. I think, for my interest LA/NJ would be a good final and they are somewhat similar teams as far as character.. Both captains are young and not exactly superstars, but they lead their teams well.. They play very solid fundamental hockey.. I think Quick would have the advantage over Brodeur at this point, but Brodeur is still really good and playing great hockey.. Kovalchuck is truly a fun sniper to watch.Some of his snipes have a legitimate "wow" factor. Kopitar is the closest LA has to True goal scorer.. Either way, I think that would be a long hard fought good hockey series..

But New York could still win it all.. They seem inconsistent and when I watch their game, I find to many holes and Gaborik is very inconsistent for a 40 goal scorer.. But he'd prolly get to the finals and score 8 goals.. But I'm hoping they lose.

• Members

Rangers looked awful, Lundvuist was brutal, so was Brodeur. I think the Devils are going to take it, gonna be sweet seeing Torts go down in flames (hopefully).

I really don't like the Kings at all, never liked Sutter and Brown has become a modern day Claude Lemieux, Doughty=biggest crybaby I've ever seen in the NHL.

• Members

Although that was probably a pretty crushing loss for NY, they seemed to have woken up and remembered how to play hockey. Maybe that'll jump start them in the next game. That and that they'll be playing for their lives'.

I still think they're going to take it in 7.

Whoever gets through though, LA is going to win. They're just on an absolute tear and whomever they face is going to be tired from all the long series's they've played in.

Archived