The official HCAF NHL playoffs thread...

Zeppelin Rules

• Members

Philly has no cap space though. I don't know the details of Philly's contracts, but if those young guys contracts are up & they want a big raise that could be a problem. That's what happened to the Blackhawks, they had to dump half the team after the cup victory. "Awesome, we have tons of young talent & should be kick ass for years. Oh crap, we have to dump them all because we can't pay them."

I was wondering what happened there, they won the cup, and didn't they jettison their goaltender after that? I couldn't believe it.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Philly has no cap space though. I don't know the details of Philly's contracts, but if those young guys contracts are up & they want a big raise that could be a problem. That's what happened to the Blackhawks, they had to dump half the team after the cup victory. "Awesome, we have tons of young talent & should be kick ass for years. Oh crap, we have to dump them all because we can't pay them."

That's just a fact of life with the new salary cap rules. Most teams run fairly close to the cap to start with, but once your team wins the cup everybody wants/gets raises so you have to rebuild. Even if Nashville won (they're 12M under the cap right now), the difference would probably be enough for them to have to blow up the team (Suter is probably gone anyways, maybe Weber too).

• Members

A few guys (like jvr) are signed to cap friendly contracts. Briere's drops significantly from around 7 to 3 either next year or the year after. Pronger will get stashed on long term IR, Kubina and probably Carle will be out. The Flyers will free up close to probably 10 M next year, enough for some extensions and either Weber or Suter from NSH. If there's one thing I've learned it's that Homer can work the cap.

• Members

A few guys (like jvr) are signed to cap friendly contracts. Briere's drops significantly from around 7 to 3 either next year or the year after. Pronger will get stashed on long term IR, Kubina and probably Carle will be out.
The Flyers will free up close to probably 10 M next year, enough for some extensions and either Weber or Suter from NSH
. If there's one thing I've learned it's that Homer can work the cap.

I would be just fine with that, since Pronger is all but done, and we have some promising young defensemen.

• Members

The devils just can't seem to buy a goal!

they've found a way, 3-1 with 5:00 to go. Phillys coverage down low is soft, Bryzgalov was slow across the crease as well. Philly has way better offense they're weakness is the D and goaltending.

• Members

they've found a way, 3-1 with 5:00 to go. Phillys coverage down low is soft, Bryzgalov was slow across the crease as well. Philly has way better offense they're weakness is the D and goaltending.

Their offense certainly didn't get done tonight. 2 shots in the 3rd period?

• Members

Definitely not a Capitals fan, but I didn't see a lot of people who thought they could knock off the Rangers. They may have lost in that epic OT but still have a good shot at advancing. I don't think the East is winning this year anyway. It would be kinda funny to see the Kings bury the Flyers in the final.

• Members

Definitely
not
a Capitals fan, but I didn't see a lot of people who thought they could knock off the Rangers. They may have lost in that epic OT but still have a good shot at advancing. I don't think the East is winning this year anyway. It would be kinda funny to see the Kings bury the Flyers in the final.

I don't think Philly is going to make it to the final, especially with how little offense they've managed against NJ. if they manage to beat NJ I think they'll go down to the rangers in 6

Archived