so when the legends are gone...

guitarbilly74

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, we have a younger generation, like 'em or hate 'em.

Jack White, John Mayer, and of course the "virtuoso" players (timmons, guthrie, etc) but the era of the true Rock Legend as we know it is currently a thing of the past

• Members

Joe Bonamassa is a great player, but I'm not sure he'll ever reach 'Jimmy Page' status just because of how the music scene is today. Jack White is a great player too.

edit: so basically what Dolf said.

• Members

Crazy, I was thinking about this today. I think their absence will spawn a new generation of greats. People will gain a new appreciation for them once the old ones are all gone.
Hopefully.

indeed

• Members

Well, we have a younger generation, like 'em or hate 'em.

Jack White, John Mayer, and of course the "virtuoso" players (timmons, guthrie, etc) but the era of the true Rock Legend
as we know it
is currently a thing of the past

I like Mayer's playing and I respect White's creativity, but do you think they're carrying the torch as far as keeping the guitar popular with the new generations?

• Members

I like Mayer's playing and I respect White's creativity, but do you think they're carrying the torch as far as keeping the guitar popular with the new generations?

In the same way? Probably not.

But {censored}, man The White Stripes couldn't have come along at a more necessary time for guitar-based ROCK to need a chance to get back into the fold of foreground music. And how many college douches do you think learned "Your body is a wonderland" on guitar just to get laid? At least a few of them had to continue to pursue the instrument, or continue to listen to Mayer's catalogue and realize there's a lot more to playing than open-strumming an acoustic.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling these guys the New Millennium Guitar Messiahs or anything, but it's about all we've got.

• Members

In another 3 years there will be good guitar plugins.

Just like 'drums like bonham' or 'early 80's keyboards' plugins next will be 'hammet mega wah solo' and 'djenty chug rythm' plugins and it's all be edited so all you need to do is sample your singer from a 1950's vinyl, autotune it and then finally your completely 'in the box;!!!!!

• Members

None of these new guys have a playing with any real personality, IMO. There's some technically good players out there, but none that have that certain something. I was never a big EVH fan, but he had an attitude when he played. Zakk Wylde IMO wants to be John Sykes in the worst way, but they both had an attitude. Vai has an attitude when he plays. Al Pitrelli has an attitude when he plays. Blackmore has it. SRV had that attitude too. Yngwie even had it when he wasn't wanking (basically about 5% of the time). Randy Rhodes had that attitude too.

None of these new guys are really that inspiring. Jeff Loomis is technically good. Synister (I may have spelled it wrong) Gates is technically good. Coheed is technically good, but I haven't heard that real fire and passion for the guitar in years.

Needless to say, rock guitar is at a real low point these days. It's already happening. I just hope somebody lights a fire under somebody's ass soon.

(Pardon the half bottle of vodka I've already drank)

• Members

now I'm gettin all depressed again..
:(

{censored} music today.

{censored}, dude, look at the guy in your avatar. I bet 3/4 of the people on here can't even name him and he is HANDS DOWN my favorite performance from the original Woodstock recordings. I mean, sure, drugged out of his skull, but {censored}, that was some straight-up shake your ass {censored}ing boogie rock.

• Members

{censored}, dude, look at the guy in your avatar. I bet 3/4 of the people on here can't even name him and he is HANDS DOWN my favorite performance from the original Woodstock recordings. I mean, sure, drugged out of his skull, but {censored}, that was some straight-up shake your ass {censored}ing boogie rock.

your place or mine?

• Members

There are no replacements. There are no guitar heroes, and there are no more rock superstars. Bands like Zeppelin, The Who, AC/DC, etc. are the last of a dying breed. Sure there are stars, and there are guys who play guitar in famous bands, but they will never achieve the near legendary status that was once bestowed upon their forefathers by millions of screaming fans. It truly is a sad state of affairs.

Archived