so when the legends are gone...

guitarbilly74

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I dunno, I mean I think with Mylde sobering up he could still put out some great stuff before he kicks it. I think Broederick is an excellent player. Just too bad he's in MegaMave :lol:.

Bonamassa is a fkn animal. I love listening to that guy. Brad Paisley released a guitar-oriented album not too far back that kicks most "rockers" asses. I know he overdoes the wah/meedles a lot but taking into account his songwriting too, Mrak T. is pretty awesome. I'd swap places with him. :)

It's not everyone's style of music but I think Alexi (and Roope) are badass too.

The list could go on...?? :idk:

• Members

There is nothing more obnoxious than old guys crying about how "there is no good music anymore." No, you're just closed minded and want everything to sound like it's {censored}ing 1975. Get the {censored} out, there are tons of good bands out right now, with great guitar playing AND songwriting.

the point of this thread

----------------------

-----------------------

your head

• Members

It's possible that for guitar music to advance, guitarists need to stop daydreaming about the glory days of yesteryear and attempt something new. I don't know that it would have any effect, but a lot of guitarists I know, myself included, are pretty conservative when it comes to experimenting.

• Members

who's going to replace them?

I mean guys like Page, Gilmour or even a younger generation like EVH, ZW, Satch Vai etc... when they're all gone, what happens to rock guitar? It dies out? Fades away? Already happening?

Rock music dies and then you all have to listen to Skrillex.

I think theres plenty of new guitar legends about, theres more bands to choose from but guys like Adam D, Tom Delonge, Herman Li, Billy Joe Armstrong, Alexi, Orianthi, Satchel, will carry the torch to the next generation. They may not be revolutionaries, but they are people that can define a genre and inspire people to play.

I didnt get into guitar through guys like Clapton, Page, Gilmour etc, i came in through Pete Koller, Fletcher Dragge, Jon Nolan etc, although many of you guys probably wont see them as legends, to me and people around my scene these guys are the torch bearers.

• Members

Well, we have a younger generation, like 'em or hate 'em.

Jack White, John Mayer, and of course the "virtuoso" players (timmons, guthrie, etc) but the era of the true Rock Legend
as we know it
is currently a thing of the past

If Jack White or John Mayer reach legendary status its only because some are desperate for heroes, ESPECIALLY Mayer, yeesh...

There are plenty carrying the torch but I dont see anyone in the current crop who will be considered legendary...

• Members

I dont get the Mayer thing. He's got some cool fiddles & a decent tone, but what I've heard, it's just typical Stevie Ray Vaughnabe "yuppie blues" aimed at females. I dont hear anything special about his playing.

you think Mylde is bad talking about Dime?? listen to Meh-yer talk about SRV... jeebus.

• Members

There are LOTS of great players, just like you say, but are any of them "legendary" status, are any of them re-writing the rules and defining an entire decade or generation of guitarists, (tone AND playing) say like EVH did? When you saw Hendrix perform or listened to Eruption for the first and 30th time, it was like you saw an alien, your jaw was on the floor, and didn't quite know how to describe it. It was like nothing you'd ever seen or heard before.

If someone is doing that now, please tell me who he/she is.

This, great response that you saved me the trouble of writing.

• Members

Rock music dies and then you all have to listen to Skrillex.

I think theres plenty of new guitar legends about, theres more bands to choose from but guys like Adam D, Tom Delonge, Herman Li, Billy Joe Armstrong, Alexi, Orianthi, Satchel, will carry the torch to the next generation. They may not be revolutionaries, but they are people that can define a genre and inspire people to play.

I didnt get into guitar through guys like Clapton, Page, Gilmour etc, i came in through Pete Koller, Fletcher Dragge, Jon Nolan etc, although many of you guys probably wont see them as legends, to me and people around my scene these guys are the torch bearers.

This.

I got into guitar because of Metallica/CoB/In Flames. Bands like Coheed & Cambria have kept me playing.

A lot of the 'legends' have had next to no influence on my playing (maybe on the generation before me). Hell, I don't even have solos in my music. I try to put more of an emphasis on songwriting these days.

• Members

you think Mylde is bad talking about Dime?? listen to Meh-yer talk about SRV... jeebus.

Thats funny.

"Ya know..Brother...I was friends with Dime, and all..."

*squeel*

I shamefully admit, I was listening to Sakk Mylde's version of "Heart Of Gold" the otherday... I DO love that studio tone he had going on that.

A shame. Dude's a killer player when he wants to be, and has had some tough as nails tones. Wish he'd lose the cartoon persona & the "weedly squeel" & get back at what he's good at.

• Members

Thats funny.

"Ya know..Brother...I was friends with Dime, and all..."

*squeel*

I shamefully admit, I was listening to Sakk Mylde's version of "Heart Of Gold" the otherday... I
DO
love that studio tone he had going on that.

A shame. Dude's a killer player when he wants to be, and has had some tough as nails tones. Wish he'd lose the cartoon persona & the "weedly squeel" & get back at what he's good at.

{censored}ing 1100% to all this brah :(

i think he still has a lot left to give to the living legend guitar echelon he's part of. did you see that Ozzy 30 Years video? The shots of him playing both C-Train and Crowley, just him on his couch, pretty fukkin' intense man. :rawk:

• Members

go to a Paisley concert and then tell me that people, including young gorgeous females, have no interest in great guitar playing.

+1 for Paisley... Great player and attitude.

Mayer is good too but has a well, Meh... attitude

(except when it comes to bedding Starlets... need more pics and less blab!)

• Members

it will if we burn everyone who listens to it
:mad:

Jazz took a similar course when rock & roll came onto the scene. Jazz still exists today for those who care, and it's quite possible that guitar-driven rock music is going to or has already become a niche for those who really love it. That's just how music evolves though. And the reactions are always the same.

• Members
{censored}ing 1100% to all this brah
:(
i think he still has a lot left to give to the living legend guitar echelon he's part of. did you see that Ozzy 30 Years video? The shots of him playing both C-Train and Crowley, just him on his couch, pretty fukkin' intense man.
:rawk:

Yeah. Alot of people in the early days pegged him as a RR Phanboi. He was, but there were elements of his own things that he'd do in Randy's stuff (that you can tell he wasnt intentionally trying to change up..he was just playing them how he knew how to) that were great. You could also hear some Trower-ish / Hendrix-like things he'd throw in stuff. Thats what got me to liking him back then. Just a simple Trower lick thrown into something that was "Metal" was to my ears something I liked . He was doing a little of something I'd been trying to figure out how to throw into "heavy" music, without sounding "dated" or cheesey. Over the years, he lost alot of that. As much as I laugh at him these days, I still crank "a million miles away" when it comes on. Yeah, alot of "wankery" in it, but still a cool jam, and it has that "my own spin on old styles thing" goin' on to it (if that makes sense)

• Members

Jazz took a similar course when rock & roll came onto the scene. Jazz still exists today for those who care, and it's quite possible that guitar-driven rock music is going to or has already become a niche for those who really love it. That's just how music evolves though. And the reactions are always the same.

I tend to agree. But what's replacing it?

Rap is not exactly new either.. most of the really big rap stars are in their late 30's/early 40's, they're part of my generation.

Archived