so when the legends are gone...

guitarbilly74

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
{censored}, dude, look at the guy in your avatar. I bet 3/4 of the people on here can't even name him and he is HANDS DOWN my favorite performance from the original Woodstock recordings. I mean, sure, drugged out of his skull, but {censored}, that was some straight-up shake your ass {censored}ing boogie rock.

i have to agree with you Dolf.... Out of all the guitarist in my area in my age group i'm the only one who has ever heard of Ten Years After :cry::facepalm: I mean sure there might be guitarist who still have that feeling and energy but i believe that guitar orriented music is on the way out like when disco got big. But no matter what people will always be playing and in a few years the next fad will die out and guitar music will get popular again.. although i don't ever think we'll have any great passionate guitarists :cry:

• Members

Correct. A band that formed over 20 years ago. Thanks for proving my point.

and is very popular and relevent today and fits your criteria.

"Show me a fun modern rock band with quality talented musicians on every instrument, that writes good listenable music"

• Members

and is very popular and relevent today and fits your criteria.

"Show me a fun modern rock band with quality talented musicians on every instrument, that writes good listenable music"

Re-read it. Dave Matthews Band is far from a "modern rock band". Van Halen just released a new album that debuted at #2, and is selling out arenas nationwide. However, I didn't include them either, because they aren't a modern rock band.

Modern: Of or relating to the present or recent times as opposed to the remote past.

• Members

In the same way? Probably not.

But {censored}, man The White Stripes couldn't have come along at a more necessary time for guitar-based ROCK to need a chance to get back into the fold of foreground music. And how many college douches do you think learned
"Your body is a wonderland" on guitar just to get laid?
At least a few of them had to continue to pursue the instrument, or continue to listen to Mayer's catalogue and realize there's a lot more to playing than open-strumming an acoustic.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling these guys the New Millennium Guitar Messiahs or anything, but it's about all we've got.

When I was in school, it was Every Rose, Sister Golden Hair, Amy, or She Talks to Angels for the insta-{censored} songs. A decade later crank out Iris, Name, or other type song for similar results.

• Members
Re-read it. Dave Matthews Band is far from a "modern rock band". Van Halen just released a new album that debuted at #2, and is selling out arenas nationwide. However, I didn't include them either, because they aren't a modern rock band.

Modern: Of or relating to the present or recent times as opposed to the remote past

you mean like nickelback? :lol:

• Members
It'snot about what Gibson (or LP) is doing now that makes them legendary, it's about what they did, and what impact it had. Say what you want, but the same designs that were created 60 years ago, are still being sold today, basically unchanged,, and young and old players are buying them. Same with Fender.

Same thing with Hendrix or EVH. Young kids are playing guitar hero to old ass music that was out well becore they were born, because, well, they are legendary players whose talent will be recognized decades or generations after they are long gone or no longer relevant.

You may not like EVH, but there are players who weren't even born when Eddie was hot, trying to learn his stuff right now. I just don't think that will be happening nearly as much 30 years from now with the current crop of players.
It's just different now.

P.S. - As I typed this, there are TWO threads on the first page of this forum, about EVH. None about any current guitarists.

The bold part is the important bit.

So what if there are two threads about EVH? That's just guitarists being guitarists.

As for Guitar Hero, I don't think that really means much of anything. Kids are probably also playing Guitar Hero to Nickelback songs, or that crabcore bull{censored}. Most of 'em probably couldn't really give a {censored} about Hendrix other than it being "cool" to be into him.

And I didn't say it was about what Gibson is doing now. Nor is it anything to do with how many of them have sold. Again, they happened to be there when things were taking off, and as such they've become a part of the whole "rock" thing. Not saying they haven't made some nice instruments, but it's not why they have such a big name. Clearly, as they've also made their fair share of absolute {censored}ing {censored} over the years too. And how many times have you heard about or seen pics of Les Pauls with their headstocks snapped off? Yeah, sounds like a design worthy of legendary status to me. They fix the problem and everyone whinges until they change it back. People, and guitarists are certainly no exception, like to cling to the old stuff, regardless of whether or not it makes sense to do so.

There being no big "rock star" guitar heroes today is just down to the way the world is now. Guitarists just aren't put up on a pedestal the way they used to be. It says nothing about their abilities and their music, just that the focus of the masses is elsewhere now. :idk:

• Members

What is there to be done now that would constitute a "guitar hero"?

There are only so many notes, scales and ways to play them.

How can anyone actually push the limits when they've all been blown away already?

Things are only invented and original once.

• Members

It'snot about what Gibson (or LP) is doing now that makes them legendary, it's about what they did, and what impact it had. Say what you want, but the same designs that were created 60 years ago, are still being sold today, basically unchanged,, and young and old players are buying them. Same with Fender.

Same thing with Hendrix or EVH. Young kids are playing guitar hero to old ass music that was out well becore they were born, because, well, they are legendary players whose talent will be recognized decades or generations after they are long gone or no longer relevant.

You may not like EVH, but there are players who weren't even born when Eddie was hot, trying to learn his stuff right now. I just don't think that will be happening nearly as much 30 years from now with the current crop of players. It's just different now.

P.S. - As I typed this, there are TWO threads on the first page of this forum, about EVH.
None about any current guitarists

Chicks don't go crazy over the weedly weedly notes, they like the artists prestige. You can be a hack and get laid. As long as you performed and the other guy wasn't a guitar player you had more chances than he did. Be real, dudes like the guitar players.

Today its not much different. Dudes go where the chicks are. Even today, country rock is taking a lot of that and I am surprised at the dudes thinking it rocks out.

Couldn't dance to Drowning Pool, Disturbed, Link park, and other bands. Death metal and mosh pits do not equal fun for chicks either. Chicks like Nickelback because they can dance to it. Its those simple things that keep Def Leppard Pour Some Sugar, or Bon Jovi a big hit with chicks... and guys. Most of those tunes are just done, overplayed etc.. but chicks moving to them make it cool again.

I just spent a week at the coast and was fugging stunned to hear young college people next door playing the same {censored} I grew up with when I was a teen/college. OTOH, I didn't hear any Sabbath, Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Ozzy or what I called cool stuff. Some standard Journey, Bon Jovi, Cyndi Lauper, Madonna, Billy Squire, Cars, Buffet, Tom Petty, etc and I think one Crue song.. Girls Girls Girls. Other stuff was a few rap songs, some newer country, and Bob Marley. No Floyd, No Zep, No Hendrix, No Deep Purple, No BTO.. No Staind, no Link park, no Disturbed, or even Goo Goo Dolls.

One thing that gets me. I think most of us that grew up in the 80's can say they didn't jam out to {censored} that was 30 years old.

In a way we can thank Hollywood, games, and many movies for the 80's popularity. Most of all, it is and has always been chicks that motivate the dudes. The music choice typically follows the chicks and what they move to. Lady Gaga is popular for that very reason.

• Members

my dad's record collection consisted of mostly 60s surf rock on into 60's rock, with some early seventies. his last album was iron butterfly. then he just stopped buying records. :idk:

he buys cds and stuff now, but mostly its weird niche {censored} like train recordings and celtic chants. :freak:

i always wonder if that will happen to me one day. and when that will be. because, while i love and participate in some level of electronic awesomeness in my music, with the advent of dubstep how long will it be until a fax machine is run through a bit crusher and put on pop radio? and that day, when my kid is jamming it, i will have just say...{censored}...its over... no more music....

:cry::love:

• Members

Music scene has changed too much. Every guy with a pc/mac and some software can now record where you could not dream of this 20/30 years ago. Cds are basically a thing of the past ( as are magazines, books) etc as digital media will be the norm once the older generations who cannot comprehend email will be gone in 20 more years. You cannot sell millions of albums today ( albums !). Those days are gone.

And it has all been done before. The guitar as we define it in a rock genre has been pushed to its limit. Guys now will take elements of other players and do their own thing but nothing truly mind alteringly different is left to be done with 6 strings and a piece of wood.

• Members

my dad's record collection consisted of mostly 60s surf rock on into 60's rock, with some early seventies. his last album was iron butterfly. then he just stopped buying records.
:idk:

he buys cds and stuff now, but mostly its weird niche {censored} like train recordings and celtic chants.
:freak:

i always wonder if that will happen to me one day. and when that will be. because, while i love and participate in some level of electronic awesomeness in my music, with the advent of dubstep how long will it be until a fax machine is run through a bit crusher and put on pop radio? and that day, when my kid is jamming it, i will have just say...{censored}...its over... no more music....

There is some really great electronic music right now, but you have to sift through all the club garbage to get to it. Check out Prefuse 73 if you're into tat sort of thing.

• Members

That's already pretty much what happens when our grandparents hear death metal.

• Members

Well when all of those mentioned "guitar legends" started, music ...variety and music industry was like a virgin {censored}, eh I mean territory.

I mean which are the riffs have become legendary for some genres of music? Paranoid? (which was a last minute effort!)? Paint it black or satisfaction? Little wing? Zepelling stuff? (insert one of your prefference right here).

If all of these weren't written, by those people back then, somebody else would write them by now, it is as simple as that for me.

But I enjoy the diversity and the evolution all of these people spawned. Today there is as much music as you can taste, hell, there is too much and pretty good stuff are around for each genre.

But the oppurtunity to become a "legend" is not present because as somebody said it is music, it may come from within but it is a bit of lego forming. There a bit specific ways you can play the guitar and sounds. You can hear the jimmy page influence on bonamassa? You can hear the hetfield influence on iced earth etc? Those are the roots.

You can argue that as far as technology and production evolves you will be able to hear some new...perhaps univnented stuff but I personally believe it will drift from guitar playing as its basic core. Even what tom morello did? Or what mathias eklund does with all his remote and {censored} or his whacky playing? Refreshing for some...a bit pointless for others (-------> and for those, there are and always be the classic songs available!).

For me it all went down the first time I heard di meola playing electric, without knowing it. "Wow cool playing, who is this guy? A bit copy cat of Vai in some sense though (then going through a vai phase)!

Nope, this is di meola, way before vai ever track anything! It is vai that "copies him" man...said my friend. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh."

• Members

I'm not gonna say there is no good music out there. Of course there is. But like was already said, you have to dig for it. You're not gonna find much of value if you just open you mouth and swallow what the industry is feeding you. That stuff is all glossy, artificial, mass produced, garbage. The labels have control over everything from how the bands dress, the music they release, and probably what they have for breakfast every morning. It's not so much that Zeppelin and the like were so far and above musically that makes the difference. It's that people had the opportunity to put them on a pedestal and worship them because they were around for more than a few months. The industry these days just wants to find the new thing to make a quick, easy buck, and then chew up and spit out the remnants after an extremely short shelf life. Oh you like THIS band do you? Well hey, forget about them, check THESE guys out! Society in general has a very short attention span.

Actually, I'll bet the industry hates bands like U2 and The Stones these days because the bands can dictate everything. They are so big that the labels can't manipulate and financially rape them like they can everyone else.

• Members

who's going to replace them?

I mean guys like Page, Gilmour or even a younger generation like EVH, ZW, Satch Vai etc... when they're all gone, what happens to rock guitar? It dies out? Fades away? Already happening?

No me, because I'll be gone too :cry:

Archived