so when the legends are gone...

guitarbilly74

• Members

led zepplin, sadly, will never happen again.

Thank god. :o

:cop:

Maybe I can start a band and rip off black people...Led Zeppelin 2.0?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQy1gdUKx37LVa-SC1BlMG

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There are no replacements. There are no guitar heroes, and there are no more rock superstars. Bands like Zeppelin, The Who, AC/DC, etc. are the last of a dying breed. Sure there are stars, and there are guys who play guitar in famous bands, but they will never achieve the near legendary status that was once bestowed upon their forefathers by millions of screaming fans. It truly is a sad state of affairs.

It's not necessarily sad. We have an incredible plurality of music available to us that, back in the day, that simply wasn't available. Part of the reason these legends are, well, legends, is because they were some of the only games in town. Don't get me wrong, they're all classic bands with great catalogs, but there also wasn't the sheer amount of music and bands competing for the same fans. Zeppelin is a monolithic band, because there weren't as many stones in the pond, as it were.

I mean, it goes both ways, I suppose: what we gained in specialization (the music we *really* like), we lost in the shared experience.

• Members

Don't even remind me that Gilmour is mortal.

When he dies, it will probably be the saddest day of my life.

When you think of those guys you also think of the bands they were a part of too. Like with Gilmour and Floyd, Page and Zeppelin, Angus and AC/DC. They not only represent themselves, but they were the songwriters too.

Now half the bands on the radio don't even write their own songs.

• Members

It's not necessarily sad. We have an incredible plurality of music available to us that, back in the day, that simply wasn't available. Part of the reason these legends are, well, legends, is because they were some of the only games in town. Don't get me wrong, they're all classic bands with great catalogs, but there also wasn't the sheer
amount
of music and bands competing for the same fans. Zeppelin is a monolithic band, because there weren't as many stones in the pond, as it were.

I mean, it goes both ways, I suppose: what we gained in specialization (the music we *really* like), we lost in the shared experience.

also this.

i know its hard, but think if led zepplin came out today and did not exist when they did. they would have a rabid core group of fans, many would know of them, but they would be drowned by so much other stuff out there.

it makes it bad ass for all the fun, little shows. but you gotta show your dick on TMZ to get actually famous. your music will never cut it. unless maybe you're KoL :idk:

• Members

It's not necessarily sad. We have an incredible plurality of music available to us that, back in the day, that simply wasn't available. Part of the reason these legends are, well, legends, is because they were some of the only games in town. Don't get me wrong, they're all classic bands with great catalogs, but there also wasn't the sheer
amount
of music and bands competing for the same fans. Zeppelin is a monolithic band, because there weren't as many stones in the pond, as it were.

This is all true.

• Members

I never really grew up listening to the rock stars, nor did I get into playing music through other family members being musicians, but I still got there. The biggest guitarist I grew up hearing was Brian May, and he's never really considered a rock star in the same way the other guys are. :idk:

There are many amazing guitarists around now obviously, and they'll continue to inspire new generations of guitarists. Are they considered "rock stars" in the same way the big name guitarists of former years were? Not really, no. But that's just the focus of popular music changing. Now instead of rock star guitarists inspiring kids all around to world to be {censored}ty no-talent guitarist wannabes, we get pop stars inspiring kids to want to be {censored}ty generic singers who show how much "soul" they have by shaking their head and waving their hands about. Whatever. :idk:

• Members

There is nothing more obnoxious than old guys crying about how "there is no good music anymore." No, you're just closed minded and want everything to sound like it's {censored}ing 1975. Get the {censored} out, there are tons of good bands out right now, with great guitar playing AND songwriting.

• Members

There is nothing more obnoxious than old guys crying about how "there is no good music anymore." No, you're just closed minded and want everything to sound like it's {censored}ing 1975. Get the {censored} out, there are tons of good bands out right now, with great guitar playing AND songwriting.

I'm 19 and feel that way. Am I broken? :confused:

• Members

A big part of it, I think, is mainstream music in general has become much more a "product" than anything of artistic substance or creativity. When I go through the radio stations much of the contemporary stuff just sounds like more of the same, its all undifferentiated. We could probably go on for pages how and why things are they way they are currently, but that is besides the point.

There is good music today, just most of its not mainstream and you have to do a bit of digging to find it. I hope at some point the current system of "popular" music is overthrown, but that will only happen when there are enough people dissatisfied with it. I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

To summarize, there is great music to be found, you'll just have to look outside the mainstream to find most of it.

• Members

amount

I agree, exactly what I was thinking. In a way, there's "too much" music and it's so easily accessible, that, you almost "can't" have those few guys that just stand out to EVERYBODY, that are head and shoulders above the rest. Not a bad thing, depending on how you look at it.

I'll also add that since rock music itself isn't what it used to be, I'm not sure anyone is really looking for a "guitar hero", and/or, I'm not sure if there is someone out there revolutionary enough to do what Hendrix/Clapton/Page were doing. I don't know if people have the attention spans to even listen to some kind of new and different approaches to guitar in or out of the song.

• Members

I agree with everything you guys are saying. There's so much music available out there, you have tons of great stuff but there's also a lot of rubbish. Part of the reason there aren't guitar heroes anymore is because for every really great famous guitar player there's a hundred guys on youtube that can play circles around them.

• Members

A big part of it, I think, is mainstream music in general has become much more a "product" than anything of artistic substance or creativity. When I go through the radio stations much of the contemporary stuff just sounds like more of the same, its all undifferentiated. We could probably go on for pages how and why things are they way they are currently, but that is besides the point. There is good music today, just most of its not mainstream and you have to do a bit of digging to find it. I hope at some point the current system of "popular" music is overthrown, but that will only happen when there are enough people dissatisfied with it. I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

Well, of course it's not going to happen. It's popular; people aren't going to be dissatisfied with it. Part of the problem is one of perception. We're musicians. Not only musicians, but the kind that sign up on message boards and gear-whore, talk {censored} about XXXX's legato, and seek out specific kinds of music that most people, frankly, just don't care about. We care more about music as an art than people for whom music is what they dance to, or listen to in the background. Music is a means to an end (i.e. fun, sex, dancing, drinking) for many, while for us it IS the end.

• Members

{censored}, dude, look at the guy in your avatar. I bet 3/4 of the people on here can't even name him and he is HANDS DOWN my favorite performance from the original Woodstock recordings. I mean, sure, drugged out of his skull, but {censored}, that was some straight-up shake your ass {censored}ing boogie rock.

Dolf is on fire up in here. Agree with all of this and thought I was the only one who liked Ten Years After best at Woodstock. Let's get freaky.

[video=youtube;suMYxsS4h-E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suMYxsS4h-E

Archived