so when the legends are gone...

guitarbilly74

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There is nothing more obnoxious than old guys crying about how "there is no good music anymore." No, you're just closed minded and want everything to sound like it's {censored}ing 1975. Get the {censored} out, there are tons of good bands out right now, with great guitar playing AND songwriting.

I don't agree with this. You have to admit, there is a difference between some new guitar mfg, say, "Suhr" for example, and Gibson and Fender. Gibson and Fender are legendary, and pretty much defined and created their markets. Suhr, while they make great guitars, are neither revolutionary, nor are they really changing anything.

There are LOTS of great players, just like you say, but are any of them "legendary" status, are any of them re-writing the rules and defining an entire decade or generation of guitarists, (tone AND playing) say like EVH did? When you saw Hendrix perform or listened to Eruption for the first and 30th time, it was like you saw an alien, your jaw was on the floor, and didn't quite know how to describe it. It was like nothing you'd ever seen or heard before.

If someone is doing that now, please tell me who he/she is.

• Members

I think it was made clear at Coachella that the legends will never die... they'll just be replaced by holograms and all the future guitarists can go {censored} themselves.
:facepalm:

Hey, at least guitarists got their moment in the sun. Tuba players, oboe players, lute players, they never the spotlight. Quick, name an accordion player (Weird Al doesn't count) who's been featured on MTV. Just cause we chose guitar doesn't mean we're entitled to anything.

• Members

Well, of course it's not going to happen. It's popular; people aren't going to be dissatisfied with it. Part of the problem is one of perception. We're musicians. Not only musicians, but the kind that sign up on message boards and gear-whore, talk {censored} about XXXX's legato, and seek out specific kinds of music that most people, frankly, just don't care about. We care more about music as an art than people for whom music is what they dance to, or listen to in the background. Music is a means to an end (i.e. fun, sex, dancing, drinking) for many, while for us it IS the end.

I didn't even think of the matter of perception, and you make a very good point in that for non-musicians the mainstream is good enough and they don't care. I guess we've been spoiled by some of the previous decades, in which the circumstances where such that they created environments that allowed the creation of music that was both great and commercially successful.

I guess there is something in me that wants the truly artistic and creative musicians to get more recognition than those who are just the popular flavor of the month. But at least those who really care appreciate them.

• Members

Yep.

Nope.

Sure, there's good music out there if you {censored}ing dig and dig for it. But there are no real rock stars anymore. And for that exact reason. Anyone with any real talent is {censored}ing buried by the tripe they throw on the radio today. Who's the face of rock stardom today? Chad Kroeger? :barf:

Show me a fun modern rock band with quality talented musicians on every instrument, that writes good listenable music.

• Members

Hey, at least guitarists got their moment in the sun. Tuba players, oboe players, lute players, they
never
the spotlight. Quick, name an accordion player (Weird Al doesn't count) who's been featured on MTV. Just cause we chose guitar doesn't mean we're entitled to anything.

Quick, name the reason most of us became guitar players instead of oboe players...

• Members
Nope.

Sure, there's good music out there if you {censored}ing dig and dig for it. But there are no real rock stars anymore. And for that exact reason. Anyone with any real talent is {censored}ing buried by the tripe they throw on the radio today. Who's the face of rock stardom today? Chad Kroeger?
:barf:

Show me a fun modern rock band with quality talented musicians on every instrument, that writes good
listenable
music.

I'm pretty sure DMB fits all of your criteria and then some.

• Members
I don't agree with this. You have to admit, there is a difference between some new guitar mfg, say, "Suhr" for example, and Gibson and Fender. Gibson and Fender are legendary, and pretty much defined and created their markets. Suhr, while they make great guitars, are neither revolutionary, nor are they really changing anything.

There are LOTS of great players, just like you say, but are any of them "legendary" status, are any of them re-writing the rules and defining an entire decade or generation of guitarists, (tone AND playing) say like EVH did? When you saw Hendrix perform or listened to Eruption for the first and 30th time, it was like you saw an alien, your jaw was on the floor, and didn't quite know how to describe it. It was like nothing you'd ever seen or heard before.

who the he11 would listen to Eruption 30 times?

• Members

There is nothing more obnoxious than old guys crying about how "there is no good music anymore." No, you're just closed minded and want everything to sound like it's {censored}ing 1975. Get the {censored} out, there are tons of good bands out right now, with great guitar playing AND songwriting.

Im not complaining about anything. I am just asking a question. I know there is plenty of good music out there and I listen to a lot of it. My question was whether some of the new guitar players will have the same impact on this generation ( as a whole not only the musicians) the old guys had on previous generations.

• Members
Im not complaining about anything. I am just asking a question. I know there is plenty of good music out there and I listen to a lot of it. My question was whether some of the new guitar players will have the same impact on this generation ( as a whole not only the musicians) the old guys had on previous generations.

probably not, but a big part of that is the short attention span of the listeners today compared to yesteryear.

• Members

What have Gibson really done that's revolutionary, besides by their own idiotic more recent claims (i.e. {censored}ty "robot" guitars and that {censored}ty piece of {censored} with FX and {censored} in it)? I don't think they necessarily defined their markets; they happened to be there while everything was happening. Since then Gibson has basically tacked the same things on to different body shapes. As far as I recall, the LP was LP's creation and Gibson just made it for him. :idk:

I grew up after Hendrix and VH, and was never really floored by either of them. I've had my own share of jaw-dropping musical experiences though. One more recent one of the guitaring sort would be Derek Trucks. That said, I don't really fixate too much on guitarists anyway. A lot of what I listen to might feature guitars in it, but I'm more interested in hearing the whole package. If whatever album Eruption was on was released today, that'd be the track I'd skip past every time. :idk:

I don't think a lack of "generation defining" guitarists today has anything to do with the quality of guitarists around. It's just a matter of what's popular today. If VH were starting out now, EVH most likely wouldn't achieve the same status he did. Even if they somehow became popular, the only people who'd really give a {censored} about EVH would be guitarists. :idk:

• Members

probably not, but a big part of that is the short attention span of the listeners today compared to yesteryear.

That, and close-mindedness and incorrect preconceptions. I remember when I was in college and watching one of the G3 dvds I had. My roommate asked me after a few minutes of watching when they were going to start singing. I told them they weren't. He then informed me that its not music unless their is singing. :facepalm:

A year or so later and a different roommate, I was watching the Rainbow Live in Munich concert on dvd. Ritchie Blackmore has several lengthy improvisations throughout the concert, and it really bothered that roommate that Blackmore wasn't playing the songs "right", though he didn't really didn't know the songs anyways. It was that Blackmore wasn't following a set verse-chorus-verse-chorus-guitar solo-etc. song structure, and it made him feel uncomfortable that Blackmore had violated his expectations.

Sure, these are only two people, but think of how many others they are representative of.

• Members

That, and close-mindedness and incorrect preconceptions. I remember when I was in college and watching one of the G3 dvds I had. My roommate asked me after a few minutes of watching when they were going to start singing. I told them they weren't.
He then informed me that its not music unless their is singing.
:facepalm:

A year or so later and a different roommate, I was watching the Rainbow Live in Munich. Ritchie Blackmore has several lengthy improvs throughout the concert, and it
really
bothered that roommate that Blackmore wasn't playing the songs "right", though he didn't really didn't know the songs anyways. It was that Blackmore wasn't following a set verse-chorus-verse-chorus-guitar solo-etc. song structure, and it made him feel uncomfortable that Blackmore had violated his expectations.

Sure, these are only two people, but think of how many others they are representative of.

"Tell that to Beethoven and he'll kick your ass!!" -Eddie Van Halen

• Members

And there's your problem. :poke:

What have Gibson really done that's revolutionary, besides by their own idiotic more recent claims (i.e. {censored}ty "robot" guitars and that {censored}ty piece of {censored} with FX and {censored} in it)? I don't think they necessarily defined their markets; they happened to be there while everything was happening. Since then Gibson has basically tacked the same things on to different body shapes. As far as I recall, the LP was LP's creation and Gibson just made it for him.
:idk:

I grew up after Hendrix and VH, and was never really floored by either of them. I've had my own share of jaw-dropping musical experiences though. One more recent one of the guitaring sort would be Derek Trucks. That said, I don't really fixate too much on guitarists anyway. A lot of what I listen to might feature guitars in it, but I'm more interested in hearing the whole package. If whatever album Eruption was on was released today, that'd be the track I'd skip past every time.

I don't think a lack of "generation defining" guitarists today has anything to do with the quality of guitarists around. It's just a matter of what's popular today. If VH were starting out now, EVH most likely wouldn't achieve the same status he did. Even if they somehow became popular, the only people who'd really give a {censored} about EVH would be guitarists.

It'snot about what Gibson (or LP) is doing now that makes them legendary, it's about what they did, and what impact it had. Say what you want, but the same designs that were created 60 years ago, are still being sold today, basically unchanged,, and young and old players are buying them. Same with Fender.

Same thing with Hendrix or EVH. Young kids are playing guitar hero to old ass music that was out well becore they were born, because, well, they are legendary players whose talent will be recognized decades or generations after they are long gone or no longer relevant.

You may not like EVH, but there are players who weren't even born when Eddie was hot, trying to learn his stuff right now. I just don't think that will be happening nearly as much 30 years from now with the current crop of players. It's just different now.

P.S. - As I typed this, there are TWO threads on the first page of this forum, about EVH. None about any current guitarists.

Archived