So, who's using a Tweaker 40?

Dolf

• Members

I've heard nothing but good things and great clips from the Tweaker 15. But I feel like I haven't heard a damned thing about the 40.

I'm interested, as a few have come up for sale/trade recently.

What say you, eh?

• Members

I liked it when I first got it. After playing it a while (the honeymoon was over) and going back and forth with my orange, I found it to be pretty bland. A lot of tonal options but nothing that really made me say "wow".

It much prefers single coils IMO.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by TU BE View Post
I liked it when I first got it. After playing it a while (the honeymoon was over) and going back and forth with my orange, I found it to be pretty bland. A lot of tonal options but nothing that really made me say "wow".

One of the bands I play in the other guitarist has one through a sponsorship. It sounds good, but truthfully I prefer his jubilee.

• Members

Interesting...particularly as I don't have a single coil guitar atm

Quote Originally Posted by '63-Strat View Post
One of the bands I play in the other guitarist has one through a sponsorship. It sounds good, but truthfully I prefer his jubilee.
I mean, that's kind of a given. There are quite a few amps that try to hold up to a jub and fail.

• Members

I used one while I filled in with a cover band for about a month.

It's a good sounding amp, but it needs to be turned up to open up.

Mostly used the Marshall settings for dirty cleans and modern rock tones. Worked well for that. Mean and crunchy. I liked it okay at home too.....but it kept urging me to turn it up. At 40w, that's kind of hard to do.

The other modes were okay. The Vox mode required some massive EQ tweaking to get it to sound right. The Fender mode was nice, but was like a slightly sweeter version of the Marshall mode.

There's a threshold around 1 o'clock on the volume knobs..........goes from okay to WOAH! Sadly that's just too loud.

While I dug it, I just couldn't keep it.

Something about those "mini" amps that just don't sound as full or stout as full size amps. idn_smilie.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by GAS KING View Post
I used one while I filled in with a cover band for about a month.

It's a good sounding amp, but it needs to be turned up to open up.

Mostly used the Marshall settings for dirty cleans and modern rock tones. Worked well for that. Mean and crunchy. I liked it okay at home too.....but it kept urging me to turn it up. At 40w, that's kind of hard to do.

The other modes were okay. The Vox mode required some massive EQ tweaking to get it to sound right. The Fender mode was nice, but was like a slightly sweeter version of the Marshall mode.

There's a threshold around 1 o'clock on the volume knobs..........goes from okay to WOAH! Sadly that's just too loud.

While I dug it, I just couldn't keep it.

Something about those "mini" amps that just don't sound as full or stout as full size amps. idn_smilie.gif
I don't mind needing to turn up...I don't really play quietly.

Anybody ever used one as a pedal platform?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by GAS KING View Post
Just make sure you crank it up before you judge it. That's where the tone is. wink.gif

Used it with pedals too, and thought it was good.
Thanks for the heads-up thumb.gif

I was hoping it had a master and individual channel volumes and that's why it seems like it needs to get cranked before opening up. I find amps with that kind of setup, you just crank the global master all the way (and use the channel volumes) and it really opens the amps up. I'm going to try to play one, I was just wondering if trying to work out a trade for one of the like 5 I see for sale right now was worth my time

• Members

The real son of a bitch is that there are TONS of great demos of the Tweaker 15 and I've heard loads of awesome clips.

But there isn't a single good demo of the 40 on youtube. Not one. All cam-mic bedroom wankery, might-as-well-be-a-guitarworld-demo clips mad.gif

• Members

Tweaker 15 and 40 sound and react bit different. As stated you need to crank that 40. 40 seemed more "hi-fi" sounding and doesn't have as much give/sag to your playing. Overall I liked the amp, but it was more different sounding from the 15 than I had originally anticipated.

• Members

Love the 40! Turned up with a pair of Siemen's EL's sounds great. Wasn't sure with the mixed reviews but glad I took the chance on it. Lead guy in a band I'm recording tried it, liked it so much he sold his Reinhardt and bought one too.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74 View Post
I would rather plug into my TV set. I hate these amps with a passion. Every time I see the name Egnater and the blond tolex, I already know it's going to suck ass. Their new line of high gain heads is cool though.
Yeah but what do you know about amps? icon_lol.gif

I stopped at GC on my way home to try out a 40. BtW I truly despise the basic tone of the Egnator Rebel. But I have to admit that I really liked the sound of the Tweker I tried. I can see the shard eq being an issue but the assload of tweak switches makes up for it.

• Members

I found the same thing when trying it out at the store, very generic sounding amp but versatile.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Gnarly

View Post

I found the same thing when trying it out at the store, very generic sounding amp but versatile.

Probably why I liked it! I have a history of liking a fairly 'uncolored' sound.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbicus

View Post

Probably why I liked it! I have a history of liking a fairly 'uncolored' sound.

I'm sure the "uncoloured" sound has it's uses, I've found I do better with amps with some character. I just got rid of my Mesa Express for this reason.

Archived