So, who's using a Tweaker 40?

Dolf

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by grunge782

View Post

Tweaker 15 and 40 sound and react bit different. As stated you need to crank that 40. 40 seemed more "hi-fi" sounding and doesn't have as much give/sag to your playing. Overall I liked the amp, but it was more different sounding from the 15 than I had originally anticipated.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby

View Post

Tweaker 40 didn't have the cool vibe of the 15 imo

Just rather bland and meh. Not bad by any means but nothing ground breaking. The 15 is killer fwiw

I agree...

I went out the last two weeks looking for a new amp, I currently have a Fender Blues jr III and a Fender Pro Jr.

I was pretty sure I wanted a 2 channel amp, the Tweaker 40 being my 1st choice.

I needed something that sounded good at low volumes also without pedals, I wnated decent built in gain, neither of my Fenders have that.

I tested the Tweaker 40 Head, Tweaker 40 combo, Tech 21 Trademark 60 combo, Orange OR15H, and the Tweaker 15 Head and combo.

All amps were nice, but the best tone and versatility went to the Tweaker 15 Head and cab. I ended up ordering one.

The Tweaker 40 would have been better if they would have used 6V6s instead of 6L6s, then it would have been a 2 channel Egnater 15.

The Tweaker 40 just does not have the tone of the 15, at least not at lower volumes.

My last 2 channel amps were a Budda SD18 combo and a Budda SD45 combo, great tones, but did not do low volume at all.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by TU BE

View Post

I liked it when I first got it. After playing it a while (the honeymoon was over) and going back and forth with my orange, I found it to be pretty bland. A lot of tonal options but nothing that really made me say "wow".

It much prefers single coils IMO.

I had the Tweaker 88 for nearly a year and a 15 before that. On paper the 88 was the ideal amp. In terms of functionality and tonal options it should SLAY!

Yet I feel like the comments above. It was just blah. I even re-tubed the 88 and it was still blah. I tried some Tung Sol 6550's in it instead of KT88's and it didn't do much with the tone. It certainly was not up to par with any of my other amps (Mesa, Fender, Orange, Blackstar, Kustom).

I kept it so long because I thought, "With these features and this design it should be wowing me."

It never did, though. facepalm.gif

I also had a Renegade head that I ended up feeling the same way about.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Innocent Smith

View Post

Strange. I had the opposite experience. Tried a Tweaker 15 about a year ago and wasn't impressed at all. Tried a 40 a couple of months ago and loved it. Just got a 2x12 for it and now I'm loving it even more!

IMG_0097.jpg

I still might end up buying a Tweaker 40 head to have a two channel option for gain in one head, but a cheaper option would be to run my Fender Blues Jr clean and my Tweaker for Gain with a A/B switch. I just thoght the Tweaker 15 sounded better at low volumes, I rarely if ever play loud.

Quote Originally Posted by shane159

View Post

If you like thin bland tone, then go for it. Seriously, they have tons of tones ,but none of the tones have any balls. Bedroom, maybe, but in a band you are screwed.

I didn't find that the tone was thin, just not as many harmonic overtones at low volumes as the Tweaker 15 I ended up buying.

I used my Tweaker 15 with a band and it cut through fine??

Do you have experience with the Tweaker 40 not cutting through in a live mix?

I have the option to pick up a Tweaker 40 head cheap, but I am trying to not let GAS make me do it.

Quote Originally Posted by guitarcapo

View Post

This thread is killing my gas for any Tweaker other than the 15 I have. Thanks much.

For some reason I still look for Tweaker 40s, but the Tweaker 15 does have better tone IMHO, at least at lower volumes.

I don't have an extra cabinet, so I would need to use it with the Tweaker 1x12 cab which is only rated at 30w, but I never exceed 30w, so it should be fine.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby

View Post

Tweaker 40 didn't have the cool vibe of the 15 imo

Just rather bland and meh. Not bad by any means but nothing ground breaking. The 15 is killer fwiw

What he said. Bought the 40 because I liked the 15 and wanted more versatility. Different amp. Get 2 Tweaker 15's instead and duck tape them together

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by shane159

View Post

If you like thin bland tone, then go for it. Seriously, they have tons of tones ,but none of the tones have any balls. Bedroom, maybe, but in a band you are screwed.

I snagged the 88 because I thought the big bottles would bring the Tweaker to life. That it would be the 15 on steroids. It wasn't. Not even close.

I even re-tubed, as mentioned above. That didn't do it either. I gave it every chance to wow me and it just did not measure up. There is something muffled and distant about the mids in that amp. If dark and distant mids exist then the higher-wattage Tweakers seem to have it.

I was glad to sell it----even though I put a lot of time into in the past year to get it to come to life.

Great idea. Poor execution.

Archived