Tube Hi-FI?

Seattle Doug

• Members

Hi guys - thanks for all the good input here as always. It's just a notion I am kicking around. I have a good source to build them so it seems like a good opportunity but also could be a spiraling black hole.

It's a better idea than the Cornford amps.

:thu:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'd like to dabble but well outta my price range, the price of good solid state stuff is so low in comparison it makes it hard to get in to tube Hi-Fi. I have a Rotel setup with twin power amps and a one grand sub i was given for free, bought some good Monitor Audio speakers and stands and it sounds great. One day when i have the money I'll really invest but the diminishing returns high up is painful.

• Members

4x12AX7...two for phono, two for line amp.

The other tube is the rectifier...12X4? 12X6? I forget.

Yeah, that's the PAS-2. The PAS-3 has the silver panel and silver metal knobs.

Dynaco/Dynakit stuff is the best way to go affordable tube HI-FI

A really nice combo is a PAS-3 pre-amp and ST-70 power amp--figure $500 in good condition. $200 for the pre-amp, $300 for the amp--in original condition. A little less expensive would be the PAT-4 which is solid state, but I doubt you'll hear a difference with the ST-70. Amazingly you can still get unbuilt kits, but they show up rarely--the PAT-4 is easily the most common unbuilt old Dynaco kit out there.

If you don't need volume, an SCA-35 integrated amp runs around $200-$300. I found one with some problems, but when I cleaned it up..WOW!

Currently messing with a Mark VI 125 watt power amp. I have one working one, and would love to have a pair.

Dynaco's S/S equipment was also really, really good, too.

• Members

i was just thinking the other night how it would be nice to have a real stereo system in my place and start buying all my favorite albums on vinyl, then i started looking at the prices for mcintosh stuff and the like and whoa! yeah, if you can make something decent cheap ill go for it

• Members

Hi guys - thanks for all the good input here as always. It's just a notion I am kicking around. I have a good source to build them so it seems like a good opportunity but also could be a spiraling black hole.

You've got a business sense.. you could make a limited pilot run, and if they sell out like hot cakes then you've got your answer.. Price, presentation and marketing will be huge.

• Members

McIntosh Labs stuff has gone from ridiculously expensive to insanely expensive over the last 35-40 years. But it's still all-American made in Binghamton, NY.

I'm not greatly familiar with McIntosh. I see their products frequently, but haven't investigated to see their high end. The most over the top hi-fi brand I've seen is KR Audio. $1200, 150 watt plate dissipation handmade tubes apparently have a market.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

8we9mq.png

Love the scooped mids on those EQs.

I can't help but think that if you're doing that much EQ, it's no longer just corrective.

...And allow me to add my $.02:

I think that a much better market might be all-tube recent-quality-but-inexpensive studio gear.

Personally, I'd love to get a really kickass all tube mic preamp, but right now my only options seem to be junk where the "tube warmth" comes from an LED backlight or super expensive high end stuff. I think that something in the middle might sell pretty well.

• Members

Hi dudes? Do any of you have interested in tube hi-FI? I'm talking about stereo tube amp and preamp, not 5.1 etc etc. Just really good stereo tube audio for your music listening pleasure.

Would that be cool or am I stupid?

It'd be cool but I would rather you guys concentrate on make amps. A stand alone jca x88r style preamp would be sweet.

• Members

I agree with this. It's better for the brand name to focus in one thing, at least initially.

Yeah, but this is Doug! He didn't say it would be a Jet City product, did he? I'm guessing seperate company like Whitebox. Dude is an idea machine!!!

• Members
All "tube amps" have "high percentages of musical distortion".

0.02% is laughable.

You're about 2 orders of magnatude low.
:thu:

EVEN when talking about audiophile grade equipment at low listening levels.

I had an old Sansui integrated amp that did 110 watts per channel and had Harmonic Distortion @ 0.08 % at rated output.

And the new McIntosh stuff will do 100 watts per channel @ 0.5% harmonic distortion.

• Members

Most any of the mid 70's stuff from Sansui, Kenwood and Pioneer will kick most anything's ass that is current. Esp Pioneer SX1980 - 270 watts per channel RMS into 8 ohms Harmonic Distortion: Less than 0.03% - Sansui BA 5000 - 300w per channel, Phase Linear 700 watts per channel.

They don't/can't make things like that anymore.

Having run a Sansui AU11000 full out thru a set of Altec Model 19 speakers...it doesn't get any better than that. Got evicted for that one. :cop:

• Members
Most any of the mid 70's stuff from Sansui, Kenwood and Pioneer will kick most anything's ass that is current. Esp Pioneer SX1980 - 270 watts per channel RMS into 8 ohms Harmonic Distortion: Less than 0.03% - Sansui BA 5000 - 300w per channel, Phase Linear 700 watts per channel.

They don't/can't make things like that anymore.

Having run a Sansui AU11000 full out thru a set of Altec Model 19 speakers...it doesn't get any better than that. Got evicted for that one.
:cop:

Back in the mid to late-80's I had a Sansui receiver with Altec Lansing speakers. It sounded really good. I mistakenly upgraded to Phase Linear speakers that did not sound as good.

Archived