Who here plays straight through the amp

guitarbilly74

• Members

I use old school marshalls. With stuff up front, it's still hard to mask mistakes / sloppy playing. I normally only have on 1-2 effects at a time. A dirt pedal, and either a wah, or a "color" pedal (phaer, flange, etc) . Once in a blue moon I'll use a delay

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Who. .... Wat ... um. Huh?

guitarist for:

Dictators

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dictators

Manowar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manowar

Eklundh uses the phrase "growing your own mustache" which I take to mean finding your own unique voice and sound and in his case this is entirely through his playing technique and NOT effects, which by extension of the analogy are an adolescent crutch to the actual PLAYING; boys can't grow their own mustache.

• Members

I play that way now, guitar>cable>amp.

Back in the days I ran rack(s) and floor effects at times
:facepalm:
but not any longer. The day my last rack processor re-set itself was a great day (15 years ago) as it forced to improve my technical abilities,
not hiding behind layers of effects the way that Eric Johnson does or Shawn Lane did.

If I need anything a floor OD pedal, a rotary pedal, and a compressor is all I own any longer.

Derek

do you REALLY think these guys are hiding behind effects? These guys are monster players who could play straight into an amp and sound much better than all of us combined. They use effects because they want to, not to hide anything.

• Members

I play that way now, guitar>cable>amp.

Back in the days I ran rack(s) and floor effects at times
:facepalm:
but not any longer. The day my last rack processor re-set itself was a great day (15 years ago) as it forced to improve my technical abilities, not hiding behind layers of effects the way that Eric Johnson does or Shawn Lane did.

If I need anything a floor OD pedal, a rotary pedal, and a compressor is all I own any longer.

Derek

So EJ and/or Shawn Lane had poor technical capabilities and hide behind effects? :freak:

• Members

So for the guys who are actually playing straight through the amp... do you guys play primarily rhythm or lead in your band?

I always feel that I'd have no problems playing straight through the amp if I was playing strictly rhythm guitar, but I have a hard time to find a dry solo tone I like.

• Members

So for the guys who are actually playing straight through the amp... do you guys play primarily rhythm or lead in your band?

I always feel that I'd have no problems playing straight through the amp if I was playing strictly rhythm guitar, but I have a hard time to find a dry solo tone I like.

• Members

I'm a rhythm guitarist, my lead guitarist does all the effected stuff.

• Members

I play straight through about 95% of the time. Occasionally I like to use a pedal. I play mainly rhythm but some lead stuff. My only effect is the on-board reverb which I use for rhythm and lead.

Archived