Who here plays straight through the amp

guitarbilly74

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What in holy hell is up with this thread? Christ, I have a hard enough time keeping track of everything and everybody....now this? :facepalm::lol:

I usually use effects/preamps. One time I had to use a 3 channel amp only (fergets a cable derp). I did just fine. It's not like it's some badge of honor, heroship, or bragging rite. It was a piece of cake, easy as pie. I concentrated neither no more nor no less on my playing and the songs. A couple things were a bit hard to do...like U2 New Years Day, and What Are Words For. :rolleyes: I don't think anyone noticed or cared. :idk::lol:

But I do it for me. I enjoy creating different sounds and textures. It's not like you have to forget the song to use the toys. You still have to play the song. If done correctly, there's no doubt (for me :rolleyes: ) the music is BETTER because of it. Your genre and mileage may vary of course.

But, I always make sure the gear that I am using makes it easy and convenient for me to do exactly what I want. It's why I use things like the Tonelab, HD500, and Mustang III, and not say the one bestest amp ever with a bunch of pedals...that can be hard to nail your idea (and practically apply them).

• Members

You do that even with the 5153?

I always just wanted delay for leads maybe some chorus on the cleans and a solo boost. My amp has a pretty good built in solo boost, cleans thankfully I don't play that much ({censored} cleans play distortion) and the other guitarist pretty much cranks and pumps when playing rythm and makes my delay sound useless unless I go too loud or too wet on the delay which I don't like...(totally different if you are the single guitarist in a band!).

So straight in for quite some time, {censored} true bypass!

• Members

You do that even with the 5153?

I always just wanted delay for leads maybe some chorus on the cleans and a solo boost. My amp has a pretty good built in solo boost, cleans thankfully I don't play that much ({censored} cleans play distortion) and the other guitarist pretty much cranks and pumps when playing rythm and makes my delay sound useless unless I go too loud or too wet on the delay which I don't like...(totally different if you are the single guitarist in a band!).

So straight in for quite some time, {censored} true bypass!

Yep. In fact, the 5150 series seems to take an EQ better than just about anything else I've tried, and the 5153 is no different in that regard.

Archived