Who here plays straight through the amp

guitarbilly74

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Depends on the guitar. If I'm using my Pearl I never use a boost but my SG sounds a bit dead without one so I tend to use it for that. Other than that it's all about the single channel amp for me (GH50L). I do use an EQ in the loop for a lead boost if I'm playing live. Thinking of changing that for a delay.

• Members
this, the youngblood version

Youngblood, I want to hear your band. Make it so. :wave:

I don't ever play straight through my amp except if I'm recording and I jsut want a clean sound or amp distortion - I love the way various pedals hit it too much to not have those options at my feet. Live, I'm only playing with no pedals on about 10% of the time.

• Members

I do with my Vintage Modern. It doesn't need anything at all.

8kbe3mAJGSw

It's not that I don't use them, it just depends on the amp. With my Silvertone 1482s and SF Vibro Champ pedals are a must.

I just picked up a Egnater Tweaker 15 head a few days ago. I haven't had time to mess with it yet but I suspect it will be another no pedals required amp.

• Members

I understand that some amps "don't need anything at all". But I wanted to make clear that is NOT why people use effects.

None of my amps "NEED" anything. I regularly practice into a clean amp, as in real practice with scales, modes, triads, chord formations, etc.

But when I create music and songs...I do the same thing your recording engineer will do...I add this and that to enhance the experience of the song...not because the amp needs anything. Obviously, it can be genre specific. Some of my songs get very little treatment, others get soaked and drenched.

• Members
I understand that some amps "don't need anything at all". But I wanted to make clear that is NOT why people use effects.

None of my amps "NEED" anything.
I regularly practice into a clean amp, as in real practice with scales, modes, triads, chord formations, etc.

But when I create music and songs...I do the same thing your recording engineer will do...I add this and that to enhance the experience of the song...not because the amp needs anything. Obviously, it can be genre specific. Some of my songs get very little treatment, others get soaked and drenched.

That is why you're a better guitarist than I am, mang. Oh, for the time & discipline actually to get *better* on the instrument... :(

• Members
straight into the amp MF! with this little unit in the FX loop

Matt-Baker---Finished-Pedal.jpg

kidding, just this

alesispicoverbfront.gif

Wow.... that pedalboard clearly breaks Ordinance #123 from the Guitar Players Big Book of Rules and Regulations. Which stipulates that "one is to have no more than 4 Boss pedals on anyone board at any one time.... and that those Boss pedals are not to be run in series with one another."

• Members
Wow.... that pedalboard clearly breaks Ordinance #123 from the Guitar Players Big Book of Rules and Regulations. Which stipulates that "one is to have no more than 4 Boss pedals on anyone board at any one time.... and that those Boss pedals are not to be run in series with one another."

LMAO!!! :D

• Members

That is why you're a better guitarist than I am, mang. Oh, for the time & discipline actually to get *better* on the instrument...
:(

I wouldn't say that my friend! I could only wish I had put the time necessary to really become a good guitar player and musician. I've been going back over some rudimentary things, and it's helping, but it's very painful! Damn ADD kicks in before I even get started. :)

I get the feeling this this whole "amp straight in" is some sort of competition (for some), and that is really sad. There are great beautiful things to be had on both sides of the court.

• Members

I play that way now, guitar>cable>amp.

Back in the days I ran rack(s) and floor effects at times :facepalm: but not any longer. The day my last rack processor re-set itself was a great day (15 years ago) as it forced to improve my technical abilities, not hiding behind layers of effects the way that Eric Johnson does or Shawn Lane did.

If I need anything a floor OD pedal, a rotary pedal, and a compressor is all I own any longer.

Derek

Archived