AMT developing solid state tubes 6l6 and 12ax7. Go AMT!

Travisaurus Rex

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

These are quite frankly dumb. I've been using some of the same preamp valves in my amps for years on end and they sound just fine and some of those are unbranded {censored}. Sure one goes microphonic occasionally and gets tossed but they cost

• Members

These are quite frankly dumb. I've been using some of the same preamp valves in my amps for years on end and they sound just fine and some of those are unbranded {censored}. Sure one goes microphonic occasionally and gets tossed but they cost

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by '63-Strat View Post
Meh I dunno. It's hard to tell with clips because I dunno how good they could make the real amps sound with actual tubes but not that impressed with these demos of the retrovalves:
http://www.robertsaudiotech.com/desi...alve.php#demos
Those demos would be more useful if they used standard tubes first for comparison.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by '63-Strat View Post
Meh I dunno. It's hard to tell with clips because I dunno how good they could make the real amps sound with actual tubes but not that impressed with these demos of the retrovalves:
http://www.robertsaudiotech.com/desi...alve.php#demos
Those demos would be more useful if they used standard tubes first for comparison.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by Caulk Rocket View Post
AMT's new site is up.

Everything should be available early next year.

http://eshop.amtelectronics.com/

These SS replacements would really open up a lot of new power amp options for me. I don't want a flat response since I am not using a modeler, and I don't want a super expensive tube power amp either. So I am stuck. I'd be able to pick up an old power amp that needs a little work for pennies, and throw these in it.

I do use a modeller...but I do like using a tube amp or "not flat response". I use a small SS combo power amp, 64 Fender Twin, and Crown PB-2/4x12. The twin, right into the front (no other way) is usually my favorite. It does for my modeller like what it does for your guitar; ever plug your guitar straight into the PA? It gives it that tube presence and feel that most (all?) modellers lack. You have to be discerning in your parameters, but it can be done.

My only problem is that, like many tube amps, it likes played loud. So I sometimes use the little solid state combo (Mustang III) FX return input. I can get a very acceptable sound at lower volumes. Is it "perfect" tone? I wouldn't say that! But it sounds very good....and FEELS good too.

I think some people make more of this "feel" thing than what it is. Of course I understand the concept. I also know the brain loves to trick itself. "See this solid state amp here?...I already KNOW it can't possibly FEEL like a "REAL" (tube) amp." And therefor it doesn't.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Caulk Rocket View Post
AMT's new site is up.

Everything should be available early next year.

http://eshop.amtelectronics.com/

These SS replacements would really open up a lot of new power amp options for me. I don't want a flat response since I am not using a modeler, and I don't want a super expensive tube power amp either. So I am stuck. I'd be able to pick up an old power amp that needs a little work for pennies, and throw these in it.

I do use a modeller...but I do like using a tube amp or "not flat response". I use a small SS combo power amp, 64 Fender Twin, and Crown PB-2/4x12. The twin, right into the front (no other way) is usually my favorite. It does for my modeller like what it does for your guitar; ever plug your guitar straight into the PA? It gives it that tube presence and feel that most (all?) modellers lack. You have to be discerning in your parameters, but it can be done.

My only problem is that, like many tube amps, it likes played loud. So I sometimes use the little solid state combo (Mustang III) FX return input. I can get a very acceptable sound at lower volumes. Is it "perfect" tone? I wouldn't say that! But it sounds very good....and FEELS good too.

I think some people make more of this "feel" thing than what it is. Of course I understand the concept. I also know the brain loves to trick itself. "See this solid state amp here?...I already KNOW it can't possibly FEEL like a "REAL" (tube) amp." And therefor it doesn't.

Archived