Beginner needs 2-channel amp, good low volume tone, lightweight, footswitch

Grayson73

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby

View Post

This is just dumb. Not even in the realm of reality kind of dumb. Where did you possibly read this and what makes you even begin to think its true?

I think your confused by what the speaker size is doing to the frequency response. A 10" will be a bit more focused on the low end and more middy and punchy. Punchy like a shotgun blast, it sprays like a a buckshot bullet. 12" are a bit more beaming and straight ahead. They will have a bit bigger bass response. They shoot more like a rifle, long and straight.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by SnowStorm

View Post

In this scenario, 2 10" speakers would disperse more sound than 1 12" speaker. The same as a 2x12 cab compared to a 4x10.

View Post

I think your confused by what the speaker size is doing to the frequency response. A 10" will be a bit more focused on the low end and more middy and punchy. Punchy like a shotgun blast, it sprays like a a buckshot bullet. 12" are a bit more beaming and straight ahead. They will have a bit bigger bass response. They shoot more like a rifle, long and straight.

Yes, 2 speakers will disperse more sound than a single speaker. No, 10's aren't inherently better at spreading sound compared to a similar 12" speaker.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74

View Post

I'd suggest a Fender Mustang III. It's one of the lightest amps out there, it sounds good for low volume playing, comes with a footswitch and it will have everything you need (channels, effects, tuner etc) in a small lightweight package. You also can feed it directly to the PA using the cab emulators and have complete control of your volume.

This

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson73

View Post

Many of the people recommended Peavey Classic 30 and many recommended a SS amp. I guess I'll have to try both.

How is this for Peavey Classic 30 deal?

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/msg/3333151773.html

That is not a fantastic deal, and also I don't think the Vintage 30 is a good match for that amp. Try to find a stock one for $300-$350.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by knucklefux

View Post

i don't get it.

yes, there's a sweet spot where tube amps sound best (and it's usually pretty loud) but that doesn't mean that they sound worse than solid state amps at low volumes.

with a classic 30, at least you have to ability to crank it into that sweet spot if you get the opportunity. with a SS amp, you don't.

Unless you get a Randall. Otherwise I 100% agree.

• Members

View Post

not really. Dispersion is more about the shape and material of the dust cap, and just as much the shape, style, and angle of the cone.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby

View Post

This is just dumb. Not even in the realm of reality kind of dumb. Where did you possibly read this and what makes you even begin to think its true?

Because I've talked to sound guys about it and have also found it to be true on stage.

I've found it to be true some of the time and not true some of the time.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by tlbonehead

View Post

way more amp than he needs. Plus, it isn't a true 2-channel amp.

Oh God, not this {censored} again. Just because an amp doesn't have separate EQs for the channels doesn't mean it's not a two channel amp. It has separate volumes for each channel, a gain control for the drive channel, and a footswitch that switches between the two channels.

• Members

Perfect amp for this situation is a POD HD with a powered monitor or some other modeling amp that can also send a signal to the PA. The Classic 30 will need to be too loud to sound good. Send a feed to the PA and a adjust your monitor or amp volume for yourself. You can adjust the volume at the amp/monitor for you and the sound guy can keep you quieter in the mains.

• Members

View Post

What do you think about getting a single channel amp with good cleans and an OD pedal instead? What combo would you recommend if going with this option?

That's always an option. With the number of OD/Dist pedal your tone choices are endless.

Fenders are always good pedal platforms as is the PV Classic 30.

• Members

Don't sleep on the Vox and Tech 21 solid state stuff. Tubes may offer superior sound quality at higher volumes, but I wouldn't think they would be as functional for you now. I would also recommend against by a tube amp as your first amp. When you are still finding your sound and your tone, tube amps are not as optimal an investment when you can get a modeler that will let you try out a variety of sounds.

• Members

Peavey Clasic 30, if ya gotta have tubes.

For SS, I'd agree with Murdoch. A Marshall Valvestate combo would be fine. Not Marshalls finest offering, but good tones are easilly coaxed out of one, and they can be had for a decent price.

Another option would be one of the Crate Palominos. Crate gets alot of hate, but those palominos sound pretty damned good for the price. Mark Knopfler loves them.

• Members

I'm curious as to why the budget is so high for something like this?

What's your current rig? Without knowing more, I'd suggest a mustang from fender since it's probably the best sounding modelling amp i've heard and is good for low volumes. What amp are you currently using that's too loud for a church with 80 people?

• Members

View Post

I'm a beginner electric player looking for a 2-channel amp. I play at church so it's mostly rock tones, like Chris Tomlin and Hillsongs songs.

Doesn't matter if it is tube or solid state, but I need the following:

1. Best tone for low volume. I'm always getting complaints that the electric guitar is too loud (room of about 80 people). Is there an amp that has full sounding tone at low volume?

2. 2-channels and foot switchable (one for crunch parts and one for lead parts).

3. Speaker needs to have decent dispersion, so that those directly in front don't hear it super loud and those on the sides barely hear it. I will mic the amp to the FOH to help with this.

4. Sounds good with my Agile AL-3500 (Les Paul style). I will be plugging in directly to the amp and won't be using pedals.

5. Lightweight, since I will be carrying it every week.

6. Money is not an object, but prefer $1000 or less.

Am I beyond help? smile.gif

Try the 15W ibanez Head only 300$ and this head is can rival with my 50W

• Members

Have you thought about a Line6 Flextone II/III?

Even with the el cheapo footswitch you've got 4 channels to play with, the tone is great even at low volume, the 1x12 versions are pretty lightweight, and there's a great XLR out for running into the PA. You can pick em up for as low as $200 or so, with a floorboard included.

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74

View Post

Again, I will reemphasize my previous suggestion: Fender Mustang III. I can't think of a better amp for this type of situation. You take your guitar the amp and a cable to the gig and you're ready to go. The amp is also super light and sounds great at low volumes.

Awesome choice. Good modelling, light and you can get a basic 2-button footswitch if you don't want to spash out on a floorboard. Just remember - as with any modelling amp - to create your patches at a decent gigging volume.

Archived