Beginner needs 2-channel amp, good low volume tone, lightweight, footswitch

Grayson73

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74

View Post

Again, I will reemphasize my previous suggestion: Fender Mustang III. I can't think of a better amp for this type of situation. You take your guitar the amp and a cable to the gig and you're ready to go. The amp is also super light and sounds great at low volumes.

I couldn't agree more.

It is a perfect amp for a beginner.

1. Lightweight

2. Headphone jack ( very important to anyone within ear reach)

3. interface is very intuitive

4. affordable

5. sounds great anywhere under half volume.

I keep a Mustang III in my office at home and play through it almost every day. I can get just about any tone I want from it just by turning a few knobs ( No {censored}ing around scrolling through 5 layers of menus) and at a level that will not have the neighbors calling the police. The amp also doesn't have the maintenance issues Valve amps have.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Kardula

View Post

I'm curious as to why the budget is so high for something like this?

What's your current rig? Without knowing more, I'd suggest a mustang from fender since it's probably the best sounding modelling amp i've heard and is good for low volumes. What amp are you currently using that's too loud for a church with 80 people?

I'm willing to spend up to $1000, but of course if the difference in tone between a $300 and $1000 amp is minimal, then I'd go for the $300 amp. I currently have a Mesa Express 5:25. I tried the 5W setting, but I think the 25W setting with master volume barely turned on sounds better. However, I'm guessing that I'm not getting the best tone out of this amp because the master volume is so low. I'm wondering if something with a built in attenuator like a Vox AC4TV, Bugera V5, or VHT Special 6 Ultra would work better. Guess I need to try all of these, Peavey Classic 30, and Fender Mustang III

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by chrispsullivan

View Post

Oh God, not this {censored} again. Just because an amp doesn't have separate EQs for the channels doesn't mean it's not a two channel amp. It has separate volumes for each channel, a gain control for the drive channel, and a footswitch that switches between the two channels.

and "shared" EQ section.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson73

View Post

I'm willing to spend up to $1000, but of course if the difference in tone between a $300 and $1000 amp is minimal, then I'd go for the $300 amp. I currently have a Mesa Express 5:25. I tried the 5W setting, but I think the 25W setting with master volume barely turned on sounds better. However, I'm guessing that I'm not getting the best tone out of this amp because the master volume is so low. I'm wondering if something with a built in attenuator like a Vox AC4TV, Bugera V5, or VHT Special 6 Ultra would work better. Guess I need to try all of these, Peavey Classic 30, and Fender Mustang III

doesn't matter really what you are guessing. Do you like the tone at low settings? That's what I would go by.

Archived