OT: Some Kind of Gun Thread

FourT6and2

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Kardula

View Post

bought a remington 870 from walmart yesterday, first gun I've owned. The gf didn't like the mossberg 500 as much, felt the 870 was more robust and more like a tool than a toy (no offense mossberg lovers/owners). Shot 30 or so shells through it today, feels good but now my shoulder hurts lol. I'll have to have my gf's dad actually show me how to shoot.

Toy? Nah son, nah. icon_lol.gif

590.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by midnightlaundry

View Post

I want one of these! A little pocket terror. I don't care if it's purple. biggrin.gif

{censored}ty cell phone pic..

120312_17371.jpg

Shot my buddies at the range. If it's what I'm thinking. He's got the little ruger .380. I really didn't like it. The trigger is horrid. I'd rather carry a slightly bigger pistol that I shoot well personally. The little blowback style .380's handle and shoot like {censored}. You're far better off just getting a small 9mm with a real trigger.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by madryan

View Post

Only problem I see is the position of the safety. I love the Mossberg safety but I never put pistolgrips on pump guns anymore.

I didn't like it with the pistol grip at first but I can manipulate it quickly after practicing. Also in a pinch if you had to you can still hold this like it's a traditional stock and manipulate the safety the same. That said the only time I see that being an issue is if you had to quick flip off the safety and fire. Truthfully if I felt threatened by something enough to even grab the shotgun then the safety is already off and the only other safety is my finger. smile.gif At that point it wouldn't matter where the safety was.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mesa4x12er2

View Post

I didn't like it with the pistol grip at first but I can manipulate it quickly after practicing. Also in a pinch if you had to you can still hold this like it's a traditional stock and manipulate the safety the same. That said the only time I see that being an issue is if you had to quick flip off the safety and fire. Truthfully if I felt threatened by something enough to even grab the shotgun then the safety is already off and the only other safety is my finger. smile.gif At that point it wouldn't matter where the safety was.

True dat.

Only thing I ever use a safety on is my AR and that's just because I automatically flip it on and off from years of shooting them for Uncle Sugar.

I'm actually probably gonna pick up an 870 and stick a pistol grip on it and load it with buckshot and stick it in the car in a rack locked under the seat all the time. I spend alot of time in the boonies so having access to some serious firepower is never a bad thing.

• Members

View Post

True dat.

Only thing I ever use a safety on is my AR and that's just because I automatically flip it on and off from years of shooting them for Uncle Sugar.

I'm actually probably gonna pick up an 870 and stick a pistol grip on it and load it with buckshot and stick it in the car in a rack locked under the seat all the time. I spend alot of time in the boonies so having access to some serious firepower is never a bad thing.

Funny you mention that with the AR. I've never been military but I do that with my SCAR too. idn_smilie.gif I guess it's just habit since it's so close. I like 870s too but I've never liked those trigger guard safeties either. I didn't even like them back when I was shooting BB guns as a kid. If I were in your neck of the woods I would definitely be happy to have a shotgun around as well. I'd put 18 rounds of 9mm in a bear and he'd still just eat me. icon_lol.giffrown.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mesa4x12er2

View Post

Funny you mention that with the AR. I've never been military but I do that with my SCAR too. idn_smilie.gif I guess it's just habit since it's so close. I like 870s too but I've never liked those trigger guard safeties either. I didn't even like them back when I was shooting BB guns as a kid. If I were in your neck of the woods I would definitely be happy to have a shotgun around as well. I'd put 18 rounds of 9mm in a bear and he'd still just eat me. icon_lol.giffrown.gif

I see bears quite a bit and unless there's cubs involved they'll run away if you wave your arms and yell. I'm more worried about pot growers and cookers and whatnot.

Here's me shooting my shotty from when my buddy Doug was up for Thanksgiving. He's a Capt. in the AF (EOD) still. We grew up together.

08036381-7074-43ED-A6DF-6B8C58C2E24A-492

Doug shooting my Glock 34...

9F02CB1B-6A37-4418-B6C5-D74836C69849-492

Doug shooting my Shotty...

FC3BCEDB-2882-4C26-A581-69F493229BFF-492

• Members

View Post

Shot my buddies at the range. If it's what I'm thinking. He's got the little ruger .380. I really didn't like it. The trigger is horrid. I'd rather carry a slightly bigger pistol that I shoot well personally. The little blowback style .380's handle and shoot like {censored}. You're far better off just getting a small 9mm with a real trigger.

That's a Taurus TCP380, it has a pretty sweet trigger. http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...rumbseries=738

The Ruger is butt ugly, so it's not on the list, and I did read that the trigger blows. They had a little S&W with a laser that looked cool, but had the worst double action only trigger ever; super heavy and long. What a POS. http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

But I think a little pocket carry would be cool.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by midnightlaundry

View Post

That's a Taurus TCP380, it has a pretty sweet trigger. http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...rumbseries=738

The Ruger is butt ugly, so it's not on the list, and I did read that the trigger blows. They had a little S&W with a laser that looked cool, but had the worst double action only trigger ever; super heavy and long. What a POS. http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

But I think a little pocket carry would be cool.

Gotcha. With my CompTac Minotaur holster my Glock 19 will conceal under anything so I don't worry. It's super comfy. I don't carry much anyway.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Soundstorm

View Post

So I'm going through this thread because i've been thinking about getting my first handgun for home defense and target practicing. But I've been thinking about revolvers. Not even sure what to get. I saw an older .357 Ruger service revolver in a reputable gun shop here (used) for $325, the guy said he'd do $300 cash. My roommate bought a brand new Colt 1911 awhile back. It looked amazing, but it's $1200 and besides I never got to shoot it. I guess I'm leaning more towards a very reliable revolver that shoots well.

Any suggestion, gun bros?

What's the going rate for a Python in the States? A 1970s, or later, in top condition goes for around

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by FourT6and2

View Post

Arrived today! I'm PSYCHED! Hitting the range tomorrow to break it in.

kobra_large_by_haftelm-d5nvhbe.jpg

Looks like you've got some potential life-long keeper material. How's the front strap and slide "serrations" working out?

Makes me think of the heartbroken "WeaponsEducation" guy and the "Ed Brown is rude" song. icon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeth Man

View Post

Looks like you've got some potential life-long keeper material. How's the front strap and slide "serrations" working out?

Makes me think of the heartbroken "WeaponsEducation" guy and the "Ed Brown is rude" song. icon_lol.gif

lol the WeaponsEd guy is butthurt. Plus I watched a vid where he and another guy tried to show you how to field strip a 1911 and they didn't know what the hell they were doing. This is my first 1911 (and first gun, period) and I stripped and cleaned this Kobra last night no problem. And I don't care if Ed Brown is a jerk. They have a new customer service guy that seems to be handling everything really well now. Haven't heard the Ed Brown is rude song, though.

As far as the gun goes, I love how it feels in the hand. The "snakeskin" checkering is really cool in that if you slide your hand with the grain, it's smooth. But when you go against it (like when racking the slide) it bites in. Really nice! smile.gif I like it more than traditional stippling. Stippling feels too sharp to me and it can be too much at times. This one feels like it's made for my hand. Very happy.

Hitting the range later today; will report back.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by FourT6and2

View Post

lol the WeaponsEd guy is butthurt. Plus I watched a vid where he and another guy tried to show you how to field strip a 1911 and they didn't know what the hell they were doing. This is my first 1911 (and first gun, period) and I stripped and cleaned this Kobra last night no problem. And I don't care if Ed Brown is a jerk. They have a new customer service guy that seems to be handling everything really well now. Haven't heard the Ed Brown is rude song, though.

As far as the gun goes, I love how it feels in the hand. The "snakeskin" checkering is really cool in that if you slide your hand with the grain, it's smooth. But when you go against it (like when racking the slide) it bites in. Really nice! smile.gif I like it more than traditional stippling. Stippling feels too sharp to me and it can be too much at times. This one feels like it's made for my hand. Very happy.

Hitting the range later today; will report back.

Cool, hopefully it performs for you as well as it appears to be crafted. It'll be interesting to see how it compares to your groups in the OP.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by theAntihero

View Post

If you think Federal is dirty try Wolf one time, not only do they use apparently coal in their powder but also from the smell of it, donkey dung.

2 failures to feed arent terrible if the gun is brand new but for the record thats higher than a Hi-Point i own.

Also for the record the oddities are why i strongly suggested against a high dollar 1911 for your first gun, but congrats nonetheless.

I think it was the ammo, honestly. The gun shoots fine other than the two FTFs and brass not ejecting far enough. I'll sort it out. I'm pretty happy otherwise! smile.gif

Archived